SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:27 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Discussion
Micro trekker, different rx/esc?

With winter approaching I'm getting the itch to build something, and a more scale tiny crawler is one of my ideas. I figure I'll start with a losi micro trekker to get the gearbox, axles, wheels etc and maybe build a chassis/suspension from there, as well as finding a more realistic body.

The big question in my mind is if anyone has replaced the stock rx/esc with anything else, or if there's just no room in there for separate pieces? I know micro T guys do it all the time to run brushless ESC's, and I wouldn't be opposed to brushless in a crawler if I could find a low enough kv motor, but would prefer to stay brushed. I haven't been able to find any small fwd/rev brushed ESC's, but maybe I just don't know where to look?

The only real reason for wanting the different gear is so that I can keep the number of transmitters I need down.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:17 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
534 Posts
I have the same problem with my Ferrari. Try the Team Associated RC18 ESC, the Tekin B1R, etc...
Also the Xceleron Brushless from Losi might work with a Spektrum SR3500
Hope this helps
JSS4
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:30 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I've already got a few spare RX's, I'm just looking to see if anyone has done this or if there's no room at all in the chassis.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:22 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
i dont own a trail trekker but i have swaped electronics in my micro dt . i used a mamba 25 sidewinder esc as its small and does brushed and brushless motors and while not the cheapest option this unit would for sure fit any power needs . i also used the rx from a losi mini slider ( spectrum ) incase you have a spectrum unit some decase it to save yet more room i hope this helps a little .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:30 AM
Ninja-Exterminator
United States, ME, York
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcphreak View Post
i dont own a trail trekker but i have swaped electronics in my micro dt . i used a mamba 25 sidewinder esc as its small and does brushed and brushless motors and while not the cheapest option this unit would for sure fit any power needs . i also used the rx from a losi mini slider ( spectrum ) incase you have a spectrum unit some decase it to save yet more room i hope this helps a little .

That's what I went with on my last 18 as well. The Castle micro stuff is much like the plane ESCs we use...like a circuit board in a bag

Cheers,

RJ
tozovr is offline Find More Posts by tozovr
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Right now you can't buy the micro trail trekker without a radio.... so it certainly won't save you any money. Plus you get a 2.4 ghz transmitter that you won't mind letting kids try.

Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB