SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:59 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
wait, I don't even know for sure if this is the plane that I have. Was this one ever made and sold by someone or has it always been made by you all with the instructions? Now I am wondering where the heck I got my epp yak...
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:11 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
There are several of us that kit it. Is there a name on the bag?
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:57 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
There are several of us that kit it. Is there a name on the bag?
Mike
Yeah, a picture of the bag would be helpful or a picture of what there is for instructions
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:03 AM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
I am new to foam planes, but am an old balsa scratch builder who got back into the hobby about a year ago after retiring and decided electric was the best option today. I have been intrigued with the foam 3D planes. I have built the Super Slo 28 and others in that series. I have built 2 of the 30" versions of the Yak55 and it is an amazing flyer. The paint schemes are hand painted freehand after drawing the pattern on the foam. The idea was to keep paint (weight) simple and therefore light. Just enough paint to help with orientation when flying. It is easy to build this plane light and it is all but indestructible out of 9mm EPP foam. AUW including battery is 5.8 oz. Thanks Leadfeather for an amazing design.

Tony
leehd03 is offline Find More Posts by leehd03
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:38 AM
United States, MA
Joined Feb 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leehd03 View Post
I have built the Super Slo 28 and others in that series.
Tony
A little more on which ones you built and what you liked or disliked would be appreciated. I have built a version of the LF Yak which is a fantastic plane and the RA Cores version is a great kit! Im now contemplating which of the Slofly SD Park flyers to build (hand cut) as my 2nd plane but cant seem too decide. I have purchased all of the building material and printed, cut, and assembled all of the tiled plans. All of them now hang in my office waiting for me too choose
trumpy959 is offline Find More Posts by trumpy959
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:14 AM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy959 View Post
A little more on which ones you built and what you liked or disliked would be appreciated. I have built a version of the LF Yak which is a fantastic plane and the RA Cores version is a great kit! Im now contemplating which of the Slofly SD Park flyers to build (hand cut) as my 2nd plane but cant seem too decide. I have purchased all of the building material and printed, cut, and assembled all of the tiled plans. All of them now hang in my office waiting for me too choose
The Super Slo 28 is a great plane to fly. I built it in the 22" and 28" and they are both great. The 22" is great for small flying areas. I enjoyed building and painting the warbirds although I put so much detail into the painting that they came out a little on the heavy side. They still fly well, but not so much with the 3D slow flying. I just finished the GeeBee and it came out really light. Can't wait to fly it.
leehd03 is offline Find More Posts by leehd03
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:39 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leehd03 View Post
I am new to foam planes, but am an old balsa scratch builder who got back into the hobby about a year ago after retiring and decided electric was the best option today. I have been intrigued with the foam 3D planes. I have built the Super Slo 28 and others in that series. I have built 2 of the 30" versions of the Yak55 and it is an amazing flyer. The paint schemes are hand painted freehand after drawing the pattern on the foam. The idea was to keep paint (weight) simple and therefore light. Just enough paint to help with orientation when flying. It is easy to build this plane light and it is all but indestructible out of 9mm EPP foam. AUW including battery is 5.8 oz. Thanks Leadfeather for an amazing design.

Tony
Nice looking Yaks Tony. I'm glad you are enjoying this design!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:32 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,568 Posts
So there were a few of us brave souls that got in some indoor flying friday before the blizzard driving ban took effect. The good news was there weren't too many of us so it was a great chance to trim and fly the latest 3mm Depron Yak prototype Wayne built. Here's the video. A little long but I wasn't sure what else to edit out
Pilot/Builder: Wayne Field
Date: February 8, 2013
Weight: 140g without battery
Motor: Turnigy 2204-14T 19g
Prop: 8x4.3 SF
Battery: 2S 450mah
Wayne said it hovered at half throttle. This was the second battery through the plane. Flight times with the 450mah were in the 7-8 minute range
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:18 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
So there were a few of us brave souls that got in some indoor flying friday before the blizzard driving ban took effect. The good news was there weren't too many of us so it was a great chance to trim and fly the latest 3mm Depron Yak prototype Wayne built. Here's the video. A little long but I wasn't sure what else to edit out
Pilot/Builder: Wayne Field
Date: February 8, 2013
Weight: 140g without battery
Motor: Turnigy 2204-14T 19g
Prop: 8x4.3 SF
Battery: 2S 450mah
Wayne said it hovered at half throttle. This was the second battery through the plane. Flight times with the 450mah were in the 7-8 minute range
Wayne has some skills! Great video, thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:10 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Yeah, a picture of the bag would be helpful or a picture of what there is for instructions

Thats just it. No instructions. no info in the bag. I remember buying it knowing that there were videos and specs... online. I just cant seem to figure out what plane I have! Anyway, I am sure it is very similar to the ones you are building. I might as well put the thing together!

Edit... Hummm, I think this might be mine http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1101664
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Last edited by ty_horn; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:32 AM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
878 Posts
Back into foam after a long break. Wow this area of the hobby has grown since the first slofly's. I have built my share of Yak's and I am wondering if their is any other airframes that are popular builds for 3d. Do you guys have any suggestions or is the Yak still the best of the best?
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:22 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
Back into foam after a long break. Wow this area of the hobby has grown since the first slofly's. I have built my share of Yak's and I am wondering if their is any other airframes that are popular builds for 3d. Do you guys have any suggestions or is the Yak still the best of the best?
I'm probably biased but...I don't think you'll find a more forgiving 3D plane anywhere. Very gentle flying characteristics, very easy to hover, yet very 3D capable as you have probably seen from the many videos with some really good pilots.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:26 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
827 Posts
Out of several that I've flown the Yak is the best of the bunch. Both my brother and I have reached that conclusion.
propchief is online now Find More Posts by propchief
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3 Posts
LF Yak and 3dBatix Extra - two great planes.

Though there is no doubt that LF Yak is a great plane, there is another one that might interest you. It's Extra 330 from 3dBatix. I have built both with similar configuration - 6 mm depron, 36 inch WS, Hacker 20-22L, 1045 prop. Both came out almost equal in weight. With my rudimentary 3D skills, I find it very difficult to conclude which one is better. I love both of them.
Here is the link to the discussion on Extra. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=extra+330
Here is the original plan: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892655
Modified plan is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=244

Edit: That Hacker is a clone from HK. But what a fantastic motor!
rajeevmk is offline Find More Posts by rajeevmk
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:39 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
I'm probably biased but...I don't think you'll find a more forgiving 3D plane anywhere. Very gentle flying characteristics, very easy to hover, yet very 3D capable as you have probably seen from the many videos with some really good pilots.
I agree, and as a 3d beginner I can verify it's pretty sturdy when bonking in!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar