SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,245 Posts
Xviper is right on with the battery thing... So true on weights and sizes.. So often I too "wing it" with the general balance thing and adjust with trim (unless something is way off).. Many out there are so pre occupied with one mm cg difference its nuts and would challenge them to tell the difference..!!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
Did balance slightly tailheavy and will try to remember to find the exact measurements.. But a good radio with expo and travel adjustments is prime for a more controlled flight model to model.. Cliff
Cliff,
Thanks for the input. I think I will try to balance it out a little bit tail heavy to see how it will fly. I guess I'll have to wait a long time before this cause for this coming week things doesn't looks very nice with the winds here where I live. I almost always do fly in at least 10mph winds. There are very few wind calm days around here. Ben
tydfidelis is offline Find More Posts by tydfidelis
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydfidelis View Post
Hi Russ,
I've been reading a lot of your posts on this thread and want to thank you for all recommendations you shared to all the people like me reading this.
I put the battery at the beginning 9th rib beginning from the nose. Do you think I should have to push it further in?
Ben.
Xviper is pretty much right and there are people of check the CG every time before they fly but I'm not one of 'em. If you are pretty much stock and flying at the ninth rib with a 3S-2700 lipo...you should be fine. I DO check my CG for the first flight to make sure i'm not tail heavy..the worst situation that you can have! Nose heavy means u just can't get of the ground well and if you do you will be holding up elevator the whole flight. But tail heavy can loop you from the start and crash you into many pieces...don't ask me how I know

Also make sure that the battery is WELL SECURED...I lost my first two A-10's in the first month because of this...now I'm well into my second year with this model and I have been flying with 3S (yes, sadly the yellow ESC's) for about 4 minutes easily.

The worst thing is the flimsy nose gear...I have bent it back into place more times that I can count. But it seems to take it well.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:01 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydfidelis View Post
Cliff,
Thanks for the input. I think I will try to balance it out a little bit tail heavy to see how it will fly. I guess I'll have to wait a long time before this cause for this coming week things doesn't looks very nice with the winds here where I live. I almost always do fly in at least 10mph winds. There are very few wind calm days around here. Ben
It has been my experience and also from many bits and pieces of advice given in this forum, that going slightly nose heavy is better than tail heavy. A slightly nose heavy plane is more forgiving when other things don't go right. A tail heavy plane can "balloon" when reducing throttle and initiate a stall. An EDF is not a type of plane that you can immediately "pour on the coals" to get your speed back up.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:04 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Xviper,
Thanks for your remark, and your absolutely right.
The problem here is that my radio does not have expo settings so I'm tied only to the dual rates function which indeed I can toggle between 2 settings in flight which I will be configuring for my next flight. I will set switch "ON" to 70% and switch "OFF" to 100%. Maybe this can help me soften things out a little bit. I will take your advice on the horizontal elevator also, it should first fly with its stock setup. Only have to wait now for the winds to calm down a little bit since I don't think it's very smart to try to fly this plane in such winds like we have over here.
Ben
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
It has been my experience and also from many bits and pieces of advice given in this forum, that going slightly nose heavy is better than tail heavy. A slightly nose heavy plane is more forgiving when other things don't go right. A tail heavy plane can "balloon" when reducing throttle and initiate a stall. An EDF is not a type of plane that you can immediately "pour on the coals" to get your speed back up.
XVIPER,

You are right about this. I will take it seriously in consideration! I will definitely try to work on some trimming and the dual rates settings to see if this can help me out.

Ben
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Having no expo on your radio can make things a bit more of a challenge. Play with the travel limits till you find a comfortable setting. Nothing wrong with even reducing it to 50% on one switch position and 70% for the other. Expo just makes it so that our own "fumblebumness" is more manageable.
A fellow at my flying field watched me fly mine all season and finally got his own. The first flight was pretty typical of my first flight. The plane wandered up and down like it was bobbing for apples. Second flight was tamed.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:06 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
2,245 Posts
I feel need to re explain.. A little.. ? ... I always prefer flying nose heavy... However... From the readings I went more so "tailheavy" than I normally would.. With this A10... Meaning more toward the rear... not actually tailheavy.. That would be trouble!!! .. Ben... I feel your wind pain... As a newbie a bit ago it would ground me... but I need to fly and be in charge and control... I never thought I would try a powered sailplane until I saw one guy fly one.. in the wind.. Oh man..!! If you need to fly in the wind and are intimidated (I still am at times believe me) with your good planes try one.. !! I got a cheap Foam Minimoa from Hobby King and it gets me in the air when others are grounded.. Only a freindly suggestion.. And too please invest in a good radio if you are in this hobby for any longer length of time... It is amazing the control you will bring yourself.. OK ... Guys, I know this plane as a Warthog... Now too I see it called a Thunderbolt ... Any history lessons anyone before I Google? Cliff
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Having no expo on your radio can make things a bit more of a challenge. Play with the travel limits till you find a comfortable setting. Nothing wrong with even reducing it to 50% on one switch position and 70% for the other. Expo just makes it so that our own "fumblebumness" is more manageable.
A fellow at my flying field watched me fly mine all season and finally got his own. The first flight was pretty typical of my first flight. The plane wandered up and down like it was bobbing for apples. Second flight was tamed.
Xviper,
I will try the 50%-70% dual rates setting to see if it helps a bit. I use to fly two other models I have(a F22 raptor 64mm on 3s which one was my "trainer" and a F-4 phanthom) with almost no dual rates. these planes are also touchy but more stable in flight than this A10.
So next time I'm flying the A10 with these dual rate settings.

Ben
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:43 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
The A-10's design makes for a more twitchy elevator control because the wings are rather narrow and is located almost in the mid-section of the plane. Any elevator movement easily causes a see-saw reaction.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
I feel need to re explain.. A little.. ? ... I always prefer flying nose heavy... However... From the readings I went more so "tailheavy" than I normally would.. With this A10... Meaning more toward the rear... not actually tailheavy.. That would be trouble!!! .. Ben... I feel your wind pain... As a newbie a bit ago it would ground me... but I need to fly and be in charge and control... I never thought I would try a powered sailplane until I saw one guy fly one.. in the wind.. Oh man..!! If you need to fly in the wind and are intimidated (I still am at times believe me) with your good planes try one.. !! I got a cheap Foam Minimoa from Hobby King and it gets me in the air when others are grounded.. Only a freindly suggestion.. And too please invest in a good radio if you are in this hobby for any longer length of time... It is amazing the control you will bring yourself.. OK ... Guys, I know this plane as a Warthog... Now too I see it called a Thunderbolt ... Any history lessons anyone before I Google? Cliff
Cliff you're right I need to invest in a more expensive radio if I'm planning to stay in this hobby which I sure will do. But at the moment I'm flying let's say less expensive planes to get some experience and rather prefer to buy one or two planes more and fly them with this cheap but not really bad radio system than to buy one expensive radio and not having any plane to fly with. As you can see from my location I do not live in the US and have to order everything by internet from the US which will cost me something more than someone living in the states. But seeing all the advantages of a good radio, that's gonna be for sure my next goal. Talking about your sail plane, I did not know those models could handle windy situations. I will have to look for one cause here where I live it's 90% of the year very windy and sometimes I have to wait more than 3 months to get a less windy day to fly and that's DISGUSTING! and doesn't contribute to keep practicing my flying skills! That's why most people here at my flying club flies glow and gas engine balsa planes. But I will for sure check on hobbyking for one of those sailplanes and see how it handles the caribean winds!
Ben
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:18 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
The A-10's design makes for a more twitchy elevator control because the wings are rather narrow and is located almost in the mid-section of the plane. Any elevator movement easily causes a see-saw reaction.
Yes I really noticed it! And agree that it takes more efforts to control it without expo. But by now I have to live with this radio limitations and increase my flying skills in order to get a decent flight and most of all a decent landing.
With the information you guys give on this thread it can't go wrong.

Ben
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Ben, have you looked at "Ready2Fly"? They are in Europe and sell some of the brand name products you see in the USA. I'd buy from them but the shipping can be very high and they don't seem to be too interested in responding to N. American customers in a timely manner.
http://www.ready2fly.com/ki.php/en/NEW-ARRIVALS-38.html
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:37 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Ben, have you looked at "Ready2Fly"? They are in Europe and sell some of the brand name products you see in the USA. I'd buy from them but the shipping can be very high and they don't seem to be too interested in responding to N. American customers in a timely manner.
http://www.ready2fly.com/ki.php/en/NEW-ARRIVALS-38.html
Took a snapshot at the url you send me and it looks like they have some good products. But I think there price being in Euro is more expensive than the US. Almost every Europe shop I visited on the internet is in some matter pricier than the US. I think for me the shipping will also be the same as for US since I'm closer to US than to Europe. But thanks for the link. I will be taking a more detailed look at it. It seems like they have quality products

Ben
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:43 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
2,245 Posts
Holy Moly..!! that ready2fly site is pricey..!!
RCG Plus Member