HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:17 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
Build Log
Tupolev Tu-2000 Hypersonic Plane

I have some extra parts laying around and wanted to make a space plane. All parts will be 6mm depron with some blue foam mixed in. I made some rough drawings to cut out the wing and fuselage, but alot of the parts will be made as I go. Any comments are welcome, since this will be my first delta wing subject.

I am making a hybrid version using two versions of the Tu-2000 design. Mainly the wing and vertical stab is from 1 version and the body is the other.

Max speed: Mach 6 in atmosphere, Mach 24 in space
Weight: 192 tons
Max take off weight: 350 tonnes
Crew: 2
Payload mass: 4-8 tonnes
Powerplant type: Turbo jet/scramjet
Propellants: Slush hydrogen and Lox

R/C Version:

Max speed: 90mph
Weight: 25oz
Crew: 0
Power Plant: LSSPJ --6.5x6.5 Cam Speed.
Propellant: Zippy 4S 25C Lipo with 30A speed control

Wing Span: 24 inches
Length: 52 inches
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:24 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,848 Posts
flippin rusian's...that looks like a familiar design!

will probably be a little twitchy as a model in the roll axis, but otherwise, with a correct CG, should fly great!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:34 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
Looks like the NASP doesn't it? Kinda like there old space shuttle program, that looks very familiar too!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:15 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,573 Posts
What is it they say? "Shape follows function?" Still, you gotta wonder! Besides why design it all over again when someone else has already done the hard work? Remember what Stalin did with the B-29.

Tony

PS: Keep it posted; it looks very interesting.
TPfingston is offline Find More Posts by TPfingston
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Jul 25, 2008, 05:36 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
Tony, just read up on the B-29 copy. Didn't even know that had happened. Hmm. you learn something new everyday.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Jul 25, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:05 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I had to look twice, I thought it WAS the Space Shuttle! Cool plane though.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Aug 04, 2008, 01:37 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
Fuslage and wing construction

OK. Finally got the nerve to get out in the airplane oven (garage) and do a little work on the space plane. This South Texas heat has been brutal the past couple of weeks! So far, the wing is done, and the fuselage sides are mostly built up. Need to run to the local hobby store for some CA, to mount the wing. More to come.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Aug 04, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 05:10 AM
Heathcote, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
579 Posts
Ok, JC it's time to get building, hanging out for the test flight & hope it goes well
slowflow is offline Find More Posts by slowflow
Old Aug 05, 2008, 09:03 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
Glad to have you onboard. Today's flight will be to Paris, with an estimated cruise time of 30mins.

Seriously though. Made some head way yesterday after my 2 hour recovery from CA glue sticker shock! Pictures to come.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Aug 05, 2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:32 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
The space plane is coming along. I have the top and bottom closed in, and will start sanding it to shape tonight or tomorrow. I took a quick picture of the engine compartment to show where the electronics will be held. There will be a cover over the compartment held on with magnets. Everything will be easy to service. Fitting the engine and prop, I noticed that at 6x5 prop will be to big, however a 5x5 fits perfect. This should still be enough prop to push it around.

To Do:
1. Make the nose and start sanding the plane to shape.
2. Install the electronics
3. Make the cover hatch for the electronics bay.
Old Aug 06, 2008, 06:33 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
Had some time to paint the bird black and install the LSSPJ. I ran the motor to check the thrust of the 5x5 prop and it was very weak. The plane didn't even try to move at full throttle. I have concluded that since only half the prop is able to grab air, and the other half is blocked by the fuselage, that this was contributing to the lack of thrust. I will have to come up with a way to get more air to the prop.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Aug 06, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2008, 08:38 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
I think I have thought of a way to fix the airflow problem. It consist of removing the depron plate behind the prop and then cutting a cheater hole in the foward intake.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Aug 06, 2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2008, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
**Launch Date Set For Russian Space Plane**

Austin, TX 8-07-08
from the Associated Press

The Space Plane, which was built in only 5 days, is scheduled to launch this Saturday Aug. 9th at 8:30am. The support crew has already indicated that this is the "coolest" plane ever built at the Austin, TX facility. Live media coverage of the event will document this milestone in aerospace engineering. "This will undoubtedly be a moment for the history books" says the designer and builder of the first Hypersonic Space plane. "We are hoping that all of the parts will hold together, and that the platform will be stable in flight."

The development of the Tu-2000 has been plagued by design problems and engine performance set backs. "We think we have all the bugs worked out of the design, and are looking forward to Saturday's launch", the production manager said. "We might have to do a last minute engine swap if the thrust requirements are not met by the current engine". Yesterday it was discovered that a blockage of airflow to the main motor was causing serious power issues, almost setting back the program indefinitely. However, a last minute design change of the motor intake assembly brought the thrust requirements to an almost acceptable range. “During testing of the newly designed intake, the engine manufactured by HLI still is lacking the thrust requirements set by the design team”. "It's not looking good for the HLI motor, currently we are looking at other engine manufactures to power the Tu-2000." It has been rumored that GH engines in Georgia has a high KV motor that may have the thrust requirements needed for a successful flight. The Space Plane group would not confirm this.

Currently the Tu-2000 Hypersonic Plane is being tested in a secure facility in preparation for Saturday’s first flight. The Tu-2000 has a computer controlled fly-by-wire system that accepts manual inputs from the pilot and converts the inputs to electronic signals that in turn move the control surfaces via actuators. “This is a proven state-of-the-art system that is ultra reliable and will provide control authority at the highest speeds”, the lead designer said. The Tu-2000 is no doubt a technological achievement that will change the way foam planes are looked at forever.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Aug 07, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2008, 09:21 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,573 Posts
With tongue in cheek, he replied, "Damn, I hope it doesn't melt from the extreme velocity."
TPfingston is offline Find More Posts by TPfingston
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Aug 07, 2008, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,358 Posts
Yep, being painted black in the Texas sun, it will be at 130 F before it even takes flight.