HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:57 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
Hay Y'all. I've only just stumbled on to the existence of Multiplex's version of the PC-6 and have been playing a quick catch up on the thread..... haven't actually got one yet but;
I noticed several cutting out the belly to make it easier to stuff everything in. Is there any reason besides the wing brace being too high why none have tried actually cutting the big side doors open? Framing them and allowing them to hinge open.... or even better yet add the sliding doors?

Lots of power for a normally slower plane and many of the videos have them landing a touch faster than I'd expect. Is this because its very easy to stall if you slow it down full flaps or we just have a bunch of hot pilots?

Thanks for the feed back.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:21 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,236 Posts
Well, IMHO making the doors open instead of the underside hatch would allow tighter access to the cabin, it would be a real cool mod (except the fuse foam is also quite thick, so it may not look that realistic) but in the end a lot less practical. The underside hatch can also be converted to drop things more easily... thinking about it, may come up with something this winter.

Referring to the landing speed, I have yet to explore the flight envelope at very slow speeds (need a little fiddling with the elevator compensation at full flaps). She can fly slowly at half flaps, take off can be quite short, but the bouncing undercarriage takes some time to adjust to and it makes very slow approaches uncomfortable for me as of yet. I prefer to make a long approach and take all my time to grease a landing, rather than risk having the plane bounce back into the air with no speed at all from a short landing attempt, and stall and crash.

This is an example of what it can do though... This pilot has the bouncing very much controlled, it very nice to look at.

New Multiplex PC-6 Pilatus Porter -- Short take offs and landings --Full HD-- (3 min 16 sec)
RyoOhki1701 is online now Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:38 AM
Joined Feb 2013
494 Posts
I didn't need to open the bottom to install the receiver but had to in order to get the receiver back out after the Mid-air; Foam is thicker on sides, waiting on a 7 channel rx to get her back in the rotation, have been practicing making my tiny hammer and cycle to mark my downed Sukioa.

Jeff…………….
SeeMeDo is online now Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Last edited by SeeMeDo; Oct 19, 2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:18 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
Ya it looked from posted pics to be thicker making it easier to frame for structure and replace the doors with a thin panel of foam and ply.

The wing support I figured could be embedded in the floor a little lower and out of the way.

Gonna have to add it to the procurement schedule. Munched my HK balsa version in what seemed to be a RX failure of some kind.

Reason why I like to free up the doors is you can parachute on both sides and or mount a cam hanging out the door or watching internally as jumpers leave the cabin. I got a few initial flights in just before the RX mishap.
So was hoping to do it again and wondered if there was a reason for none doing it.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:41 AM
Joined Apr 2010
156 Posts
Got a little bit of time to apply the vinal decals I had cut for me. Reckon it looks alright for a foamy!
Gorrie is offline Find More Posts by Gorrie
Old Oct 23, 2014, 03:15 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,960 Posts
Great job, Gorrie! Now can I make a suggestion, one more thing to put it over the top? Paint the wing struts white like the full scale. Now that I see that, I'll have to do it to mine even though I didn't do the whole thing. Yours is what the stock ones should have looked like!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:32 AM
Joined Apr 2010
156 Posts
Cheers! I'm actually going to try and find a bit of streamline tubing to make some proper struts out of and move the fuselage mounting to the correct place.
Gorrie is offline Find More Posts by Gorrie
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:29 AM
Joined Aug 2006
356 Posts
Excellent craftmanship Gorrie!
If the streamlined tubing approach is too time consuming you might consider sandwich gluing two triangle balsa sticks in to the wire struts, sanding down, and covering. See post #568 in this thread for end picture.
Garyss is online now Find More Posts by Garyss
Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM
Joined Feb 2013
494 Posts
Looks very nice, just received my 7 channel Rx yesterday, should be flying again Saturday……

She'll not win any beauty contests but she should fly just as well with her scars from taking on the larger balsa Yak…………
SeeMeDo is online now Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, Clevedon
Joined Jun 2007
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorrie View Post
Got a little bit of time to apply the vinal decals I had cut for me. Reckon it looks alright for a foamy!
Nice one mate

Brings back many memories of being down on the Mainland!
FlyingKiwi22 is online now Find More Posts by FlyingKiwi22
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM
Save a tree fly a foamy
petaluma CA
Joined Apr 2005
341 Posts
I have not been able to figure out why I like the Pilatus PC-6, but I do like it.

Anyway, I'll probably end up getting one as I keep watching the videos over and over.

Speaking of videos, here is one I enjoy:

Multiplex Pilatus PC6 - The first flights with the floats (12 min 21 sec)
S.Davy is offline Find More Posts by S.Davy