HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:01 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Ultracote strength - single sheet or pieces OK?

I'm about to start covering a M60. I'd like to put fore-aft stripes on the bottom for orientation. This is my first real experience with using Ultracote. Do I have to use one continous spanwise sheet and then apply strips of contrasting color over that? Or can I stitch dicrete pieces together with some overlap? Does it matter in terms of strength? TIA

- Felix
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:11 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
You can use seperate pieces; just overlap them about 1/4".

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:46 PM
Hello Moto
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2005
605 Posts
What are you useing for the fuse? Im planning on useing Solartex for my M60 as it compund curves well. But I also found out that Ultra does aswell. Good pick on the Ultra, its the toughest one out there!

Nick
lockheed martin is offline Find More Posts by lockheed martin
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:58 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
It'll probably be easier to just lay a whole sheet at once and then trim stripe as necessary. That's the way I usually do it if I have the materiel. If I'm trying to make it stretch then I would do bits at a time.

Just my .02

IRJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:10 PM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,786 Posts
Use separate pieces like stated in Pete's answer. I find that you get a cleaner look. If you lay a 2nd piece over another it tends to get bubbles in it when you apply the iron or heat gun.

Louie
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:14 PM
just add beer......
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2005
188 Posts
When you guys are talkin' "Ultracote" are you referring to Top Flite Ultracote (aka Heavy Duty Monocote) or Hanger 9 'Ultracote'??

Who's supplying the Hanger 9 Ultracote online? I've found a few places but their stock seems spotty.
malachite is offline Find More Posts by malachite
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:19 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachite
When you guys are talkin' "Ultracote" are you referring to Top Flite Ultracote (aka Heavy Duty Monocote) or Hanger 9 'Ultracote'??

Who's supplying the Hanger 9 Ultracote online? I've found a few places but their stock seems spotty.
Hanger 9 Ultracote. Monokote is a high temp covering...great for open structures but may melt foam when you apply.

As far as strength, I would think that one piece is stronger...how much so and wheter or not it will make a noticeable difference is debatable. I prefer the "Schiess" method . Saves on material and you don't need to worry as much about keeping your covering in a dark over light colors order.
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:29 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
NICE Weasel!

I don't have any personal opinions about the strength issue, but I distinctly recall that my M60 instructions said to use one piece of Ultracote for the wings (i.e., don't cut the covering off the part of the wing that goes into the fuse) in order to retain the strength of the covering. The instructions said that the wings get additional strength from the covering.

I laid down my yellow top and bottom and then added the purple stripes. Beware that if you do this in reverse order, the darker color ultracote will show through the lighter part (i.e., you will see the purple through the yellow).
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:36 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
The overlap is pretty strong if at least 1/4" like Pete said. I also try to wipe down where I'm going to make a seam with alcohol to get off all my finger & hand print mung before ironing the overlap.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:49 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Thanks Dom!

I'd say that if the instructions call for a solid piece, you'd be wise to consider the solid piece.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:55 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
ITL - how heavy did the weasel come out w/ ultracote?
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:13 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroahkni
ITL - how heavy did the weasel come out w/ ultracote?
Under 11.5 ounces...it was about 11 and change right before final balance and took less than 1/4 ounce to get it dialed. I haven't weighed it since it was cg'ed. Has a balsa tail, but it's not exactly a light tail! LOL!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:48 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Another option is to use a single piece of iron-on and then apply trim using sign-writing vinyl or the like.

Anton
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:23 PM
Joined Mar 2005
849 Posts
either way will work really. just stick to the basic rule of thumb, light colors ALWAYS first.

V V
-DoubleV- is offline Find More Posts by -DoubleV-
Old Nov 29, 2005, 09:27 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
The ideal methodology is to use one piece of Ultracote on the top of the wing and one on the bottom of the wing. This will give you the optimum torsional rigidity over EPP for the wing.

The other reason for using one piece is that when using the proper Ultracoat shrinking technique you will allow yourself the ability to modify the shape of the wing with more consistency. i.e. should you want to increase or decrease the dihedral of the wing.

Steven
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus