Old Jan 09, 2011, 02:39 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Repair progress

Here come the repair photos:

Damage:

Squeezing the fuse flat while the epoxy dries. I sheeted the inside with 1/64" ply to regain the strength lost from the fractured fiberglass.

Buffing up the surface to get all the bumps and chips out.

Filler time.

Here you can see the sheeting.

Some good sanding and smoothing and here it is with the new primer on it. So smooth... so straight...

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 02:57 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
i dont use all the throw, but its there if i need it.....certainly helps at low speeds... but i agree, i think you have a little more sweep....not much....but enough to shift the cg back a good amount. i always setup my high rates pretty hot for hand launch models...because my throws suck....i need all the control to work my way out of bad situatons....but beeing overly nose heavy certainly didnt help you either.

repair work is looing good...ive already had to fix mine a few times growing pains i recon....about the time we get them 100% figured out...well need to build new ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
?? you asked AFTER the crash, silly...

CN: If I had the CG right, I wouldn't need gigantic throws..
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:01 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
good idea on the 1/64 ply....my nose looks a bit like yours from the cartwheel landings....ill have to implement that into the body work fix. really doesnt loo too bad.....your first crash was about as much damage as brets bad throw combined with the damage my son did to mine....so now were even! nothing like a little extra weight this time....dont listen to anything i say...do what you think is best for your model...works out better that way. i didnt realise you had more sweep, or i never would have recomended my cg.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:27 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
I just did a rough check and my CG was way forward from your recommendation - so I was in trouble from the start.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:36 AM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,319 Posts
Ah... Don't like videos like this one ! These tiny birds don't forgive any mistake. CG 3 mm forward on a big plane or glider is almost nothing, but on micro models, it can be the difference between life and death.
GGRN is online now Find More Posts by GGRN
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:51 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Bummer Dave! Sorry to see that happen BUT it looks like you will have it straightened around and ready for your successful maiden soon!

I should have some video of CNs from Friday edited down and up here by later today. I need to spend a little time with my girls this AM ... something about coming home from a road trip and then immediately parking myself at my PC to edit video NEVER goes over so well?
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:01 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
i hear ya on that one!

what does b side mean? maybe im just dumb...but i didnt get it....
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:17 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
i hear ya on that one!

what does b side mean? maybe im just dumb...but i didnt get it....
No you are not dumb. It was an obscure reference on my part, to what they used to do to the little 45 RPM records you could buy? The front or "A" side would have the hit song and the back or "B" side would have some other song from the album, usually one nobody had heard of? So, I was alluding to those photos being lesser in quality than the first set I posted?

Bottom line, I am old...you are young enough to not be able to even recall 33RPM albums and 45RPM singles. <sigh>
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:15 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
the only rpm i know is the 6600 rpm rev limiter on my car
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:37 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
NC,
Just watched your video and that was a beautiful launch that appeared to have plenty of airspeed! The Electrolyte followed a perfect parabolla as though it was free-flight. I guess the cg was too far forward cause it looked really stable! I set up all my performance models with zero-zero incidence so I doubt that was the problem. With another perfect throw and a better cg location you'll get it on this next try!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:51 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Thanks pdawg.

Lipo's are on the way. I loved the launch too. It was solid and straight.... right before the decaying orbit took hold...
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:40 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
dave, i forgot to tell you that i really liked your finger trigger launch idea....seemed to work awsome. i may have to do that, or start using a simple bungee like the GP little sport jet uses.....
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:44 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
been thinking of what scale subject id like to do a composite fuse for in the micro size.....im thinking A-4......i was thinking skyray at first, but i think a A-4 would be cooler, and we could do little wheels in the wing pods like the alfa......no mor ehand launching! would be sized just a little bigger than the elec...
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:01 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
the only rpm i know is the 6600 rpm rev limiter on my car
6600? Don't those 3 valves turn any higher than that?
My rev limiter is set for 8k on my 4 valve. Of course anything over 7 is making more noise not more power.

gotta love 3,000 pounds, 4:10s and a T-56 wrapped up in a Foxbody.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:36 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
oooh!!!! 4.6 4v swap into a fox!!!! sick!!!! NA or power adder? i had a 87 notch that i swapped a hot 2.3 turbo into...2800 lbs...310 horse. fun car sorry for the off topic post...getting impatient waiting for more media!
Last edited by corsair nut; Jan 09, 2011 at 10:29 PM.