New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM
Find More Posts by HGhost
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,840 Posts
Has been a beautiful week, but everyday has been really windy....today it eased up some...decided to maiden the Archer even with the gusty winds.

It took off great and flew spectacular. I was having a blast, flew 2 batteries through it...first battery even made a perfect landing...at the end of the second battery, trying to get lined up different, i came down pretty low and slow, and stalled into the grass...still a nice flight

Decided to go and charge up some more batteries....went back to the field and had another great flight ( I really like this plane-it even did well in the wind when it gusted )...however....dumb me, did the same thing i did earlier....I bought it down to low ( trying to buzz the grass ) and then turn back to line up to land and stalled it again.....this time hitting a mowed area and hard ground.

Broke prop-cracked wing and broke a couple pieces on the canopy...but nothing major.

Have already repaired the damage and ready to go again tomorrow if i get the chance

I must say i like how this plane flies...why it took me so long to fly it, I will never know

Flew the Archer, my Yak, my Pitts ( it had a issue as well ) and I flew my Day-Time Sport Cub S

all and all had a really good late evening....the Archer floats pretty well..just need to stop trying to buzz over the grass to slow in a turn.

Still the Archer is really nice flying plane....I must say I really like Old Archie.( Archie Bunker ) is the name for this plane.

Next ones on my List to maiden is the SE5a and the Wilga...both ready to go.
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by thosmosis
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
2,697 Posts
Great news Ghost! Excellent flight report!

Ya Meathead!

thosmosis is offline Find More Posts by thosmosis
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,840 Posts
Got to fly the Archer again today...ran 6 batteries through it.....very gusty winds...flew great and no issues in flight
Only issue was the cross winds and landing.....had to use the entire mowed section and the paths that lead into the field to land.....no flip overs, did do a few bounces......

Also on landing the Yak's landing gear came off....no damage, just plastic insert came out...already repaired...had a hard landing rolled out and gear came off and plane was on it's belly for a couple feet....it was neat tho.

At one point the Yak was almost out of sight the winds carried it up so high, spiraled it down, floated around a bit and then those winds were swirling about, had to try and land into it...not my normal direction, why the hard landing and rough ground...why the LG came off i assume.

After that i stayed with the Archer for the rest of the evening......

Ol' Archie does very well
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
1,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Ya Meathead!
Wow, now that is funny.

I grew up watching Archie Bunker. Of course, now you can guess my age. Then again, it seems from what I've seen in RC, everybody is my age, unless you fly quads, then you are younger.
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
1,683 Posts
Hey Ghost, nice to hear you got the ol Archie out in the air finally. Yeah, watch those low turns over grass gusty conditions. I had the same happen with a wing tip catching before, but since reinforcing my plane with carbon fiber, it can take a lot and keep on ticking (Timex reference, old too).

We were having pretty much constant 25 mph winds with higher gusts all day today, so no flying for me. I spent the day unpacking my garage now that my shed is done. Finally getting moved in to our "new" place, 8 months later
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,840 Posts
Good to hear your getting "moved in '...lol

I noticed on this Archer the wing tip edge at the aileron are both broke ( of course i taped them on ) and they are holding but...that seems to be a very weak spot...anyone have any issues of that small end breaking and if they come off if it would actually affect anything ?

Broke when carrying it to the field . It is very narrow piece of foam.....?
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Twin Dad
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Jun 2014
97 Posts
Exact piece has been missing on one of my wings for months and it hasn't made me fly any better. Lol

Seriously, no noticeable change in flight characteristics for me

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost View Post
Good to hear your getting "moved in '...lol

I noticed on this Archer the wing tip edge at the aileron are both broke ( of course i taped them on ) and they are holding but...that seems to be a very weak spot...anyone have any issues of that small end breaking and if they come off if it would actually affect anything ?

Broke when carrying it to the field . It is very narrow piece of foam.....?
Twin Dad is offline Find More Posts by Twin Dad
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
2,840 Posts
Thanks Dan....yeah i just taped them on....was curious if it changed anything ( did not figure it would ) but had to ask.
Old Today, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,795 Posts
I have Archer and Dragon Hobbies Sbach 342. Different planes but share same size batteries. Plus both scale full bodies foamies. great looking pair and good park flyers. Car gets might full going to field. Helis/planks etc.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04