HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:22 AM
Lucid Dreamer
kobkobico's Avatar
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
I was wondering if anybody has tried AP with a solar balloon. You can see how to build them here: http://www.solar-balloons.com/howto.html

I've never actually built one, but I was thinking you could probably attach a little "pod" on it with a camera, a single servo, a receiver, and maybe a GPS. This #11 camera would be perfect. You'd rig it so that moving the servo would detach the pod from the balloon. I think all you'd need is a streamer and some bubble wrap on the bottom so the pod wouldn't drift too far.

The cool thing about this is that you should be able to release the pod when you can barely make out the balloon. What limits me with my plane is that I lose orientation, but I think with one of these you could go much higher for little money.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:40 AM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobkobico View Post
I was wondering if anybody has tried AP with a solar balloon. You can see how to build them here: http://www.solar-balloons.com/howto.html

I've never actually built one, but I was thinking you could probably attach a little "pod" on it with a camera, a single servo, a receiver, and maybe a GPS. This #11 camera would be perfect. You'd rig it so that moving the servo would detach the pod from the balloon. I think all you'd need is a streamer and some bubble wrap on the bottom so the pod wouldn't drift too far.

The cool thing about this is that you should be able to release the pod when you can barely make out the balloon. What limits me with my plane is that I lose orientation, but I think with one of these you could go much higher for little money.
In some countries, dropping things from the sky causes a Big Unsmiling Man With A Blue Flashing Head to come knocking at your door......
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:04 AM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkadam View Post
Hey what is this? Long time not here hearing now that there are 3 different version of the #11 cam? How to identify mine? Heard there is now a jumbo version with a larger battery? what is the capacity?
...
Post#2 is your friend for questions like this...
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:09 AM
Lucid Dreamer
kobkobico's Avatar
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
In some countries, dropping things from the sky causes a Big Unsmiling Man With A Blue Flashing Head to come knocking at your door......
Mike
True, good point... I couldn't do it in my area because we have a small airport about 3 miles away and I don't want to endanger anyone.

I'm sure it could be done in a "middle of nowhere" area but then there wouldn't be much of a view.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
KC's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobkobico View Post
I was wondering if anybody has tried AP with a solar balloon. You can see how to build them here: http://www.solar-balloons.com/howto.html...
iPhone goes to space. #11 with a GPS device... perfectly doable.

Homemade Spacecraft (6 min 59 sec)



KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Jun 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:27 PM
Just thumbing through...
victapilot's Avatar
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,348 Posts
It could be easy with a weather balloon from Ebay, and only a light load. This is worth reading
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:08 PM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
What are the dimensions of the battery? My #11 hasn't arrived yet to measure. Will be sometime, just ordered 2 Cams today.
Can't find anything in FAQ section as to size.
Maybe should be in there somewhere.
Like maybe the "My camera battery died and need to replace it." section.

??/??/??mm


Thanks
RcNutDave is offline Find More Posts by RcNutDave
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:40 PM
Must not buy more planes!
mclarkson's Avatar
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,270 Posts
Argh! One of my cameras had problems (detailed a few pages back.) The vendor was supportive, but I have to send the camera back to China so they can send me a replacement.

No problem, except ... the post office won't let me. My wife took it in today, and she says: "When I went to mail this I had to explain what it was. Then the post office employees (I ended up talking to a supervisor) informed me that cameras are on a list of things, along with wristwatches, radios, TV sets, and other common electronic items, that are prohibited from being sent to China."

That's both crazy and disappointing. And crazy. All those things come from China in the first place!
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Last edited by mclarkson; Jun 20, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:20 PM
Registered User
Michigan, USA
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
#13 1080p AVI MJPEG

2011 June 26 UPDATE - a second video sample from the #13 has no missing frames for the first 4 seconds, then 67% missing frames. Terrible. See YouTube videos wWQao7y4trY and 8eew3A9CVQc.

==========

If you like the #11 you probably won't be interested in the #13.

The FPS is only 15 but the missing frame rate is zero, the image sensor seems to be 1920x1080 and the AVI file is 1920x1080.

It has a slightly different case than the #11 but is about the same size.

Preliminary information comes from one outdoor video sample provided by a camera seller. Although the video exposure is dark and high contrast, the video frames are sharp and the shutter speed is much faster than the FPS.

Information about camera features like composite video output and battery life are unknown until somebody does some bench tests.

www.chucklohr.com/808/C13

-- Chuck at www.chucklohr.com/808
Normandy5 is offline Find More Posts by Normandy5
Last edited by Normandy5; Jun 26, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcNutDave View Post
What are the dimensions of the battery? My #11 hasn't arrived yet to measure. Will be sometime, just ordered 2 Cams today.
Can't find anything in FAQ section as to size.
Maybe should be in there somewhere.
Like maybe the "My camera battery died and need to replace it." section.

??/??/??mm


Thanks
The battery size is the same as the old 808... 4mm x 20mm x 30mm. I have not found a source for one that size with 250 mAH rated capacity other than from the orginal sellers. I'll add the size info to the FAQs.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:59 PM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
......I'll add the size info to the FAQs.


Thanks Tom
RcNutDave is offline Find More Posts by RcNutDave
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:10 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Paxman's Avatar
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
The battery looks very similar to the ones used for micro helis. Only those are LiPo and might not be the best option since they need to be charged with a LiPo-charger. However, if the voltage is the same a LiPo could be a good alternative since the can be charged much faster. Or am I missing something here...?
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:21 PM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
Glad I bought these then.

I have 6 of them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4268
RcNutDave is offline Find More Posts by RcNutDave
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:25 PM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman View Post
The battery looks very similar to the ones used for micro helis. Only those are LiPo and might not be the best option since they need to be charged with a LiPo-charger. However, if the voltage is the same a LiPo could be a good alternative since the can be charged much faster. Or am I missing something here...?

YES, these are LIPO's
RcNutDave is offline Find More Posts by RcNutDave
Last edited by RcNutDave; Jun 20, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:33 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
KC's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Hobby King has some (supposedly) 240 mAh 1s lipos for $1.82, but doesn't appear to have the LVC protection PCB. The reviews indicates that the actual capacity is more realistically around 180 mAh. (but the measurements were made at a much higher Amp draw than what the #11 uses.)

The size seems to be very close.

KC

Edit: Has anyone charged a depleted OEM #11 lipo with an external charger to see what the actual capacity is?
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Jun 20, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Samurai with key cam AeroNut45 Electric Plane Talk 2 Oct 30, 2010 11:40 PM
Found found beladog FPV Equipment (FS/W) 1 Oct 30, 2010 01:01 PM
Discussion Any sign of True real time HD FPV gear....not secondary HD CAM ???!! khaled_abobakr FPV Talk 8 Oct 10, 2010 07:13 AM
Mini-Review Key Chain Cam for your autogyro!!! imsofaman Auto Gyros 7 Sep 10, 2010 07:10 AM