HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:09 AM
Chuck1073
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
I used CaptJack's idle-up settings on my mCPx with great success. Spin it up in normal (DX6i), switch to idle-up and lift off abut half stick. Easy peasy. Next comes the 450 with those settings.
chuck1073 is offline Find More Posts by chuck1073
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, AL, Morris
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
I want to try these settings on my mcpx as well, but I don't have a pitch gauge. Is there one that works well for the mcpx?
steveap1 is offline Find More Posts by steveap1
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:10 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveap1 View Post
I want to try these settings on my mcpx as well, but I don't have a pitch gauge. Is there one that works well for the mcpx?
You can eyeball the blades on an mCPx (almost as close as a pitch gauge) by "sighting" down the blade from the ends. The blade tips are nearly flat - so 0 is pretty easy to determine - then "reverse-engineer" the rest of the settings by adding (or subtracting) 20% to the percentage number on your pitch curve. Example if 0 is 44% ... try 52% for 2 ... 60% for 4 ... 68% for 6 ... 36% for -2 Should be close enough for government purposes but tweak the numbers for best results
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
You can eyeball the blades on an mCPx (almost as close as a pitch gauge) by "sighting" down the blade from the ends. The blade tips are nearly flat - so 0 is pretty easy to determine - then "reverse-engineer" the rest of the settings by adding (or subtracting) 20% to the percentage number on your pitch curve. Example if 0 is 44% ... try 52% for 2 ... 60% for 4 ... 68% for 6 ... 36% for -2 Should be close enough for government purposes but tweak the numbers for best results
Thanks for the info. I think I am following...not sure I got the part about adding/subtracting 20% (?), but it looks like you are estimating 4 percentage points for each degree using the percentage at 0 as the 'base.' I understand it's a ball park.

Can't wait to try it out. I have the hardest time controlling altitude on that little mcpx...hoping this will make things more stable.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:06 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveap1 View Post
I have the hardest time controlling altitude on that little mcpx...hoping this will make things more stable.
I put a couple of more packs thru my Hausler and I can attest that it is easier to control altitude with this pitch curve in the radio. My 450 is much easier to fly now that I have made this change. My control is much more precise. Before I was struggling to keep from bobbing all over the place.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:37 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,105 Posts
CaptJac

Wandering round the forums, and chanced across your thread by accident. Wish I had found it earlier.
I have been messing with helicopters for a while, and have amassed quite a fleet. However, my interest has always been in the mechanical side rather than the flying.
I am at the stage where I can hover out complete packs and move around a bit, but there I seem to have reached a barrier.
Mostly self taught, with a few tips picked up from the forums, but reading your intro has shown me a complete new way of doing things, can't wait for the wind and rain to die down so I can give it a try.
Echo your thoughts in the title '3d is not for everyone'. I get so frustrated when every new model on the market is reviewed for its 3d capabilities,
TBH, even watching 3d leaves me a little cold. Always felt I could do the same thing by getting the model into the hover then switching the transmitter off, lol.
Anyway, if still available, I would like a copy of your book.
Please,to jeff.cottrell@blueyonder.co.uk

Couple of things to ask.

Like many, I suppose I always associated Idle Up with a 3d set up. I did try with my 450Pro a while back, but I could never decide how to handle the transition from Normal mode.
Finally decided to try, and see what happens. Result was a loud thud, but happily only a small repair bill.
Looks like your system will make that a lot less painful.

Also, I note you recommend, in case of difficulty, hitting throttle hold rather than slamming down collective.
I always set my throttle hold to zero, so I can play with the controls without the motor bursting into life.
I assume your advice still holds good for this case?
Also, I fly JR, which has a completely separate pitch curve for throttle hold mode.
Can I assume this curve is set to the same as the Idle Up curve, so that cutting the throttle lets the model settle gently using the inertia of the blades?

Thanks again for your advice, and for giving me the impetus to overcome this barrier.

Cheers

Borderlord
Border Lord is online now Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:52 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,943 Posts
Hi Jeff - all your assumptions are on the money! FAQs 102 has taken off and should be at the arrival gate before you get there

Have a great read!
captJac
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,105 Posts
CaptJac

Boy, that was quick.
Sitting at my computer staring out at the rain barrelling down, I could do with something to take my mind off it.
Thanks to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee (good on yer, ma'am) we have just had a four day weekend. Guess what, not one flyable day all through.
Ho hum, good to be in England.
Anyway, I have a HK 450 ver2, IMHO one of the best of the clones, and it will be getting the CaptJac treatment ready for when (if) the weather ever relents.

Wish me luck.

Borderlord
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Capt Jac,
Your numbers work wonders for my MCPX. Thank you very much. I would like a copy of your book as well. Thanks again.
ira@organicgem.com
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Aug 2003
581 Posts
hi, yes ,second set of wieghts at paddles .i have that on futaba fast ,right now have set 30
on elevator and aileron for expo ,,good way to set expo is to have heli running on ground
just enough to have blades spinning,then move right stick left and right ,like you would if
flying heli ,if you see the roter head is ocassionaly tipping forward or back also
adjust elevator expo .for aleron move stick forward and back,look for left or right tip
if you think 50 on daul rate would be too low try 60 first
mdugas is online now Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Aug 2003
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
Mdugas,

I will have to try the second set of weights? Did you put them all the way out to the paddles? My Hausler is also on 500 skids and pipes.

What expo did you use with your 60 and 50 rate setting? I am a rookie at this but 50 seems pretty low for the rate.

RWW
hi ,second set of wieghts all the way out,,im using futaba fast ,expo 30 on elevator and aileron ,you can determin how much you need by having heli
running at low rpm on ground ,move riight stick left and right ,if you see roter disk moving tipping forward or back also ,then adjust elevator expo
move stick forward and back to check for left or right tip to set aleron expo .
if you think 50daulrate to low try 60 first
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,105 Posts
mdugas

Little puzzled by what's going on here.
Expo is a way of reducing the control sensitivity around centre stick. It should have no connection whatsoever with control interraction.
IMHO, if you have forward/back movement when putting side control in, then you need to look for another problem.
FWIW, I have never used expo on a helicopter. My thinking is that as you move the stick, you get very little initial reaction, which causes you to add more stick. Then the movement suddenly kicks in, so you push the stick the other way in a panic, then you are in an overcontrolling situation.
Far better to leave out the expo, and practice using small control movements.
I generally use 60% rates for the initial flight of a new helicopter. Once I know how sensitive it is, I either go to full rate or adjust the low rate to taste.
Only my thoughts, hope they help

Borderlord
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1073 View Post
I used CaptJack's idle-up settings on my mCPx with great success.
Same here! My take-offs are incredibly smooth, and as CaptJack has said, a stable take off is essential to a stable hover.

Now all I gotta do is learn to land skids down
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Aug 2003
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
mdugas

Little puzzled by what's going on here.
Expo is a way of reducing the control sensitivity around centre stick. It should have no connection whatsoever with control interraction.
IMHO, if you have forward/back movement when putting side control in, then you need to look for another problem.
FWIW, I have never used expo on a helicopter. My thinking is that as you move the stick, you get very little initial reaction, which causes you to add more stick. Then the movement suddenly kicks in, so you push the stick the other way in a panic, then you are in an overcontrolling situation.
Far better to leave out the expo, and practice using small control movements.
I generally use 60% rates for the initial flight of a new helicopter. Once I know how sensitive it is, I either go to full rate or adjust the low rate to taste.
Only my thoughts, hope they help

Borderlord
i was talking using expo to help eliminate interaction due to beginer /nervous thumb.even when using small inputs .
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:35 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Well I can finally offer some feedback. I bought a MCPX yesterday (Monday), and put in some "Tame" settings so I could have some hope of actually flying the thing. Flew it outside today in the front courtyard, limited space, but did manage to get a hover. Then I tried the first (450) settings on this thread and found it quite easy to manage. If anything it was a bit slow, but I'm yet to try the MCPX settings, and I've set the pitch purely by eye (Read,guesswork!). Managed to get a few good hovers out of it, a bit of flight in all directions (Unintentional but necessary) and quite a few good landings. Given, they were mostly forced, but i figure if it settles onto the skids and nothing's broken, it's a landing as opposed to a crash

My only problem is it seems to want to move backwards on liftoff
I know I'm not supposed to use any cyclic on liftoff but found a nudge on the elevator was required to get it airborne. Would leveling the swash help here?

I highly recommend any newb starting out with CP to go for a MCPX with these settings. TBH it is just as easy to fly as my 120 SR was when I first got it. And if I can fly it anyone can
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Closed Thread