HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Conehead, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:37 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Discussion
Tramps Air Show

Each year the Traverse Area Model Pilots have a model airplane show at Empire Airport. Since Barcs fly there a lot, many of the Barcs members helped Tramps set up for the weekend. I understand some mowing was done by Barcs and few other chores.(Benzie Area Radio Controlers = Barcs)
Some people arrive on Friday afternoon and set up and get a few flights in before Saturday morning and then go off to find a local place to eat and some even camp at the site, ensuring the safety of all airplanes at the site.
I took my trailer up and got my place so that I would have a place to assemble my plane the next day.

I arrived early on Saturday morning, there were a number of people already set up and models being unloaded and assembled. There were a number of pilots from out of town. Lansing, Chelsea, Cadillac area and others. Kalkaska Gaylord and other areas. Many pilots and more planes than you could imagine.

This year was especially good because we had many different planes. We had fellows from the Lift Society, or League of Silent Flight with their wench and sailplanes. Wow, they are something else. Peter was there and did some demos of sailplane flying.

We had helies, jets, multiengine and foamies, electrics and regular gas planes, gas planes and war birds and just about everything you could think of.

There were many people there. We had Cubs, B-17's B-25's a C-130 in Coast Guard colors, a Stearman, P-47, a F-104 and a Phantom along with some low wings, high wing trainers and some Edges, Yaks, a Beech twin. Raffle prizes were drawn about each half hour, I didn't win, don't ever, but that is fine, there were hot dogs, polish dogs, drinks and strawberries. Transmitters were impounded so that they could control the flight line. More than three planes in the air were a problem. With a number of quarter scale planes and when you get 35% and 40% planes flying around, the sky gets crowded quickly. When we fly at Empire, we many times have 4 to 6 planes in the sky at once, but all of ours are much smaller and so there is lots of room.

We even had 4 full scale planes fly in to see the event. A V tail Bonanza, a Cessna, 172 (I think) an older Piper twin, looks like an early version of the 310.

The heli guys put on a couple of demos. A couple of them flew scale helis, an old MASH one and a couple of others. Also they did some of the (what I call wild stuff) aerobatics. All in all a good time was had by all or so it seemed. There were some planes for sale, a couple of real bargains, a flight stand, ( by the way, I should have bought it) so send me the name of the fellow who builds them. It was worth the bucks.

I will post this on RC Groups under my Blog and add pictures so that the rest of the web can see what is happening in Traverse City.
A new member of Barcs and he could have been a Tramp, but he lives in Copemish, so Tramps lost out, too far to drive to Traverse City, Denny Whipple shot about 1600 pictures of the show and they are on this link.

Here's the link: http://denniswhipplephoto.com/airshow/index.html

That is about it from the Conehead.

Eat Dessert FIRST!!!!
"Strive to be unique, no one remembers ordinary!!!" woeII
"Live, Love, Laugh" woeII
Orrin
15170 Lab Land Lane
Thompsonville, MI 49683-9413
lablandln@earthlink.net
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2009, 02:45 PM
Cool before it was cool
Chelsea,MI
Joined Jul 2008
681 Posts
Cool, Is that plane at the end that is red and black a spacewalker?
Dtrimas is offline Find More Posts by Dtrimas
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:10 AM
Joined Dec 2009
64 Posts
Those cubs you took pictures of are absolutley stunning! especially the bush cub.
perfectlanding is offline Find More Posts by perfectlanding