HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:20 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
Build Log
Avro Lancaster BIII (Special)

Hi Everyone,

With the Henschel finished its time to start my next project, as its the 75th anniversary year of Operation Chastise I am going to fulfill my long term ambition of building a Lanc

Since a youngster I have dreamed about building a large scale Lancaster so this is more of a quest for me. Of course this plane has been modelled many times before so its unsual for me as I normally like to pick obscure subjects. So I will make it a little unusual, of course it will drop the upkeep bomb but if I can afford to I intend to put a camera in the bomb aimers position with an FPV headset to give someone the pleasure of aiming the bomb and releasing it!

Anyway on with the show, here are the specs -

Scale - 1/10th
Wing Span - 3.1m (122in)
Dihedral - 5.75'
Incidence - 3.5'
Motors - 4 x 400kv
Props - 4 x 16x10 3 blade
Batteries - 4 x 6s 4000Mah

I downloaded a CAD drawing from the net, which isnt very good, and purchased an excellent Airfix 1/72nd scale Dambusters model.

Wireframe and basic layout is complete but some questions straight away. Wing incidence is incredibly high on the model and on at least one image of a kit plan at over 5.5' I have reduced this a little but any comments? In addition there is positive incidence on the H stab on the same kit plan this is at 2.5' again I have reduced this to 1' as a pure guess but any comments would be appreciated

Havent stated a target weight as I never get it right, construction will be built up balsa with glass fibre mouldings for cowls etc

Fuse will be split in two for ease of transport and the outer wings including outer nacelles will also remove

Batteries will be housed within the nacelles

I reckon I have two months worth of drawing before I can start building, total build time will be 18 months

Any advice, comments are always welcome
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:35 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,577 Posts
Man, is this going to be great or what.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 23, 2013, 02:16 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
Every time I see a big scale model Lancaster I think of building one. Maybe, some day when I am retired, I will build one.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Jun 23, 2013, 03:58 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
391 Posts
Another one to follow...love this plane!
Ducky22 is offline Find More Posts by Ducky22
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:01 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Cool !! I happen to know a dude who flew Lancs..
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:42 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Save some months and do a Nijhuis one
http://www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/Lancaster134.htm
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:55 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,410 Posts
When I start something fairly big, my first consideration is, how do I transport it ?

If you have a limitation on what your car can take, (you mention various splits), then I would recommend designing that into your model right up front.

Also consider just were the batteries, and ESC's will go for reasonably easy access including the access hatches.

One of the modeling 'Laws' is, 'Whatever you make difficult to access, will be the first thing to go wrong when at the field'.

I haven't gone quite that big yet, but here's some pictures of where I have designed splits to aid transport.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 24, 2013, 07:09 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
Thanks eflightray, beautiful models and great ideas, hope you dont go round corners too fast when loaded up!

Quote:
Save some months and do a Nijhuis one
http://www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/Lancaster134.htm
Nah, a good part of the fun for me is the design, spend hours thinking about it as well as drawing which is all part of the recreation to me

Cheers, Ken
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:19 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
So cool! I lurcked around for your fabulous Henschel build and am still overwhelmed by that. Got to follow this one too

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:39 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken View Post
Thanks eflightray, beautiful models and great ideas, hope you dont go round corners too fast when loaded up!

Nah, a good part of the fun for me is the design, spend hours thinking about it as well as drawing which is all part of the recreation to me

Cheers, Ken
Fair enough - can't beat cracking your own difficult nuts I prefer to fly - even though I'm a Design Engineer!
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:38 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
I too will be watching this build very closely! I just saw a Lancaster flying at the Hamilton Air Show on July 15th. It was followed by the only flying Mosquito, a pair of Hurricanes and a Spitfire Mk XIII!! Way cool to see and hear.
The real Lancaster does have an amazing amount of dihedral, some of it appears to be the wings actual build making it look far more than it actually is. The Mosquito is similar, the bottom of the wing tapers quickly from fuse to tip, but that's not the true dihedral.
Some one out there likely has more precise plans or actual Lanc drawings to confirm your build.
The Lancaster is a very impressive plane in the air, unloaded as it flys in airshows, they throw it around like a big fighter!! It appeared that only the mosquito had to fly at reduced power (nose up) to maintain position on the Lanc, the Hurry's and Spit seemed to be working just a little to keep up to the Lanc cruise.
As Dag would say "Rock on". Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:47 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,410 Posts
I can see madken's point of view.

Total scratch building can be a real brain teaser, (and at times totally frustrating), but the sense of achievement on the first successful flight is way beyond what a kit or plan can give.

My B-17 and B-25 were totally scratch built, based on 3-views and plastic models, scaled up to a size I liked and roughly drafted out on paper.

My Sunderland and Spitfire, (Spitfire in the back of the car), were based on existing plans, but built from Depron not the original balsa structures. The enjoyment there came from still needing a lot of thought and designing the structure to suit the material.

The Spitfire is actually based on the Nijhuis balsa and IC powered Spitfire plan, (well it was free in one of the magazines ). I just wanted to prove to myself I could build it lighter in Depron. The magazine article quoted an expected 15Lbs build, mine came out at half the weight including the batteries.
That's where the excitement of scratch building comes from, achieving something no one else has built.

Good luck with the build madken, when, (if ?), I ever have a disaster with the B-17, a Lancaster will replace it. (A scratch built Lancaster ).
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:58 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,145 Posts
Next stage is to start working out the relevant positions of the main components, I really would like to get both 4000Mah Lipo's within the main nacelle so that the loads are directly over the undercarriage rather than having any batteries in the outboard nacelles, it looks tight but the nacelles are quite square in section so it might work.

Scale wheels are closer to 7" shown are 6" which only just fit so I may have something wrong here in terms of the depth of the nacelle, when extended the oleos slant backwards by 5'

Next stage is to position the main tubular spar so its close to the retract so I can transfer loads to it

Question are 4000Mah batteries over the top? do you think 3300Mah would work as there are four engines
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:41 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,410 Posts
I use two 3s 4000mAh packs in my B-17, even with a quite long flight I rarely put as much as 2000mAh back.
One pack powers the inner pair, and one the outer pair of motors.

All my ESC's and batteries are in the fuselage, the wings plug in and then the fun of connecting the 6 ESC connector each side starts . The only other connections are the aileron servos. My retracts are scratch built and operated by torque tube from a central servo.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:44 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,022 Posts

Other folk more knowledgable than I may chime in (please!), but I understand the incidences of wing and horizontal are probably correct. I believe the Lancaster flies with a noticeable nose-down attitude.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce