HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:54 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Here's the plane I use on balsa: http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/Razor-...FYXc4AodQ3QAcw
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:08 AM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
A tip I have found useful. I usually slot for the hinge before I sand (plane) the bevel, especially if I am using my hinge slotter, also I usually start the slot with a hobby knife as it keeps the hinge slotter from jumping as much. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Last edited by jbrooks01; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:20 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
John,

THanks for the tip. I did cut mine before beveling the ailerons. I didn't have any problem with it jumping. I had a pretty good groove from the center marking tool and set the corner of the blade into the tool pretty well before starting.

--
Tom
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:24 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
I carried on yesterday and fiber glassed the center joint of the wing. This is the first time I've used CA to wet down the fiberglass instead of epoxy. I think I'm going back to epoxy in the future. Although I did consider using Titebond wood glue. I know it'll grab the wood well, just don't know how well it'll bond with the fiberglass.
After the joint setup, I mounted the wing and got the holes drilled for the wing bolts. Now I can proceed with finishing up the last few bits of the wing and finish up the fuselage. Then I do the empennage and I'm ready to final sand and start covering.

Can't wait to get her in the air! I miss having a Tiger to fly. Just wish I could find a 120 kit.

--
Tom
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:19 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
More progress this weekend. I have the pads mounted to reinforce the wing bolts in the wing, the fairing to match the leading edge belly of the wing to the fuse, and the remainder of the fuse parts. A little more filling on the fairing and I think I'm ready to sand and cover. Although I still need to build the tail feathers, but they'll go quickly. Looks like I might actually have her ready for SEFF!!

--
Tom
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:36 PM
sgu
United States, VA, Centreville
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Looking Great. And, thanks for making me feel better about my workbench clutter. When I get building, I don't see the materials piling up until I just can't work anymore. I really don't mind, it's comforting to me to have everything at hand. However, at some point I have to take a break and clean up...and that feels good too.

Dave
sgu is offline Find More Posts by sgu
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:38 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
Yes, that's my kind of work bench. Looking good. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:50 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
More progress...

I still need to build the horizontal stab and elevator, then sand the empennage and I'll be done with the basic construction. Next up is covering!!

--
Tom
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:35 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Finished most of the covering this weekend. I still have a hatch, the ailerons, and the elevator to cover. Otherwise, I'm done with the basic covering. I just need to do the graphics. Still haven't decided exactly how I'm going to do those though. I'm thinking water slide decal for the smaller stuff.

--
Tom
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:40 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
She's looking good Tom.

Great thing about electrics - if you get the gear installed and the basic covering done and a good, calm test- flying day happens, you can go do the first test flights and add the trim atop the covering afterwards.

Can't do that with an oily model!

Good luck with your project
D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Glued on the horizontal stab this evening. Still need to cover the elevator and then I'll put it on via CA hinges and I'll be able to glue on the vertical stab.

Photos later. RCG won't upload them right now.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:37 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
She is coming along! Unfortunately, I'm starting to think I'm running out of time before SEFF. Just too much other life happening. But, she'll be ready for Randy Covington at least. And there's always SEFF next year!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:02 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Well,finally got a little more time to work on the Copper Tiger. I covered and installed the ailerons last night. Then this evening, I soldered up the bullet connectors and installed the motor and speed control.