United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Check your lateral CG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
Limited, I took out the washers... Man are those heavy. The plane still needs a little more weight on the nose. Its not the prop cause I have it off and it still wants to turn... Hummmm...
Took too many out I guess....but now you can use a heavier battery.

How do you fly a plane with the prop off? No matter.

Assuming your tail is perfectly straight and neither wing is warped and the decals aren't flapping in the wind.......

Stick a nail or 2 into the right wing out at the end and see if helps. Get your COG right before doing this.

Then thank NorCaldude for the suggestion.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,683 Posts
Quote:
Ok, We just got the Bixler. We are having two problems. #1 it tends to turn to the left with power and without power. I have my trim setup all the way to the right just to counter the flight. The ailerons are centered and I have the same amount of throw for both of them. I do not understand why it likes to turn left. Rudder is center as well. Ideas?
Mine has the same problem, but to the opposite side. I never found anything obviously wrong. I set it up to glide straight with the power off (left aileron is slightly reflexed, lateral balance adjusted, rudder slightly offset) and tweeked the thrust angles to get it to fly reasonably straight under power. I spend the vast majority of my time gliding so it works for me.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:48 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
I know my plane has had some wierd tendencies since it's major crash a few months ago, but a bit of tinkering with the linkages and a small amount of trim, now I have mine setup for slow long glide, the way I have my plane is not setup at all for speed, infact unless I am flying in 15mph winds the fastest even at full throttle she will get is maybe 45 to 50km/h, which is not that fast, 30mph ish, she will glide going 9km/h (against wind), usually around 20km/h in good conditions, which is SLOW, theoretically below stall or close to it, in this configuration I have glided 5km with only 150 meter loss in altitude, with some tinkering I COULD get it to fly much faster but at the same time I would lose a lot of lift effeciency, and I personally like more effeciency then overall speed. I'm hoping to break 40m flying time, my current is 27m, I need some more thermal practice I think :P.

When I first FPV'd up my plane I was thinking the Bix would be too heavy to be very effecient for thermalling, but lately I have been learning she thermals amazingly well, the other day I gained 50m altitude within 3 relatively small circles in the thermal, so I know I can use thermals to gain altitude, now I want to see if I can achieve sustained non powered flight, which also means longer FPV flights for greater distances .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I know my plane has had some wierd tendencies since it's major crash a few months ago, but a bit of tinkering with the linkages and a small amount of trim, now I have mine setup for slow long glide, the way I have my plane is not setup at all for speed, infact unless I am flying in 15mph winds the fastest even at full throttle she will get is maybe 45 to 50km/h, which is not that fast, 30mph ish, she will glide going 9km/h (against wind), usually around 20km/h in good conditions, which is SLOW, theoretically below stall or close to it, in this configuration I have glided 5km with only 150 meter loss in altitude, with some tinkering I COULD get it to fly much faster but at the same time I would lose a lot of lift effeciency, and I personally like more effeciency then overall speed. I'm hoping to break 40m flying time, my current is 27m, I need some more thermal practice I think :P.

When I first FPV'd up my plane I was thinking the Bix would be too heavy to be very effecient for thermalling, but lately I have been learning she thermals amazingly well, the other day I gained 50m altitude within 3 relatively small circles in the thermal, so I know I can use thermals to gain altitude, now I want to see if I can achieve sustained non powered flight, which also means longer FPV flights for greater distances .
Thermals are funny. They always seem to take me up and away (down wind) where I want to go and cause me to use twice the power to get back.

Oh well, it could be worse. I could be as old as aj or as funny looking as Prof.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Sandy Hook, VA USA
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Deleted
colsen2715 is offline Find More Posts by colsen2715
Last edited by colsen2715; Jun 11, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Post Deleted
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlPic View Post
There are inconsistent results that follow the various methods; the undocumented details make the difference.

The reason - ajbaker #2149 - works is it is UNDER the wing and uses a wide piece of VelcroŽ. This means that when the wing bends up in normal flight, the velco keeps the wings from separating. Velco on top and bottom would be better for rolls and inverted.

ajbaker #2149
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2149

The reason - kmihalkov #15630 - works is the stiff pieces on top and bottom of the wing around the CF rod and turns it into an "I-beam" with lots of support for the CF rod.

kmihalkov #15630
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15630

The reason HobbyKing's (HK) blue velcro works better is the velcro is very stiff.
In the many types of velcro I have, the "hooks" (grippy part) are always stiffer than the "loops" (passive part). This means the hooks should be the bridge part that goes between the two wings.

In summery my opinion dejure (and dejour):
1) Velcro top and bottom.
2) Wide velcro or a section over the rod and another near the wing front.
3) Use stiff velcro and Bridge the wings with the stiffest part of the velcro.

The servo wires need to be flush in a small cut slot to ensure they don't keep the wings from joining. The slot needs to be beside the velco so the wires don't interfere with the velcro.

NOTE: Attach the wings without putting them through the body, flex them up/down/backwards and you can see the results of your design. Compare it to what you would expect if they were glued together.

OWLPIC

PS: All the years of "twitters" on this build-blog really makes it difficult to get the information that this blog was intended and is needed by those trying to enjoy a Bixler. At any time afterwords nonproductive comments can be replaced by the author with something of value to the hobby.
Hey man, all i meant was, it is the right answer for you, because that is what works for YOU
Please don't use the private message in such a manner without fully explaining your self in the FIRST PLACE.!
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Ok, We just got the Bixler. We are having two problems. #1 it tends to turn to the left with power and without power. I have my trim setup all the way to the right just to counter the flight. The ailerons are centered and I have the same amount of throw for both of them. I do not understand why it likes to turn left. Rudder is center as well. Ideas?
I have the exact same issue on my Bixler. The plane won't even sit level on the ground, it favors the left side... almost like there's a brick on the left side of the plane pulling it down. Anyways, what I did was use a washer as counterbalance to correct it and it flies perfectly. Please note that this only "masks" the problem, not necessarily fix it. The plane should not be going to either one side to that degree. So, if you find out what it is, please let me know (PM usually works best for me). If you don't find the cause, than at least you can still fly it without worry if you put the washer on the one side. Happy Flying!
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
You don't need to use a pusher prop. The normal APC 6x4 is the same thing only a mirror image. You just run the motor the other way.
They swapped a normal prop in the order for me today. So, on the Sky Surfer, how do I use the normal prop? Do I just mount it so the flat part is facing forward then? Or is it required to reverse the motor wiring?

I want to be able to put the stock prop on in the field though if needed, so I'd rather not mess with the wiring.

Bryan
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Hi -- mine does the same exact thing. I've done what someone here suggested and I taped 2 pennies to the underside of the right wing. That seems to have done the trick. I taped them way out almost to the part that turns upward on the wing end.
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Nov 2011
86 Posts
It seems that the lateral balance is out on quite a few of these, I know it was with mine. I had to embed a lump of lead in one wingtip (cant remember how much now) to get it to balance laterally.

I would suggest that everyone that is having issues with the plane banking to either left or right with the motor off should check the balance before changing anything. It might save you some money and could save you a lot of time scratching your head.
dandos23 is offline Find More Posts by dandos23
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:00 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
They swapped a normal prop in the order for me today. So, on the Sky Surfer, how do I use the normal prop? 1. Do I just mount it so the flat part is facing forward then?
2. Or is it required to reverse the motor wiring?

I want to be able to put the stock prop on in the field though if needed, so I'd rather not mess with the wiring.

Bryan
1. Sort of. See attached. A Picture is worth.....
2. Only if the air blows the wrong way. If the wiring is correct, the air will blow rearwards whether the prop is on backwards or not.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
779 Posts
Added a GoPro 2 to my SkySurfer UAV and it still flies great. Im still waiting for a calm day to really see what it can do.

epyonxero is online now Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
FYI, I wanted to see how much help having a gyro on the ailerons really is, so I flew in 19mph winds, and it was totally maneagable!!!

Ohh, and as a follow up on my pitch up problem at WOT since I installed the GWS motor mount, what I needed was more upthrust - not downthrust. My motor angle is now in line with angle of the nacelle, and it's perfect. At WOT, the plane no longer pitches up. I'm really enjoying this plane
fabric8 is offline Find More Posts by fabric8
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:58 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
326 Posts
on going prop issues

OK. After the canopy came off and took out the stock prop, I have had some issues. I figured that this was a good time to up to a 6x4e. The LHS did not have any so I did order some (just figured out that I ordered then from China. New order placed from US site with MUCH shorter delivery time). What I did get from LHS was some orange props. Markings say GWS ep-6030. Well, the center opening was not big enough. I drilled all 3 off them out to a sufficient diameter. Went to the field and put the plane up. At about 3/4 throttle the plane makes a gutt- wrenching sound that sounds like it is going to shake itself apart. I brought the plane down to investigate. When I ran the throttle up in my hand all was fine until about 3/4 throttle then WHAM! First the vibration then the prop self-destructed. Thinking that maybe I had somehow weakend the prop while drilling, I tried a second prop with the same results. The plane flies great at less than 3/4 throttle without any vibration. I did not balance the first 2 props. The third prop I did try to balance (I don,t have a balancer so I did the best I could) but still have the same results. I don't know the manufacturer of the props. I have posted a video of the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Bixler prop problems (0 min 53 sec)
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Last edited by Scooch; Jun 11, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
326 Posts
Deleted......
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Last edited by Scooch; Jun 11, 2012 at 06:45 PM.