HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2003, 03:41 PM
OAK
Norway
Joined Oct 2002
171 Posts
Stinger w/Mega 16/15/3 Flight report

Hi !

As I promised a while ago I'll post a report of my Stinger flying with Mega brushless.

Initially I flew it a while with a stock speed400 and CAM-speed 4,7x4,7 or 5x5. I'm not sure wich of these props I like best!

The battery-packs I use is a 8-cell 500AR, and a 7-cell 600AE.

This is my first experiences with a pylon 400 plane. My first impression was that these things have serious acceleration when the nose is pointed downwards, but as soon as I pull up, the speed400 rpm drops off and the climb-speed was not impressive. (but this was expected of course...)

After about 10-20 flights I decided to put in the Mega 16/15/3. (that I bought at the same time as the rest of equipment for the Stinger). My wish was to gain some experience before upgrading power and be able to get a feel of what a difference the brushless setup would be in power/speed.

And now is the question....Was there a difference ???

YES, definitively. Both top-speed and the power in climbs increased drastically. Although the top-speed increased pretty much, the raw power (acceleration) and vertical speed was the thing that increased the most (compared to the speed400).

Before I had to point the nose down to see some acceleration. Now I can bank hard in a turn at half throttle with pretty good speed, apply full throttle and just wach the crisp acceleration while still in the turn. Launching is also easier. Half-throttle, standing-still launch it just climbs out at 45 degrees. Apply full throttle and it goes vertical (while "torque-rolling"
) )

The performance from the 8-cell 500AR is way beyond the 7-cell 600AE. When flying with the 600AE-pack just after the 500AR it is almost like a relaxing sunday-flight in comparison.

Now I GOT TO get my KAN950's soldered into a pack. Have nine of these but I am not sure if I should just build a 8-cell pack or if I should do some brain-twisting to squeese all nine into the fuse. Would be exhilarating flight, no doubt.

Regards
OAK
OAK is online now Find More Posts by OAK
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2003, 06:40 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
I am thinking about trying a Mega 16/15/3 in my stinger. I have a 6v400, 8x500AR in it now.
How good is the vertical? Does it have unlimited vertical to out of site? How much more speed did it pick up from stock?
I would like to try to get 9 cells in the stinger if possible if I get a mega in it. I dont think I could get 9x1100hecells in there? Will the KAN950's stand the amps of the mega? I have to experience of them? How big are they?
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Mar 23, 2003, 09:59 AM
OAK
Norway
Joined Oct 2002
171 Posts
With 8-cells it goes vertical to out of sight. (well I havn't really let it go til it IS out of sight, but it continues until it is really small with no noticeable speed-drop).

I'm not sure how much more speed, but it is definitively a difference, but the biggest difference is that with the speed400 motor you had to dive from high altitude to get to top speed. Now I can fly almost horizontal, then apply full throttle and reach almost top-speed. Although diving still help, the horizontal speed is great.

The speed in turns is also remarkably better as it just pulls through the turn with almost no speed-drop.

Since I have so much "superfluous" thrust I probably can gain even more speed by pitching up the propeller. But I have to modify the prop myself because I don't know of any propellers available with more pitch. Maybe looking for 4,5x6 or something like that.

The KAN950 is claimed to outperform the 1100HEcells. Up to 20Amps should be no problem. More than that would probably work too, but maybe shorten their life somewhat. I don't know much about this really. Have just read what it says here on the forum. They are pretty much the same size as 500AR

When I got the pack soldered I'll post some information about rpm with various packs/propellers. Maybe amps too.

KAN950 Cell Information:

IR: 7 milliohms
Weight: 21 grams
Length: 29 mm
Diameter: 17 mm

Regards
Ole André Knutsen
OAK is online now Find More Posts by OAK