HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
919 Posts
Mike The Snake posted this in another thread & figured it's such useful advice it ought to live here too.
(I know he posted something similar long ago, but it's almost lost in this huge thread)

"One of the things I did when I was building Opuses for people was wicking thin CA all along all the hinges, then cracking them loose.

I found that the Opus MC3/V wing skins delammed very easily, and after just a short time of flying, even without any hard landings, that the delams formed.

Wicking the thin CA into the hinges effectively solved this issue. I did it to every plane I built.

The hinge material, sandwiched into the skins, forms a weak area, right where it needs to be even stronger. The thin CA wicks into this area through capilary action and makes it rock solid."
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,566 Posts
On my double glass Opus at least, The cores are not tapered down to the hinge line so the two sandwich halves are not joined. I can definiely see how this could be a delam point. Good tip!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:15 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,337 Posts
opus build reference.
LVSloper is offline Find More Posts by LVSloper
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:32 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
Opus fuses for sale Check it out!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814311
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:24 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,337 Posts
Opus MCT

just finished up my opus MCT, all up weight is 108 ounces. Looking forward to the spring winds at Weldon and Norco, can't wait to put her to the test. I left room for an additional 30 oz. Of ballast for the 45mph winds at Weldon. This one has an all black bottom wing; anyone seen one like this before?
Best,
Mike
Last edited by LVSloper; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:58 PM
Semper Fidelis
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Jul 2005
1,446 Posts
Looks good Mike. I met you a few weeks ago at Norco. Just acquired a new to me MCT. It's about 85oz. Empty. Got a maiden on it yesterday at Little Mountain. Note the 2.4 install. Quad ant. We had the logger on it yesterday. Zero holds and some normal fades from the front antennas. Install is solid. Thanks James.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359399503.934927.jpg
Views: 71
Size: 100.3 KB
Description:
John
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:20 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,337 Posts
John, maybe we will get some good winds soon for Norco and we can have a Opus fest. Nice flying with you too.

Mike
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:38 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gas View Post
Looks good Mike. I met you a few weeks ago at Norco. Just acquired a new to me MCT. It's about 85oz. Empty. Got a maiden on it yesterday at Little Mountain. Note the 2.4 install. Quad ant. We had the logger on it yesterday. Zero holds and some normal fades from the front antennas. Install is solid. Thanks James.
Attachment 5488539
John
John. Are u using jr/spektrum? Can u post some Pictues of the radio install?
Are u running a legerton tray?

My mct is the last plane I have on 72. I've got some carbon fuse jr receivers with remotes that I plan on installing.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:38 PM
foam is fun, but glass is fast
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
444 Posts
Hi rockbus, I did the install of ant exits, John did the tidying up of the loose wires and such. The logger was a huge relief to know the install is good, highest fade count was just over a hundred on one of the fronts, rears were less then 40. We flew little mountain and has a radio tower to the right and it kills the guys on airtronics big time, I have seen spectrum planes take hit on park flier Rx's as well.
Redfarren is online now Find More Posts by Redfarren
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:49 PM
foam is fun, but glass is fast
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
444 Posts
Another pic. I used a pin vice (handheld drill thingy) to make the holes and a tiny hacksaw blade to make the slot. I didn't open the fuse enough to fit the whole fin on ant exit piece, cut it short on back end. Used an extension on a thin ca to make sure everything is solid from inside fuse at the exit holes I made. Going to do an install on the mct I picked last weekend tonight, thank you Tony!
Redfarren is online now Find More Posts by Redfarren
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:53 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,701 Posts
Redfarren,

Thanks for the pics. It looks like you're using JR/Spektrum equipement. I'm going to do the same. I like like the logger, That way you know for sure how each receiver is working. Too bad they dont have a telemetry setup to tell you how the receiver is receiveing real time.

Ray
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:03 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,133 Posts
Redfarren,

i see that your antennas installation is in the right position, 90 degrees between each one...
but, I see your antennas going paralellal to the fuse when the plane is flying, duo to huge wind, the antennas will tend to be in the horizontal position which is not good since all antennas will be running in the same position.
I use some linkage plastic tubes on the antennas exits, so, it'll avoid flexing when flying...
I know that carbon will cause the shaodow, any other thing will do it? like the lead on the nose,.. or... electronics.. batteries???

John, very nice plane BTW - take it to Weldon in April and we can flight together, see yaaa..

Andre
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones