HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:52 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
Yes, it has good enough dihedral already from the picture you posted.
The old 7.2V 600mAh NiMh pack could give my old Pico J3-F 15 minutes duration in the air if I recall it correctly. The old brushed ESC cuts off motor power at 2.30V each cell on the said NiMh one, while it's better to cut off at 3.75 - 3.80V each cell when using Lipoly pack today, so I'd guess that your 2S 800 lipo could give you 15 more minutes each duration as you might only use 2/3 throttle for climbing up, and half or even less throttle for level flight, and the heat sink might not be required when using 2S during winter. And in my idea it's NOT a good idea using 3S on this IPS brushed motor.
We ordered some 2s 1300's this morning. Around 80g.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:44 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
[QUOTE=arnav;23972253

Not to mix work with pleasure, but are folks at work jumping for joy with all the issues with the Dreamliner? [/QUOTE]

Haha, I wouldn't say we're jumping for joy, but there's definitely a 'job security' smugness in the air. Having said that, Boeing have at least managed to get the Dreamliner out to customers, and we haven't even got a the A350 prototype flying yet!
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:17 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
nah, you guys are good. I thought that the Dreamliner is the answer to the A380. Its just that it took them so long to put it out there....
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Maybe Airbus is working out electrical issues....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:40 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Maybe Airbus is working out electrical issues....
No, it's carbon fibre issues. I gave them all the advice they could ever need about lithium batteries!!!
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:49 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Thanks for the help. We are still looking at the possible thing to do.
We have some 2s 800's but they are far too light, we will have to
add some weight to the nose.
Those packs are ideal. If you mount the landing gear just behind the motor, it is easier to get the GG right with lighter packs. It also helps prevent nose overs so it's a good prop/shaft saver too. I had an 80 gram Nimh pack that worked ok, but the wings were clearly stressed. I wouldn't dare a loop as even a light gust of wind would bow the wings too much for comfort.
With a 2s 720 it would really float and loops were safe. I used bamboo skewers instead of CF though, so you can likely get away with more weight.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
No, it's carbon fibre issues. I gave them all the advice they could ever need about lithium batteries!!!
You better call Boeing
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:15 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Working on repairs tonight....

Got the Techone Swift done....

Put a new motor in the Stearman - just need to finish bracing the landing gear and she will be done. Went with a Power Up 400 Sport from Heads Up since I already had it - should be plenty of motor

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
I glued my Pico Moth fuse together......Still working on dialing out some of the dihedral
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
Hope to post video soon of what I think is the ultimate Formosa 1 recipe:

100+ gm 480 size motor, ie PowerUp 480 Plus.
4S 1300-1500mah, I like Zippy compacts
APC 8x6
40amp ESC
10-14gm MG servos, I used only 1 for ailerons and reinforced linkage wherever possible and NO flutter experienced

and lastly but so important- ParkZone T-28 main Landing Gear to support the extra weight; available at your LHS for under $10
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:58 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
str8 - post that video and I will be inspired to start in on mine next weekend. That sounds like an amazing recipe

Been painting my half-finished Corsair a light gray last couple nights and it looks like it'll take another coat. Should have it done within a week.

Maidened a Micro Slow Stick today
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:22 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8.cash View Post
Hope to post video soon of what I think is the ultimate Formosa 1 recipe:

100+ gm 480 size motor, ie PowerUp 480 Plus.
4S 1300-1500mah, I like Zippy compacts
APC 8x6
40amp ESC
10-14gm MG servos, I used only 1 for ailerons and reinforced linkage wherever possible and NO flutter experienced

and lastly but so important- ParkZone T-28 main Landing Gear to support the extra weight; available at your LHS for under $10
480 motor and 4S battery on a small Formosa?
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:20 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I am not a big fan of overloading an airplane with too much power, so I would not call your set up the "Ultimate" Formosa 1 set-up either, unless all you want is speed.

I think that plane will perform better all around with less motor/battery/etc and less overall weight

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I am not a big fan of overloading an airplane with too much power, so I would not call your set up the "Ultimate" Formosa 1 set either unless all you want is speed.

I think that plane will perform better all around with less motor/battery/etc and less overall weight

Wolfe
Heck I've been here long enough to remember NoFlyZone's brag about having the world's lightest Formosa. 10 or 12 oz., I think it was. Seriously though, this plane doesn't need much juice, and zips through the sky on 100 watts with ease.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:51 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
Precision aerobatics on 100 watts?

All of my Formosas are EPO so I'm thinkin' at least 200 watts/450 outrunner on 3S.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam