HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2004
191 Posts
Discussion
Paraboard balance connection to PowerLab 6

Just purchased a PL6 charger and must say I'm finding it a joy to used compared to my previous charger...

I have many ThunderPower batteries with EC3 connectors, so I purchased a PowerLab Thunder Power/Polyquest Balance Board (OPR-PL8TP/PQ).

I am looking forward to Parallel Charging packs - (should save me a lot of time), so I also got a Paraboard that has six EC3 connectors and TP balance taps already in place.

This has a JST-XH balancing connector, not the JST-PA that is on the PL6.... I have a "converter" cable on order - but this may take a couple of weeks to get here....

I notice that the PowerLab Balancing Board has JST-XH sockets as well s the TP sockets, so I wondered:

1. Could I could connect my Paraboard JST-XH balancing lead into the 6S PowerLab Balancing Board socket, and then connect the Balancing Board into the PL6?

2. If so, then would I need to change the tap selector option to XH rather than FMA?

All advice appreciated...
Homesick Angel is offline Find More Posts by Homesick Angel
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:00 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
The FMA board you have has TP and Polyquest (PQ)connectors. Not JST-XH. The PQ connectors are used by Hyperion and have the same pin spacing as the JST-XH. So yes, you can cram a JST-XH connector into the PQ port. But it will not fit correctly and you have to be very careful to get the polarity right as the guides in the connector will not help you.

You are correct, that you would also need to change the wiring type to FMA. This also means that you can ONLY charge 6s packs with the para board. I'm surprised that it will take weeks to get the right cable. Are not in the US? I didn't see a location listed on your profile.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Sep 2004
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
The FMA board you have has TP and Polyquest (PQ)connectors. Not JST-XH. The PQ connectors are used by Hyperion and have the same pin spacing as the JST-XH. So yes, you can cram a JST-XH connector into the PQ port. But it will not fit correctly and you have to be very careful to get the polarity right as the guides in the connector will not help you.

You are correct, that you would also need to change the wiring type to FMA. This also means that you can ONLY charge 6s packs with the para board. I'm surprised that it will take weeks to get the right cable. Are not in the US? I didn't see a location listed on your profile.
Thanks for te quick response. I am in the UK. Can't locate anyone selling the converter...

Just to check. I would set the PL6 to FMA, right?

ProgressiveRC say on their site that if I use a converter cable from JST-XH to JST-PA on the Paraboard, I have to set the charger to XH not FMA...????

Cheers
Last edited by Homesick Angel; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Addition
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick Angel View Post
Just to check. I would set the PL6 to FMA, right?

ProgressiveRC say on their site that if I use a converter cable from JST-XH to JST-PA on the Paraboard, I have to set the charger to XH not FMA...????

Cheers
Yes, you need to have the wiring mode set to FMA if you use the FMA board. Even if the paraboad is daisy chained. When you get the correct parallel board interconnect cable you will need to switch to JST-XH wiring mode. Remember that in this configuration you can only charge 6s packs.

Another option is to get one of these from FastLad and solder it onto your existing paraboard interconnect cable.

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/revo...l-p-14249.html
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Sep 2004
191 Posts
Thanks for the information - and the pointer to fast-lad!

Much appreciated.