SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2014, 02:49 AM
Joined Jul 2014
87 Posts
Discussion
flyzone micro super cub ailerons

I bought a fz cub and i hated it. It was just lacking in its flight ability. Ok for a noob but i was board before i killed the first pack.

So I have a p38 in pieces and decided to start modding.
First i put in a p38 gearbox and motor.

Then i took out a bunch of dihedral with packing tape on the bottom of the wing.

next i cut out the aileron reliefs on the wing and made a tape hinge.

I cut holes for the servos so they slide just under the brick. I removed the brick so i did not damage it with the razor. Also cut the wholes small so the servos are tight fitting. plug the servos into the right port on the brick. thats looking from the rear of the plane.( The other plug is throttle. so you could add a diff esc to this brick for other projects.)

The hardest part was bending linkages. I used small piano wire. I copied the way the p38 ailerons were made.
How it flies?
It flies amazing now. still flys slow but is 3 times as fast too. Enough for wing fluttering.
it will roll but make sure you have lots of altitude as it tends to drop while inverted.
I recomend a 25% rudder mix with the ailerons. or just use them manually.

If you guys want I can make a step by step walk through.

Heres pics and video. sorry work bench is a disaster.

flyzone micro super cub with ailerons (0 min 48 sec)

going to take a flight video as soon as i can
jh1985 is offline Find More Posts by jh1985
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2014, 02:50 AM
Joined Jul 2014
87 Posts
will try a better camera if anyone needs better pics
Old Sep 07, 2014, 07:15 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
886 Posts
Fun conversion! Thanks for sharing!

I also found the Super Cub to tame . Having added ailerons to an Ember 2, I didn't take that route with my Super Cub. Instead, I have been happy with added flaps for slow speed stability and increased factory throws on the controls as shown. Much nicer being able to rudder roll on three channels!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Sep 08, 2014, 03:05 AM
Joined Jul 2014
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
Fun conversion! Thanks for sharing!

I also found the Super Cub to tame . Having added ailerons to an Ember 2, I didn't take that route with my Super Cub. Instead, I have been happy with added flaps for slow speed stability and increased factory throws on the controls as shown. Much nicer being able to rudder roll on three channels!
That was what i tried first. Followed the pics you showed. it flies amazing now. I had a blast. But my brick came unglued and made it crash. need a new tail now.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:21 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
886 Posts
Cool!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:24 AM
Joined Jul 2014
87 Posts
down for repairs might just buy a new one and do it over. the nose is smashed bad. my fault.