SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2014, 07:19 AM
3D Addict
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined May 2013
315 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver

I recently got one of these and am not allowed to build it until the 7th of July. But I saw a few interesting pictures of really detailed Beavers. I don't want to do a bunch of painting or sculpting, but plan on painting the floats a little. Does any one have any ideas? I also heard about a 3 bladed prop...?
Allinone is online now Find More Posts by Allinone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tricopter "Candy Dropper"
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:44 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2006
71 Posts
Allinone- you can find a ton of info on the Beaver thread. I can't give you any advice on painting as I have left my floats stock but there are several guys who have modded them to an admirable degree. I believe PaulRC had a tutorial on how to prep and paint the floats.I have tried a 3 bladed prop and while it looks better (IMO) it does draw more power and will shorten your flight times. The stock 2 blade prop pulls it around just fine with or without floats and on a standard 2200 3s I can routinely get 10 minute flights with plenty in reserve. The full scale Beavers had (have) both the 2 blade and 3 blade props so you can be "scale" no matter what you choose. You may want to fly it first prior to modding and then decide what you want to do. I added a scale pilot to mine and cut out the port passenger door like many others. I also added a larger servo arm on the flaps to increase their throw. This has become my favorite floatplane. I am sure you are going to like this plane!
haliotis is offline Find More Posts by haliotis
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:10 PM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
The two blade easily out performed the three blade on the GWS Beavers. Not a good comparison but FWIW. art
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Jun 19, 2014, 06:13 AM
3D Addict
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined May 2013
315 Posts
Thanks guys will look into it.
Allinone is online now Find More Posts by Allinone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tricopter "Candy Dropper"