Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:59 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,290 Posts
Discussion
Can I make wood putty?

Can I make wood putty?

I know the flour and CA trick, But this big dent is in the leading edge of a finished wing, CA would probably get where I don't want it.(doesn't it always?)..... is there a paintable alternative?

Thank you in advance!
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:22 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,223 Posts
Why not use light weight spakle compound
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:40 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,498 Posts
I've had great success with Model Lite filler.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:45 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
I agree with the spackle if its just a surface dent.( i use it all the time myself ) I'm sure you have heard of the water & heat method to raise the wood as another way to remove a slight dent.Another way,if its too deep,is that you may have to cut into the wood and replace it with new wood & then sand it to the desired shape. When i was a kid i made putty with balsa dust & elmers white glue. It was difficult to sand since it was harder than the surrounding wood, but worked in a pinch.....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:46 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,721 Posts
It depends on the area you're planning to fill, how thick the filler will be (if it's really thick, use balsa as a filler), and what your filling will be covered with. I've used spackling (regular and light weight), Elmer's wood filler, epoxy and micro-balloons, and balsa sawdust/sanding dust or talcum powder mixed with carpenters glue. I've stayed away from anything mixed with CA since the CA cures very hard and makes it difficult to sand (I have seen dirt mixed with CA for a field repair).

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:48 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
this is what I use for all non structual filler!

if it's structural, I use epoxy and dalsa sandings!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:11 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,290 Posts
Whiskey, where I'm gonna fine dat dalsa sand? LOL

Thank you, Gene. I'm old enough where I'm forgetting some of the tricks I used to know...crap.

This ding is on the leading edge and you could hide a pencil in it. I thought of lightweight Spackle right away, but I'm worried it will not be durable enough for every day (flight) handling. Thanks agin
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:37 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,548 Posts
scootr if its that big, you might hafta think about fitting in a chunk of balsa, and shaping ta match!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post

Thank you, Gene. I'm old enough where I'm forgetting some of the tricks I used to know...crap.

This ding is on the leading edge and you could hide a pencil in it. I thought of lightweight Spackle right away, but I'm worried it will not be durable enough for every day (flight) handling. Thanks agin
If its that big... just cut a chunk of balsa wood down and glue it in.. sand it... throw some lightweigt spackle in there.. and just final sand it.

If wood was in the ding before.. wood would (punn intended)..be best to put back in there. Me thinks so... but thats just me.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
41 Posts
Patch-n-paint.
GaryHarris is offline Find More Posts by GaryHarris
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:44 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post

If it's the shape of a pencil too how about cutting a piece of dowl and epoxy that in place? Then mix some sawdust and epoxy to fill the small gaps left. I would have to take a piece of balsa and a sanding drum to make the dust though. I don't build from kits( or at least haven't yet) so I don't have any dust on hand.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:39 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,161 Posts
The "Old Man" here -just passing through...I use lightweight spackle on minor dings, too big to swell back to shape..Fill it and sand it to final finish, then flood it with thin C/A.
You won't 'ding' it there again.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:27 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
The "Old Man" here -just passing through...I use lightweight spackle on minor dings, too big to swell back to shape..Fill it and sand it to final finish, then flood it with thin C/A.
You won't 'ding' it there again.
The simplest things are genius at times. I know the old baking soda and CA trick but it gets so hard you can't shape it afterwards....... your idea to shape the lt wt Spackle (which I deemed too soft) and then flood it with CA is genius to me. Yet obvious! I like it. Thank you. I shall try that on a sample to see how it goes.