HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:28 AM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
284 Posts
Discussion
TurboCad Issues

I will try to make this as short as possible. I import TurboCad files into CorelDraw for laser cutting. In order to do that, I have to save the TC files in DXF instead of TC since CD does not recognize TC. Because CD only recognizes certain font for lettering as well, I save that particular font on a template along with all the other features that I use. When I open that template (which is in DXF), it always opens in Times New Roman font. All the other saved features are there. Is there anyway to over ride this defaulting to Times New Roman? BTW, the laser only likes certain fonts. What ever font I put in a template and save in TC it stays there. Iím confused why if itís saved in DXF the font changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One last comment, the laser will cut in TurboCad but it just does a much better job in CorelDraw.
Thanks,
John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,092 Posts
Sounds just like my workflow- draw in TC16 save in dxf and open in CD X3. The only font problem I had was this_ I draw on Turbocad on a laptop upstairs and laser cut on a different computer downstairs with Corel. Both computers need the same fonts or else it defaults to TNR. I never really noticed the problem when using the same computer. I'll have to test it, but I'm thinking since dxf is an old basic format it might not support newer TrueType Fonts.
I use corel for all the nesting as it has my 25 x 18 paper space that is the same as the laser. I also use it for lettering as it does a better job imo.

Edit-more info

Well I just tried it at work. Created several drawings in Turbocad with a variety of fonts and saved as dxf. Then opened dxf in Corel and fonts stayed the same. Mind you these are fonts that came with Windows, not add-ons, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'll have to try at home where I have loads of 3rd party fonts.
TomM is offline Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TomM; Feb 15, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:18 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
Yes, it does make a difference as to which fonts you use.

And different computers. I had Corel loaded on two different computers. One was not updated as often and I frequently had font issues between the two (same version of Corel).

Also an issue if you have different versions of Windows or aftermarket fonts.

One last thing. Not all fonts are interpreted the same by different programs. You can maintain the same font, but, size, and shapes may change between programs.

Your experience is interesting since our laser cuts slower from Corel than CAD. But, if the files are "screwed up" then Corel will 'fix' a lot of the problems automatically.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
284 Posts
The text in the drawing itself from TC to DXF do stay the same (what ever font they done in), but the drawing itself defaults to Times New Roman. If I save a template (blank) drawing in DXF and and use Eras Light 3/16 font and open it to do a drawing, it always reverts (defaults) to Times New Roman 1/4. If I include on that template blue border, red hashed center lines etc, all of these come back, just the font changes. Also having problems with the laser program defaulting to black on the text when I send it to the laser...................

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker