New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2015, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by PMPB
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
Discussion
Securing Radio Gear

Hey Everyone,

I'm putting together my first (e-)glider. I've looked at a pile of build threads, and NOBODY posts images of how they install all their radio gear+battery+ESC+Motor and manage to fit everything in a tight fuselage.

I'm looking for ideas to keep everything secured! So, I'm requesting photos!!! Perhaps some shots of how everything is tied down, organization of cables, how the hot stuff (ESC) is separated from stuff that doesn't like heat such as the Rx. Where antennas are routed to stay away from CF parts and motors.

Thanks Everyone!
PMPB is offline Find More Posts by PMPB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2015, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,222 Posts
Hi, PMPB.

One of the great things about modern electrical systems is that one doesn't need to be as concerned about vibration isolation as we did in the old days and greasy fuel is going the way of the Dodo. In the nose of my Specter I used a thin strip of plywood and a few drops of Gorilla Glue to secure the motor leads away from the spinning bits, I used velcro to hold the ESC in place, and the battery is held back in a foam pocket, that doesn't show on the pictures, with a rubber band. I just used a couple thin pieces of tubing to keep a little gap between the ESC and the battery while the receiver is mounted behind the servos with velcro. I have not had any problems with anything getting too hot but I use scoops to get some air forced through the fuselage. The rule of thumb is to use an opening roughly twice the size of the inlet area for exits.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 31, 2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by PMPB
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
AWESOME! So you just use some sticky back velcro to hold the esc in the bottom, and an elastic band around the ESC to hold the battery down as well. Great stuff. I actually found a couple images of how people placed stuff in. But I can never see how it's actually held there.

I assume I'll occasionally pull some pretty good -ve G's, I don't want everything to slam against the canopy and come shooting out! Hahaha.

In my other big planes everything is secured to trays, and I'm not used to a slender fuselage, with no mounting points for anything, and nothing in the instructions either.

It's an ArtHobby, in case anybody is wondering.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Leadchucker
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,782 Posts
A couple more shoe ins of gear for your perusal. Both have geared in runners so no spinning parts to catch on wires. The ESC's had the plugs soldered on backwards to fit them as foreword as possible to help with CG matters.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2015, 05:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,222 Posts
That's exactly what I did. As I mentioned, there's a foam pocket under the wing fairing that doesn't show on these pics. It's a fairly snug fit so all that the rubber band does is keep the battery from moving forward. I'm supposed to get my camera back tomorrow and I'll try and get a shot or two of how the foam is wedged in.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by PMPB
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
That's exactly what I did. As I mentioned, there's a foam pocket under the wing fairing that doesn't show on these pics. It's a fairly snug fit so all that the rubber band does is keep the battery from moving forward. I'm supposed to get my camera back tomorrow and I'll try and get a shot or two of how the foam is wedged in.
That's okay, I get the picture. It's a bit irrelevant for me, as my fuselage is fiberglass, and there really enough room for everything. It's just a matter for me to figure out where to put the velcro straps!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 06:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPB View Post
That's okay, I get the picture. It's a bit irrelevant for me, as my fuselage is fiberglass, and there really enough room for everything. It's just a matter for me to figure out where to put the velcro straps!
There's really no need until the very end. I have found that placing the velcro before I find my final CG results in a 100% chance of the velcro being in the wrong place! I think it's one of the corollaries to Murphy's Law. Oh, yeah. I just CA the rubber band to the bottom of the fiberglass fuse and place a small strip of very light fiberglass cloth or Skyloft or any other really thin cloth over the spot where it's glued. Use a little care because CA sticks to rubber even better than it sticks to skin. The bands wear out over a flying season but it's simple enough to cut them out and replace them.

Cheers again!
Old Aug 01, 2015, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Oct 2014
401 Posts
Hello;

This is how my Great Planes Spectra is laid out. I have a Turnigy 3850/960kv motor in mine. A out runner in a can. I have velco gorilla glued on the bottom for the battery. And the Turnigy 40 amp Plush ESC glued to the side also. As you can see my receiver wires (1) of them goes into a tube along side the body and the other antenna runs behind the battery (2200 30C 3S) , up the side of the right side and goes the opposite direction. And the receiver is also glued velco to the side.
Alienmenacet54 is offline Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
Old Aug 01, 2015, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by Swasimoto
United States, MI, Hudsonville
Joined Oct 2011
72 Posts
If you have a little bit of space in the fuse you can put in a removable tray that holds everything. You need to plan ahead but it's worked well for me.
Swasimoto is online now Find More Posts by Swasimoto
Old Aug 01, 2015, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Oct 2014
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swasimoto View Post
If you have a little bit of space in the fuse you can put in a removable tray that holds everything. You need to plan ahead but it's worked well for me.
Pretty good idea, I might consider that when I start my build on my Sig Riser 100.
Alienmenacet54 is offline Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
Old Aug 01, 2015, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by PMPB
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
@Swasimoto

I wonder if you can take a few more shots of this setup? It's a bit hard to see what's going on in there. I can't tell what I'm looking at. Thanks in advance!!!!
Old Aug 01, 2015, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
72 Posts
Will do. I'll post tomorrow.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 02:43 PM
Joined Oct 2011
72 Posts
The photos below show the removable tray better. Between the servos and the on/off switch are three screws, those are connected to a piece of basswood epoxied beneath the tray crosswise in the fuselage. If you look at the other photo you can see a single screw about midway towards the nose, there I epoxied to small (1/4" or 3/8" blocks on either side to the fuse as well. The ESC is attached with velcro to the side of the fuse and the wires from the outrunner are secured with hot glue or double stick foam tape to keep away from the motor can and avoid any rubbing. The cutout is sized for the battery and some foam secures it well, although a Velcro strap will work as well. If you look carefully you can see some yellow tape inside the nose area, that is used to add additional securing of the stick on weights, the motor is about a 1/4" away from the front of the tray.

Their is a downside to this system, it makes it a real pain in the @$$ to vary the CG easily. I usually get it to the recommended spot or around 38% of the root chord before securing everything, then I'll will tape 1/4 oz. weights as needed to the tail of the plane at the field as needed and remove it one last time to secure everything once I'm happy with the CG.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPB View Post
AWESOME! So you just use some sticky back velcro to hold the esc in the bottom, and an elastic band around the ESC to hold the battery down as well. Great stuff. I actually found a couple images of how people placed stuff in. But I can never see how it's actually held there.

I assume I'll occasionally pull some pretty good -ve G's, I don't want everything to slam against the canopy and come shooting out! Hahaha.

In my other big planes everything is secured to trays, and I'm not used to a slender fuselage, with no mounting points for anything, and nothing in the instructions either.

It's an ArtHobby, in case anybody is wondering.
Velcro is wonderful for holding in electronic components as it make it easy to move them around for the best balance. It also makes repair/replacement easy. Note: Do NOT use it for servo placement!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel