HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2014, 07:20 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Discussion
Wind generator from brushless motor with Foamie Tail ...

Seems like a good idea ??? ... free power at the flying field ... ? Would a common brushless motor generate electricity when turning ? .. I know it’s 3 wire , so some extra circuitry may (or may not) be involved... Mounted on a post as per usual ... Big FFF tail to keep it in the wind ...
Anybody tried this yet ?
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2014, 08:47 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Something like this ... limited in rotation to 180degrees , if the wind changes direction drastically you just rotate the pole ... a concession to simple ...

may be useful for Off grid battery charging , on cloudy days ... ...
Old Apr 28, 2014, 08:54 AM
United States, MD, St Mary's
Joined Apr 2013
228 Posts
I'm no electronics genius, but I am under the impression that motors and generators are two different things, each specifically designed for a specific purpose. I don't think you can generate electricity with a normal, off-the-shelf electric motor, but I await more experienced folks to weigh in.
Snardo is offline Find More Posts by Snardo
Old Apr 28, 2014, 08:54 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,936 Posts
Ya know, i have benn pondering doing something like that as a wind speed indicator. Stick it up on the barn roof peak and run wires down to volt meter, calibrate to my hand held guage. But then i need a tx to send the signal to my night stand and plane room too!

Your idea a bit more practical tho.....
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:30 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Snardo, we’ve generated electricity with brushed model motors before ... Just wondering if the brushless with stronger magnets now and no brush wear problems might work ... Curious!!
Spring, I think it’s just a matter of wiring ...after all a coil is passing through a magnetic field .... something’s gotta’ happen eh ?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:44 AM
Calgary Alberta
Joined Apr 2004
166 Posts
Yes but you get ac output... So needs to be rectified to DC - converted to a steady voltage then maybe swapped back to use able ac

Most of the bigger DIY wind guys wind their own bldc motors for power production - would need to be pretty big to really provide charging power...
AndyCold is offline Find More Posts by AndyCold
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:20 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
OK, it was just an idea ... Was thinking , since we finished the Rolling Hanger (FoamStream) that would be another alternative power source... for small things (?) ... Already have solar panels available ...
Old Apr 28, 2014, 01:18 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,246 Posts
That would be interesting: a Wind farm on top of the Foamstream.
Best if removable for driving tho.. Or perhaps that's the ticket?
Wouldn't any wind force adequate to power the turbines likely preclude Flying.
A self solving problem :-)
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:00 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
I suppose , unless on the way to calmer place eh ?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:30 PM
Joined Aug 2004
314 Posts
GPW...Did you blog your "foamstream" on tnttt? Been wantin' to do one forever...even the wife approves !
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Apr 29, 2014, 04:50 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Thailand, Uttaradit, Bo Thong
Joined Jun 2007
803 Posts
Attachment 6723447
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCold View Post
Yes but you get ac output... So needs to be rectified to DC - converted to a steady voltage then maybe swapped back to use able ac
I haven't played around with this, but I don't think you would get AC. I believe you would get 3 separate DC pulses from the the 3 winding combinations, so you would run each winding thru a pair of diodes to give you a combined voltage having a saw-tooth looking waveform, which could be averaged out with a large electrolytic capacitor,

But this opens the can of worms so to speak, what wattage motor and how does KV calculate ????, what size prop etc. Now we need a new calculator program

Marty
mbpetri is offline Find More Posts by mbpetri
Last edited by mbpetri; Apr 29, 2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 05:07 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
PLD, here’s the thread... http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=45027

Marty , We’ve got plenty of diodes and caps to play with (we build tube guitar amps ) ... Just an experiment , may be useful ??? Something to tinker with ...
Old Apr 29, 2014, 05:26 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
803 Posts
with this arrangement, it doesn't matter which direction the prop is turning, the polarity will always be correct. The size of the diode depends on how much current you expect to draw from the circuit.

Marty
Old Apr 29, 2014, 05:33 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
PLD, here’s the thread... http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=45027

Marty , We’ve got plenty of diodes and caps to play with (we build tube guitar amps ) ... Just an experiment , may be useful ??? Something to tinker with ...
Many moons ago, I built many guitar amps using the Fender Twin Reverb design as a front end with 50 or 100 Watt solid state output, Very popular.

Marty
Old Apr 29, 2014, 05:58 AM
Marty Petri Sr.
Joined Jun 2007
803 Posts
GPW,

Cute trailer. I used to buy 1/8" bending poplar plywood in the states. It is used in construction for curved store fronts, you can get it so it bends sideways or lengthwise. I used to carry a 4x8 sheet rolled up in a station wagon. Built many big gassers with that stuff.

Marty