HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:22 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Question
How to convert pdf to bmp file?

Is there a way to convert a .pdf file to a .bmp file so that I can insert it into a Turbocad program? I have tons of old plans that are all in .pdf files and I would like to convert them so that I can insert them directly into Turbocad. All I have been able to do in the past is to print them, then scan them to a .bmp, then insert them to Turbocad. Surely there is a program out there somewhere that can make this easier.

Thanks
Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:29 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,626 Posts
http://www.bing.com/search?ei=UTF-8&...3F&FROM=AVASDF

Take your pick.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 12, 2014, 02:13 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking for something others are using. I have picked up viruses by downloading software from searching and am a little bit leary of it.

Jim
Old Oct 12, 2014, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Has anyone used this one? http://www.convertyourfile.com
Old Oct 12, 2014, 06:38 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,806 Posts
I use GIMP.
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:18 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm View Post
I use GIMP.
What is GIMP?

Jim
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:23 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,806 Posts
http://www.gimp.org/
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:34 PM
NMPRA 86T
United States, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Jan 2008
179 Posts
I use this online document converter for years now. You can convert from quite a few formats to another one, have it emailed to you or just wait for it and download the completed file. Quite a handy tool for converting files! http://convert.neevia.com/pdfconvert/

Scott Smith
ScorpionRacing is offline Find More Posts by ScorpionRacing
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
21 Posts
The later versions of Turbocad can import PDF files as underlays.
rc_extra230 is offline Find More Posts by rc_extra230
Old Oct 12, 2014, 08:55 PM
JOE MOCERI
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2006
30 Posts
If you have the Paint porgram on your computer you can convert. Go to start, all programs, accessories and if installed will show up there.

Open the PDF file in Adobe. Go up to edit top left side . Click on Take Snapshot. Hover your pointer over the PDF. left click on the PDF plan. The screen will take a picture of it. Screen will turn blue/ brn .Make sure you can view your complete plan prior to taking snap shot. Now go to your Paint program. Hit control and V. This will import the PDF to paint program.

Now to convert to a BMP file. Go to top left of paint screen. Hit file Save as. A drop down will come up as to what you want to save as and a name. Name and save as Bitmap. There are other options to save as if you click on the down arrow button. Hope this helps.
Joe
JMDESIGNS is online now Find More Posts by JMDESIGNS
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:07 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Thanks guys. I was able to use one of the online coversion sites and my plan was converted successfully from pdf to bmp. I inserted it as an object into my Turbocad 20 program with no problems just like all other bmp's I have used in the past. All seemed fine and great. I saved the Turbocad file and exited. Next time I tried to go into the Turbocad file the image was all grayed out. No pretty plan, just a great big ole rectangular gray block. Tried to redo several times with no luck. Tried to save it as a dxf. Same result.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Jim
Old Oct 13, 2014, 02:11 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,899 Posts
You need to go into Tools/Raster Image/ Image Manager and embed the image into the file (At least, that's where I do it in TurbCAD 15 ).

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:40 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
277 Posts
Jim,

I just make a photo copy on 8.5 X 11 and then import that. Works well with little to no distortion. Capt. Dunsel is spot on. You need to embed the image. Lost a bunch of old ones when I changed computers. I usually just trace parts in yellow and leave the plans in black on a layer. After swapping computers, many of the black layers were missing. Only on old plans that I hadn't embedded. I'm going to give Joe's method a shot. I have the paint function.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Found my problem was the conversion programs were saving the file at 24 bit color. I opened the files in paint andthen saved as a 256 color and all worked fine.

Jim