SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:18 AM
AJD
Joined Jun 2006
21 Posts
Help!
WWII German Camouflage colors

Finishing a FW 190 (1/2A electric) Can anyone advise where WWII German camouflage paints can be obtained. Also what is the best covering material to use when a paint finish is going to be used.

Thanks
AJD
AJD is offline Find More Posts by AJD
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:02 PM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,653 Posts
When I need to paint a plane, I buy a little can of humbrol enamel of each color I need, I paint all these colors on a sheet of thick paper. Then I go to the local DIY shop with this paper with the colors. In the DIY overhere, they have these paint mixing machines. There are big books with thousends of colors, you just pick one, ask this at the shop personel and they mix your color. For a can of 0.5l I pay as much as 5 little cans of humbrol so it really pays off.

Grtz

Tom
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0
Old Dec 22, 2006, 01:16 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Feb 2006
1,000 Posts
Unless you're going for scale competition, why not just print off the camo colors on a sheet of paper and take them to Michael's and match up as close as you can with the acrylics?
Doc Holliday is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holliday
Old Dec 22, 2006, 01:40 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,792 Posts
Testors makes an entire line of enamels mixed to WW-II RLM specs. Airbrush it on and protect it with a clear laquer topcoat.

Check with squadron or roll models availablilty
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:08 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Tamiya also makes great paints....easy to spray with an airbrush--I typically don't have to thin the paint to spray from my Badger 155. But if you decide to, use 91% rubbing alchohol---not 70%, it does make a difference. Testors of course is another good choice. They actually market all or nearly all of the RLM standard colors. Depending on which part of the war and theater you looking to dress your 190 as, a standard mix of RLM 74, 75, 76 is a good scheme. The Alfa 190 is painted along those linesn for reference. Check out www.aeromaster.com. They are a scale model after market decal center. They have some awesome paint schemes to choose from. Sadly they don't make markings large enough for MOST RC. I think they biggest they make is 1/24th scale. Good luck and be sure to post pics.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Dec 22, 2006, 05:56 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
www.warbirdcolors.com
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Dec 22, 2006, 06:39 PM
inconceivable
Joined Sep 2006
1,946 Posts
Great site thunder1 i have added it to my list,ta,