New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2013, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,789 Posts
Discussion
Yacht America from Sterling kit.

I won an America kit on Ebay a few days ago with the intention of building. It arrived tonight. As was true in the Ebay ad, there is some water damage to the box and ends of some of the wood piece. It's not a suitable collectors kit anyways. I only had time to inspect what's inside the box tonight and take a little look at the plans. This will be a pretty slow build since it will be going on, along with 3 partially finished planes and another 2 boats in various stages and one boat getting drawn in CAD as well. There's always room for one more in the workshop.

The plans seem pretty detailed and contain what is there for instructions. The drawings of winches look pretty interesting. They look like a motor with gearbox being controlled by a servo operated toggle switch. Must have been fun back in the day to control a boat that way.

The images are right side up on my computer. I"m not sure why they are upside down when they upload here.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by TBowman
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Neat!

It will be fun to watch it come together.

kind regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Dec 20, 2013, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by tghsmith
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
2,068 Posts
i've seen one of these done were most of the visable woodwork was replaced with better wood than the kit supplied, the results were worth the effort...
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Sep 25, 2014, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by Ronin055
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
561 Posts
Did this project ever go anywhere?

If so, Im very interested to see the progress.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,789 Posts
Have patience. Building season is arriving soon here in the north. I rarely have time to build during full scale boat sailing season. This thing is staring at me wanting out of the box. I hear the calling.

Ryan
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
561 Posts
well, in the event that it doesnt leap forth from the box, I would be especially interested in that model. Perhaps we could come to some sort of understanding in that regards.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:59 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,789 Posts
They go for sale on eBay on a regular basis. I have seen several kits in better condition then mine sell for much less then I paid. They aren't at all hard to get.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
561 Posts
And while that is true on all counts, I know where this one is.

Waiting and bidding is all well and good. but a bird in the hand beats two in the bush.

So, the offer stands. If you decide to part with it, please give me a consideration in the matter.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 01:44 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,789 Posts
Everything is always for sale for the right price. I paid $200 for it. I'd part with it for $200+ actual shipping costs. Then I'd hit eBay and get a better condition kit for probably less money as they have sold cheaper the last several I saw change hands.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:51 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,789 Posts
I finally cleared the bench and found some motivation to get going on this thing. After the last couple of nights I have gotten as far as cutting the parts out from their sheets for all the balsa parts. This kit is the very definition of die crunch. There might have been a part in there somewhere that came out without help from an xacto but I don't remember it. Hopefully all the parts for the hull are actually here as far as bulkheads go. It won't surprise me if a sheet or 2 of the diecrunch parts were missing.
Old Mar 07, 2015, 05:29 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,789 Posts
I started gluing some stuff together today finally. I managed all the bulkheads and keel. It was a bit of a challenge identifying which bulkhead went with which crossmember and so on because the writing on my parts was really worn off or water smeared in places. I think in the end I came up with a completed set. I don't think at this point I have any parts missing.

For the keel for this. I ordered an Aquacraft Paradise keel. It is about a 26 inch boat that is 3 lbs so probably around a 2lb keel bulb. The keel fin attaches by a thru-bolt which will adapt itself well for this since I can put a block into the keel for the bolt and cut a groove in to fit the base of the keel.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMMY3&P=7
Old Mar 08, 2015, 10:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
561 Posts
The paradise keel should be cool. I used the one from the dragon force and cast my own bulb. I ended up with about 2.79lbs in the bulb and about 2.5 lbs in the hull of the boat.

Im eager to see how you tackle some of the build aspect of this boat. And I cant wait to see your finished project.
Old May 21, 2015, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by MiltonThrasher
RC Sailboat Builder
Sarasota, FL
Joined Aug 2007
34 Posts
I provide laser cut frames for the Sterling America kit B22M

Most of the Sterling America kit B22M balsa parts have dried out and crumbled.
So, I provide replacement laser cut frames as shown on my web site
at www.angelfire.com/fl4/mft

Milton Thrasher - Sarasota, FL
MiltonThrasher is offline Find More Posts by MiltonThrasher