HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:06 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
2000ft

Well I finally found one of those 'Thermal' thingies

Wow what a ride!! It took the Phoenix up to over 2000ft (642m) at which point I lost sight of it in a thin cloud layer! I pushed the stick forward and there were a few anxious moments until I regained sight of the P2K as it came out of the cloud in a vertical dive.

Credit must go to the local Wedge-tail Eagles who initially showed me where to look. And also to the FrSky telemetry feedback (open9x vario) which really helped to find and maintain the climb in the thermal. However at 1000ft a preset alarm went off that unfortunately this silenced the Vario meaning the climb from 1000-2000ft was done on visual only.

I'll upload the video of the flight soon so you can all critique my thermalling technique, but until then here is the Altitude logs - one in ft, one in m:

Name: 20121104_P2K_Tyers_Thermal ft.fda.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 54.1 KB
Description: Thermal ride to 2000ft with stock Phoenix 2000 Name: 20121104_P2K_Tyers_Thermal m.fda.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 54.5 KB
Description: Thermal ride to 642m with stock Phoenix 2000
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:49 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,215 Posts
Awesome! Very nice work. Where were you flying? You must have good concentration and skill. I am also impressed with the phoenix, and envious of your flight maca. Those thermal thingies are a mystery to me too. Although haven't really gone looking for them. Maybe you need a spotter along with binoculars, well done.
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Awesome! Very nice work. Where were you flying? You must have good concentration and skill. I am also impressed with the phoenix, and envious of your flight maca. Those thermal thingies are a mystery to me too. Although haven't really gone looking for them. Maybe you need a spotter along with binoculars, well done.
Thanks very much for the complement. I was flying down in a beautiful area of rural Gippsland. I think conditions were just right for thermals that day. I haven't found anything like this kind of lift in Melbourne yet, but I am encouraged to keep looking for it now, and hope to find a spot with strong thermals near home. (I envy the US guys who seem to get regular Thunderstorms and the 'hat sucker' thermals that go with it.)

I'm not sure about skill, but definitely concentration was important. As you know you can't take your eyes off the plane for a second at this height or else you will struggle to find it again. Next time I climb this high in a Thermal I would like to have some FPV gear to make it even more thrilling!

Do you have any video from your Torquay flight? The view must have been spectacular from the height you got to!
maca55 is offline Find More Posts by maca55
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maca55 View Post
Well I finally found one of those 'Thermal' thingies

Wow what a ride!! It took the Phoenix up to over 2000ft (642m) at which point I lost sight of it in a thin cloud layer! I pushed the stick forward and there were a few anxious moments until I regained sight of the P2K as it came out of the cloud in a vertical dive.

Oh man, I'm jealous! 2000 feet? Wow. I've only been to 986 feet.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:32 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Oh man, I'm jealous! 2000 feet? Wow. I've only been to 986 feet.
me too Hg, awesome lift for maca and a patient flyer.

i got some footage of my first flight. this is the first motor run of two before I landed and went up higher. i cut the motor in the footage at about 250m the log says. Torquay sure is booming at the moment, I flew behind bunnings on the way into the township, if you know the area.
although I said I was flying the next day I wasn't able too, my young daughter had other ideas, especially about going to the beach to swim, oh well. I was hoping to get some close footage along the beaches and shore line, next time.

torquay phoenix (1 min 25 sec)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
Hey Must fly ,
" I flew behind bunnings on the way into the township,"

What is a Bunning ? for us over here ? Maybe we have some and don't even know it

Thanks ....te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Isn't it an awesome feeling when you cut the motor and just glide around? I think I enjoy gliding with the motor off more than I enjoy flying with the motor on.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:02 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Tom, I'll help!

I'm pretty sure he means 'Bunning's Hardware' - Sells tools, power tools, timber etc, etc.

The stores are massive and have the market just about cornered. However there is an American company that just has open it's first store here which I've heard make a Bunning's look tiny. I like the idea of the competition because it will push the prices (which are already pretty good) down even further.

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Isn't it an awesome feeling when you cut the motor and just glide around? I think I enjoy gliding with the motor off more than I enjoy flying with the motor on.
Most gliders are a poor excuse for a powered plane. If your motor is running you aren't soaring! Just wait until that first time you really catch a monster thermal and fly your plane nearly out of sight. It isn't better than sex but it's hard to have more fun without dropping your pants.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,215 Posts
Thanks for that fugitive! Sorry for the local reference, i guess what I was trying to convey was that I found a quiet out of the way spot to fly, in a new industrial subdivision where the 'Bunnings hardwhare' chain of stores had located. The spot was a little inland and the wind was subdued down low, or I was shelted from it, making for easy landings.
So Asheville, North Carolina? Where do you go locally for ca and epoxy? Do you get to the coast at all Tom? You are up in the mountains, some 2000ft above sea level, good spot for thermals, or is there a dynamic soaring scene there? Not that the phoenix could participate. Do you have some flight footage where you fly Tom?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:49 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
my set up is

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_750kv.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...op_Blades.html

think I saw 13x7 there too, 8mm root and 3mm pin
i have a sentry 40 amp esc, 3amp bec corona 12g metal gear servos for rudder and elevator, 9 gram for ail and flap. so using a 2200 20c 4s nothing special with the batt can use 3s but the batt tray is out and batt is velcroed in on the fus floor as far back as you can get it, against the servo mount. Rx is also slid back past servo mounts, no extra weight added though. nice light spinner required too, 5mm shaft, I don't like any of the hk ones. here is a vid with this set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjYjL...ature=youtu.be

if you check back at post 2350, page 157, it is the same set up, have fun
Ordered! I had to get a 13x7 with a 45mm adaptor for a 5mm shaft. Hopefully this set up works!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:14 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,790 Posts
I've also dialed in the flaps with 0.8s delay for thermalling and the landing setting at about 50 degrees and man this thing slows to walking pace I can land it in about 15 metres rather than the 50 before the flaps. I might get an 8 channel rx for some more advanced settings like crow and flapperons.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:57 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Ordered! I had to get a 13x7 with a 45mm adaptor for a 5mm shaft. Hopefully this set up works!
13x7 will be fine, I have used 13x9, but as the flight results show 13x6.5 gave 460m in 32 secs on 4s. I like an 8-12 sec run to drive up then woosh back. The phoenix has a terminal speed that is very comfortable for small spaces ie a park oval, which suits me in Melb. Hope this set up is what you are looking for, let us know how you get on or if you have any issues
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:30 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,790 Posts
Will do mate cheers!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:17 AM
Perth WA
Joined Jul 2009
15 Posts
Stock Phoenix - motor adapter

Hi Folks
Does anyone know how to remove the adapter from the motor shaft? I've taken off the spinner/propellor but can't see how to remove the adapter so that I can get to the 4 screws which hold the motor onto the firewall.
Any comments much appreciated thanks.
amteff is offline Find More Posts by amteff