Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
I'll believe "last" when I see it, Mike
Ha Ha Hope you are well Mike, after reading your comment I had a small think about things. I hope to retire from official work in about 7 years so then I will start building again.

Since joining RCGroups I have built a lot of planes and really learnt a lot along the way , the input and sharing with like minded individuals has been a very pleasant experience.
From memory these are roughly the gliders I have built along the way.

3 x Ventus 6 mtr
2 x Diana 2 4 Mtr
1 x Borcian 4 Mtr
1 x Lak 19 7 mtr
1 X DG300 3.75MTR
1 X ASW20B 5 MTR
1 X Celstar 3.75mtr
5 x Nimbus 4 6 mtr complete
5 x Nimbus 4 fuselage only
2 x Swift S1 3MTR
1 x DG505 8 MTR
1 X ASH30mi 10 mtr
3 x JS1 B 4.5 mtr
1 x JS1C 5.25 MTR

and then 3 x Jarts
4 x Hillbillies
2x small Discus/ventus 2.5mtr
4x electric sailplanes 1 x 4.5mtr
1x ka6 small 2 mtr
1 x KA8 3.5mtr
1 X SU 35 PSS featured in RC Soaring Digest
about 10 x flying wings Zaggi etc

So I think I can now take a break from building gliders , but will continue flying when time allows
The new passion is restoring the heap of 1970's motorcycles I have collected and getting them running again.
regards
Mike
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:07 AM
yyz
Find More Posts by yyz
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,423 Posts
Please do some build threads on the motorcycles!
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:59 PM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
Please do some build threads on the motorcycles!
Hi Mike,
I would love to just not sure where is the best forums ,The Bikes do almost fly ha ha
one of the build threads is here http://kawasakikhregister.myfastforu...about7535.html
but wait.....there is much more its not only about building its about digging in scrap yards, going into old barns etc with my son and haggling with some real strange people , I love it
The Yamaha TR3 race 350 replica I am building has so far been made from parts found all over , the motor was in a farmers Go cart, the rest all picked in barns and scrap yards. The tank has been created using a metal tank and stretching it with epoxy and cloth. The seat made around Blue foam like a one off fuselage.

regards
Mike
Last edited by mikegbogh; Apr 06, 2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 01:12 AM
Find More Posts by swarrans
Joined Nov 2008
225 Posts
Great that you are using your "glider building skills" with the motorbikes Mike!

As we've discussed before, once again I am copying you by building up a collection of classic Jap bikes - currently a Honda GB400TT, Honda CBX, Honda Fire blade and the "project" Suzuki GT750. Looks like the Suzy will cost me more than it will ever be worth but what the hey!

Those Kawasaki triples are fetching crazy money here in the UK.....

Simon
swarrans is offline Find More Posts by swarrans
Old Mar 25, 2015, 01:42 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,053 Posts
Hi Simon
I like your but what the heck attitude you do things that you like , we only pass this way once unless you believe in re-incarnation in whichcase you may come back as a dog and planes and bikes and fishing will be of no interest ha ha
The CBX 1000 six is also worth having, your kettle will appreciate so dont despair.
I have some old bevel Ducati,s which are with out a doubt an investment.

Model gliders do however lose value the moment they leave the showroom floor.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread and go off topic but some new flying pictures soon .

regards
Mike
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:50 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,053 Posts
Scale Slope Safari

Hi All,
So just back from the long weekend away and an experience it was.
First time I have flown in such strong winds , I managed to get a pic of the wind meter at 72 km/h but in the gusts it was going over 90 km/hr .

Waiting for late afternoon and hoping for the wind to moderate we finally decided the JS1 B had to fly.

The maiden went off with out a hitch but I think I overdid the nose weight so I had to let it build speed and fly out and away before clicking in about 10 clicks of uptrim, in the conditions it was still easy to fly, left /right trim was ok.

I started with some easy slow passes but soon was doing huge Chandels and high speed fly bys , after about 25 minutes with the sun fast disappearing I did a flap check up high and it slowed down with a slight nose down glide slope.

Cool I thought landing will be a breeze in the reasonable landing zone.
5 missed approaches with the glider descending on track until about 20 ft when I closed the flaps the dam thing would balloon up and gain speed , so it was out the front again and another attempt. last attempt I tip stalled and came down heavy from about 10 ft snapping the Fuse and breaking off the tailplane , wings are fine.

So putting pride aside , I will post a build thread on how to fix things and get this good bird back into the air.

Here is a short video
Mike May's JS 1 B maiden launch (0 min 25 sec)

regards
Mike
Last edited by mikegbogh; Apr 13, 2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 05:57 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,053 Posts
Eish You broke it

Hi There,
This build thread taking a slightly new direction , so above nice pics of the maiden launch, glider was flown for about 30 minutes and towards the end was being put through its paces, as mentioned I think I mis judged the landing , comming in with flaps and starting to flair maybe too high and the one wing stalled and she droped down in a heavy thump onto the ground.

Yesterday I decided to do some repairs , as with our slopes sooner or later this is going to happen.

The pictures will tell the story and I am surprised at the result a bit of finishing and all will be good again.

regards
Mike
Old Apr 16, 2015, 05:20 AM
Find More Posts by Chrisvn
Potchefstroom, South Africa
Joined Dec 2010
5 Posts
Wow Mike - you are fast with the repairs !

I like your technique ... a pic is worth 1000 words

Results in the last picture looks perfect.
Chrisvn is offline Find More Posts by Chrisvn
Old Apr 26, 2015, 02:49 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,053 Posts
all Done

Hi There,
Last picture of the repair attached , happy with the repair but being lazy its not perfect, to get it perfect would have meant taking off the registration numbers and block sanding , I worked around them but she will fly fine.
The wing tip was also all in pieces but its been glued back together sanded and a coat of paint.
regards
Mike
Old Apr 27, 2015, 03:23 AM
Find More Posts by awmeade
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
877 Posts
Well, I'm glad you can see the join because I can't! looks perfect from here
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade