New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2014, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by mhalpha
Cleveland, OH
Joined Mar 2003
3 Posts
Discussion
Eagle Tree Camera Gimbal setup?

I recently purchased an Eagle Tree Vector FC + OSD system to replace my XAircraft FC1212-S + AHRS-S controller. I use a TurboAce Z8 3-axis camera gimbal mount on my quad. I was able to use the built-in tilt/roll functions of the XAircraft controller, to control the gimbal on my quad, keeping the camera gimbal level at any attitude. I don't see anywhere in the Vector manual or online forums how I can do the same functions with the Vector setup. Will the Vector be able to control my articulating gimbal to keep it centered through different attitudes? If so, where do I plug in the gimbal servo leads to make this happen?
mhalpha is offline Find More Posts by mhalpha
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2014, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by garris2
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,075 Posts
No, it won't be able to do this.
There are lots of good 3rd party gimbal controllers out there, better to use one of those.
Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Oct 30, 2014, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by sgali
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
3rd party gimbal controller for ET Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
No, it won't be able to do this.
There are lots of good 3rd party gimbal controllers out there, better to use one of those.
Geoff
Hmmm, as a noob and coming from APM, I had to learn the costly way that there are as many protocols as manufacturers (and luckily open source solutions for tinkerers) to get telemetry, LEDs and gimbals working.
So, please save me some dough and time and sweat to make the right choice when it comes to buy a 3rd party gimbal control that actually works without too much hassle (some is expected and welcome ) to set up a 2D brushless gimbal control on a Eagle Tree Vector.

I do know how to query google, but maybe I am just too stupid to pick the right results to find what I am looking for - as I have not found anything meaningful yet. Plus, and a big minus for Eagle Tree's manual, searching for gimbal returns ZERO results, despite their Vector being advertised as the state-of-the-art FPV solution....(doesn't that include a gimbal control??? Am I missing something???)

Any hints towards a sound buying choice is much appreciated!

Cheers
Sgali
sgali is offline Find More Posts by sgali
Last edited by sgali; Oct 30, 2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Important requirement missing
Old Oct 31, 2014, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by JohnET
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
756 Posts
Hello,

The Vector does not have gimbal control. Most brushless gimbals have their own controllers and therefore will not need any input from the flight controller. If you are using a non-brushless gimbal (servo controlled), you will need a separate controller as well. If you need to pan or tilt your gimbal, the connections should go directly to your RX.

Regards, John
JohnET is offline Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Old May 15, 2015, 01:32 AM
Find More Posts by Don 2416n
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
211 Posts
What if we're using ppm? I thought only 1 wire is used from the rcvr to the FC. Doesn't this negate the use of the other channels?
Don 2416n is offline Find More Posts by Don 2416n
Old May 15, 2015, 05:47 AM
Find More Posts by boceifo
United States, MO, Ozark
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
Depends. I have a frsky x8r setup to use 1-8 on s-bus and 9-16 on regular servo outputs on mine works great for controlling my tarot gimbal.
boceifo is offline Find More Posts by boceifo
Old May 15, 2015, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by stxShadow
Germany, NRW, GŁtersloh
Joined Feb 2015
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boceifo View Post
Depends. I have a frsky x8r setup to use 1-8 on s-bus and 9-16 on regular servo outputs on mine works great for controlling my tarot gimbal.
Works for JETI Remote Controls and EZUHF too .....
stxShadow is offline Find More Posts by stxShadow
Old May 15, 2015, 11:50 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
211 Posts
I'm using ppm but thought I read that you can't run the 8 channel scheme even though the rcvr is 8 channel due to the data won't support it in ppm mode.
I just want to be able to adjust the pitch of the gimbal. I'm thinking on channel 7.
Old May 16, 2015, 05:27 AM
United States, MO, Ozark
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
What type of TX and RX are you using
Old May 16, 2015, 08:26 AM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
211 Posts
Turnigy 9xr and frsky d8r-xp
Old May 16, 2015, 10:20 AM
United States, MO, Ozark
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
I don't think that will be possible with that receiver. I know for certain that it works on the frsky x8r. But the one you have, I don't belive will be able to do that.
Last edited by boceifo; May 16, 2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2015, 01:54 AM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boceifo View Post
I don't think that will be possible with that receiver. I know for certain that it works on the frsky x8r. But the one you have, I don't belive will be able to do that.
Looking through my junk box I found a brand new X8R. I may try setting it up.

Thanks for the info.