SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by HillRf
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
138 Posts
Question
Triton Jr. Charger

I just received a new Parkzone Sport Cub with the 2300mAH, 11.1v battery (and I purchased a spare battery.)

It comes with a balancing charger which plugs into a car adapter but I also have a Triton Jr. with an Equinox balancer. When I tried to charge the battery using the Triton Jr. I got an error message on the charger stating "NO BATTERY."

The Triton Jr. was setup as 11.1V, 2300mAH and 3 cells so I believe that was all correct. Any ideas on what might be happening? I haven't tried the spare battery yet but maybe I'll try that. I checked the battery as it is and it has 11.4 volts with 3.81, 3.81 and 3.82 volts in cells 1, 2 and 3.

My second question involves the car charger. I have a LiPO safe bag for charging. Is it okay to plug this into the car adapter and let it charge for an hour? Does anyone have experience with these types of chargers?

Thanks!
Bob
HillRf is offline Find More Posts by HillRf
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRf View Post
I just received a new Parkzone Sport Cub with the 2300mAH, 11.1v battery (and I purchased a spare battery.)

It comes with a balancing charger which plugs into a car adapter but I also have a Triton Jr. with an Equinox balancer. When I tried to charge the battery using the Triton Jr. I got an error message on the charger stating "NO BATTERY."

This error is usually generated when you have not connected both the main power leads and the balancing connector. Can you post a picture of your setup?

The Triton Jr. was setup as 11.1V, 2300mAH and 3 cells so I believe that was all correct. Any ideas on what might be happening? I haven't tried the spare battery yet but maybe I'll try that. I checked the battery as it is and it has 11.4 volts with 3.81, 3.81 and 3.82 volts in cells 1, 2 and 3.

My second question involves the car charger. I have a LiPO safe bag for charging. Is it okay to plug this into the car adapter and let it charge for an hour? Does anyone have experience with these types of chargers?

I would help if you could provide a link to the car charger. A photo would help if you cannot provide a link.

Thanks!
Bob
Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by MaxOverdrive
Joined Jun 2015
385 Posts
There is a glitch in the Triton Jr. discharge battery below..3.75 volts a cell.. that will fix ur issue...
MaxOverdrive is offline Find More Posts by MaxOverdrive
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:55 PM
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
138 Posts
Here are the images.

The first shows the Triton Jr. connected to the power source and the Equinox balancer which is connected to the battery's balancing plug. You can also see that the settings on the Triton Jr. are correct.

The second shows the E-Flite charger.

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:56 PM
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOverdrive View Post
There is a glitch in the Triton Jr. discharge battery below..3.75 volts a cell.. that will fix ur issue...
Okay, so you're saying that it's not really an error but the fact that each cell is fully charged.

Thanks for the update.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 03:11 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,210 Posts
Quote:
Okay, so you're saying that it's not really an error but the fact that each cell is fully charged.

Thanks for the update.
He is not saying that. Fully charged cells are 4.2V.

Glen
Old Aug 12, 2015, 01:26 AM
markwilaoto
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Redacted Content.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:51 AM
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOverdrive View Post
Follow-up question. If I can't get the Triton Jr to recognize the battery, how can I discharge it?

Sorry! Nitro guy trying to make the move to electrics!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:03 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,210 Posts
Quote:
Follow-up question. If I can't get the Triton Jr to recognize the battery, how can I discharge it?

Sorry! Nitro guy trying to make the move to electrics!
The simple way to discharge a battery is to connect it to an automobile tail light bulb (#1157 I think). Just wire it to a connector that matches your battery. Place the battery in a safe place for a while (over night). When it's done cut the connector off the battery and twist the leads together (I solder them too).

Glen
Old Aug 26, 2015, 02:00 PM
Lakeville, MA
Joined Apr 2008
138 Posts
I think this is an issue with either the charger or the balancer that attaches to it. I tried to charge a 2 cell battery that I could always charge before and got the same error message.

I've ordered a new DC Parkzone balancing charger so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the replies.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 02:15 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,210 Posts
Quote:
I think this is an issue with either the charger or the balancer that attaches to it. I tried to charge a 2 cell battery that I could always charge before and got the same error message.

I've ordered a new DC Parkzone balancing charger so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the replies.
Sorry to hear that. Most of the Parkzone chargers are pretty poor. Lots of problem reports on them.

Glen