SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:24 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
How much weight can a FC carry? Its got a big wing so I would imagine it can carry some extra weight.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:07 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
I made my struts from 3/8" K&S streamline aluminium tube. I used ca hinge material to fasten them at the wing and a 4-40 pushrod end and clevis at the other end.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:37 PM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flahultarn View Post
Happened to see the D-EFUN original and it's not a taildragger! MPX seems to have liked the name.
Hmmm Just as well Apple don't own that plane otherwise MP would be subject to a law suit
Redbrickman is offline Find More Posts by Redbrickman
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:17 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
One thing iv found helpful when doing 3d with the funcub is you need to stiffen the wing. as it seems to "smile" a bit on heavy pullouts. and my friend had his first funcubs wing separate from the plane doing a fast powered pullout lol. So you best bet is probably to put some struts on it to keep that wing flat. Another thing is your gonna want more aileron authority so you will want to bevel the bottom hinge line on the ailerons at more of an angle to get greater down aileron throw. Also your gonna want to do a few things to elevator and rudder to get more throw. this just invloves pivot placement at the control horns and servo arms. thats common sense. but yeah run a 3s combo with a motor of about 1100-1250kv with either a 12x6-12x8 or a 13x5. These are good setups. but the 13x5 prop will draw more amps... but you get crazy power.

well there is my 2 cents

-Colin

Thanks for the info! I will deff do the control surfaces mods! More throw more throw more throw...LOL...
3171scott is online now Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
If you want stupid power, get the engine that I'm running. It will basically do full speed strait up. I hover at around 1/3 throttle. Take offs in 5? inches, unlimited vertical (of course) and it will accelerate real fast from hover to vertical climb, you can get out of ANYTHING with this engine

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18122

It's a bit on the heavy side, so you need to reinforce your landing gear with another piano wire and you need the floor stiffener kit and engine mount (with the extra big optional mount that he sells). Even then it's a PITA to fit as the X-mount is so huge that you need to cut it on all 4 sides, make new holes in the X-mount and secure the screws at an angle, so it's a tight fit, but it is a BLAST once you get it all together.

And when I say NEED, I mean NEED. My stock plastic motor mounts broke in 2 mid air and the engine flew out :P Pics are some pages further back.

I'm running it on a 4S 2200 with a 13x6.5E prop.

I think it might be better/easier to build your own firewall by cutting off the front and putting a Super Cub cowling on it as it will be a VERY tight fit with all the foam. Mine was pretty messed up before I installed the floor kit (after the motor ejected) so the foam was not in my way. It might be better to cut off some foam with a knife and gluing it back on later as a way to get around it.

Thanks for the info... My LHS just got in a couple of CNC cut motor mounts for the FC.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:32 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,565 Posts
Our FC is getting new shoes today. Brad is changing the Dubros for some Dave Browns.
Going to save over 250g. Have to extend the axle, aluminum tubing and some epoxy.
Fancy way to keep them on, picture when it is done. That's over half a pound and they
look great

Hope we get to fly it before winter sets in! Oh well..
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Sep 22, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
I was thinking about picking up a set of these. What do you guys think?

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/HBZ7122.html

Not sure what you are trying to go for looks or stability? The prob I see is that they wont have any stability when inverted. Like I said not sure how you fly but if you plan on any hard inverted flight I donít think they will do much.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
Not sure what you are trying to go for looks or stability? The prob I see is that they wont have any stability when inverted. Like I said not sure how you fly but if you plan on any hard inverted flight I donít think they will do much.
Agree.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:21 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
I was thinking about picking up a set of these. What do you guys think?

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/HBZ7122.html
If you are stressing the FC to the point where you need to worry about wing struts and/or are trying to learn 3D, I would suggest picking up a Multiplex Parkmaster or Acromaster.
The FC seems to designed just fine to what it was intended to do.

Just my 2 cents ... And yes, you have change coming.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:54 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
Flew some combat flights with my friend Jim and our Assassin wings today, what a blast!

Flew 4 nice flights with my FC as well. What a relaxing fun plane to fly. Nice rolls and loops. Landings are just too easy with this bird, grass or asphalt, flaps or no flaps, just a big sweetheart.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Hope we get to fly it before winter sets in! Oh well..
You will just have to do some equally impressive mods for floats or skis so you can fly all year round. HK sell a reasonable transmitter mitt and even LiPo powered heaters to keep your hands toasty warm.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,565 Posts
Brad does not do cold, he is an old bear, he hibernates in the winter. And is real
grumpy.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:51 AM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,650 Posts
'Got Rocks' FunCub maiden!

Well, the 'Got Rocks' FunCub maidened today! Talk about relief! She flew well despite being a 'bit' heavier. No problems other than catching a gust on the first landing. I was worried about the gear being a bit 'soft' so I added a couple o-rings last night, turned out to be a little too stiff, and she tended to bounce on landing but I think we've got them dialed in now! Time to get started on the struts and a few other details and then ~ Fly Robin Fly! ~

'Got Rocks' FunCub Maiden Quick Edit (4 min 8 sec)

There are some more photo's from today on my blog. ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Speaking of landing gear. I just fnished the (re)building of the second fuse for my FC and used the replacement gear from the H9 Super Cub 25e. This required shortening the top shock mount and both lower shock tubes. Don't try this unless you are comfortable cross drilling small diameter stainless tube. It also required imbeding hardwood blocks into the fuse bottom to hang the gear on. Since the H9 SC is a lot heavier than my FC the action of the gear is quite stiff. Has anyone pulled the bungee covers off this gear and know what is under them? I am hoping for a maiden later today to see how they work as is but am pretty sure I will need to soften them up.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:38 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
How much weight can a FC carry? Its got a big wing so I would imagine it can carry some extra weight.
Anyone test payload capacity? Thanks
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR