HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:33 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Picked up a carbon z cub for aero tow. I plan on a ribbon both ends, thinking where I fly we need to drop the tow line before landing.
tailsld is online now Find More Posts by tailsld
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
523 Posts
You only need it at the glider end, more to see when it's released and also to make the tow line drag behind the tow plane after glider release, You'll still see the ribbon on the glider end if you then drop the tow line from the tow plane and only having one ribbon will mean it comes down quicker.

Plus if the glider can't release and you have to release at the tow plane then you don't want the extra drag of an additional ribbon on the glider.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
United States, MO, Dexter
Joined Dec 2013
28 Posts
Kate & Fun Cub

Dave…..Thanks, you've answered my question about tow line release very well. Have been reading the F/C threads on the Foamy (kits) section looking for info about this subject but with so many postings I just gave-up on the subject!! Will probably order the F/C next week and get ready to do some late summer soaring.
Thanks again
oldsailer is offline Find More Posts by oldsailer
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,994 Posts
I'm going to use my Sport Cub to tow my K8
Should be just the ticket
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
I finally joined the Ka-8 2.25m club yesterday.

I win farthest distance travelled to purchase at a hobby shop. Flew from Vermont to San Diego, picked a BNF Ka-8 up at Discount Hobby Warehouse (totally awesome old school style shop), didn't fit in the trunk of the rental car, so it had to sit on my duaghters lap in the rear seat. Dropped it off at a FedEx shipping center and sent her back home! Should be at work when I return.

Then I can start designing some proper studioRS sticker sets for this little beauty.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
672 Posts
I had the misfortune of watching a KA-8 almost come apart today when the tow release malfunctioned. The pilot counted down... "three, two, one, I'm off" & then a second later realized he was definitely NOT off tow. The towplane had started its diving decent back to the field & the poor KA-8 was flopping around back there like a rag-doll. I'm amazed the wings stayed on. He fumbled with the release switch for what seemed like an eternity & finally did release. Scary stuff.

We're not sure what happened exactly but the KA-8 pilot came up with this theory... He believes the tow-line was slack at the time he hit the release. The pin retracted for half a second as usual but because there was no tension on the line the loop somehow managed to stay in place & was then re-captured moments later as the pin returned to its locked position.

I'm not sure I'm buying this theory but it is at least plausible. Regardless I can't say I like the KA-8's release system. I've owned dozens of aerotow gliders including giant scale sailplanes & this KA-8 is the only one I've encountered that has a release that doesn't remain open once the release switch is flipped. That's one screwy design, makes no sense for an aerotow release.

Again not convinced a slack line during release was actually the problem but I thought I'd give everyone a heads-up. Oh & as an aerotow tug pilot I'd like to request glider pilots actually confirm they're off tow before saying they are. Don't just flip the switch & holler "I'm off". Doing that will bite you hard one of these days.
Nodd is online now Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Joined May 2009
31 Posts
I experienced the opposite problem with the release mechanism. We were using fishing line for the tow, and it self released from the mechanism on 2 occasions. Caused confusion for both the glider and tug pilots.

Of course we couldn't replicate the problem on the ground, and can only assume that the rod does not insert into the body far enough, so the line some how managed to work it's way around the end of the rod.

Now using a thicker line and it's OK.
chippypilot is offline Find More Posts by chippypilot
Old Today, 06:23 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
523 Posts
I'm guessing it's because it's a solenoid to retract the pin, so to keep it retracted would need continuous power, so it only powers on for a while and then powers off and is spring loaded back. Never had a problem releasing but we did have one unexplained release.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS