HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:18 PM
Check your six....
Kalamazoo Kal/Btlcrk, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2001
324 Posts
Discussion
What's up with HK shipping costs?

Not sure what's going on with Hobby King but their US shipping costs seem to be out of control. I just priced the same Zippy Lipo pack shipped from China and the US (see below).
Guess what, it is cheaper to send it to Michigan from half way around the world than from Lakewood US warehouse. Here is the proof:

Zippy 5000 mah 3S1P 20C; International Price $19.39; International Shipping $9.99
Zippy 5000 mah 3S1P 20C; US price $20.89; US Shipping $12.88
twinster2 is offline Find More Posts by twinster2
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:24 PM
I like Runnnnnning
Joined Aug 2012
291 Posts
I know the difference is when you buy in USA delivery takes up to 7 days, And when you buy INTL. it will take 3 weeks
Forrest Gump 23 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest Gump 23
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:27 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,333 Posts
Your paying for the convenience of having it sooner.

They do this because they CAN!
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:31 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,107 Posts
Who was HK?
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:37 PM
I like Runnnnnning
Joined Aug 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Who was HK?
Hobby King
Forrest Gump 23 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest Gump 23
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:50 PM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,570 Posts
Maybe because I ship to Washington state it would be about $8
Anyway it's not HK. For instance, I have bought usb cables from China for.99 with free shipping. China is artificially supporting their growth. Low labour, totally ridiculous shipping. We pay for fuel, labour, and equipment in N America. I don't think they need to do that. They just want to collect US dollars. Money laundering type processes.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Last edited by 4*60; Dec 05, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:09 AM
I = V/R
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Not sure what's going on with Hobby King but their US shipping costs seem to be out of control. I just priced the same Zippy Lipo pack shipped from China and the US (see below).
Guess what, it is cheaper to send it to Michigan from half way around the world than from Lakewood US warehouse. Here is the proof:

Zippy 5000 mah 3S1P 20C; International Price $19.39; International Shipping $9.99
Zippy 5000 mah 3S1P 20C; US price $20.89; US Shipping $12.88
I did this exact same comparison just a few days ago, decided I'll just look elsewhere.

The amount of time I waited before they even shipped my order drove me insane. It's quite ridiculous how they manage their business and they probably won't be getting anymore of my money.

While waiting for my order that I thought would never come, a friend and I came up with this splash screen for my tx. Maybe you'll get a kick out of it

Tw34k is offline Find More Posts by Tw34k
Last edited by Tw34k; Dec 05, 2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:32 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
It looks like they no longer have the option for shipping USPS.

If I remember correctly it's USPS that was the cheap route....
now the only thing available is UPS...which is more expensive.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:34 AM
I = V/R
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
It looks like they no longer have the option for shipping USPS.

If I remember correctly it's USPS that was the cheap route....
now the only thing available is UPS...which is more expensive.
IIRC it may have to do with how much lipo you have in your cart.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:55 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k View Post
IIRC it may have to do with how much lipo you have in your cart.
No. because I tried no lipo at all...same thing.

Their shipping system is probably just a bit screwy...it'll probably come back up later. This happens now and then.

just a few days ago I wanted to buy a charger that was 1030grams and shipping was $9.99....shipped usps. Now with UPS it's $13 and some change. I'm gonna wait till shipping is worked out.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:00 AM
I = V/R
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but surely there has to be a few decent alternatives with comparable selection of parts and the rest?

I love browsing hobbykings site but since my first experience in august I can't bring myself to hit the checkout button again.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:11 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k View Post
I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but surely there has to be a few decent alternatives with comparable selection of parts and the rest?

I love browsing hobbykings site but since my first experience in august I can't bring myself to hit the checkout button again.
plenty of alternatives:

there's a huge selection here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755423

but I personally shop from these guys as much as I can
hobbypartz
nitroplanes
hobby-lobby
headsuprc
and many many others.

but in the end, I end up coming back to HK when those other guys can't or don't have what I need.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:19 AM
I = V/R
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
I've dealt with hobbypartz before, I purchased my 9X from them as well as a few others misc items. I'll give the others a look, Thanks.

Turns out there are two hobby lobby websites, Hobbylobby and Hobby-lobby, I thought something was going on when I have noticed it being mentioned in the RC world a few times but the local 'Hobbylobby.com' retail stores sell nothing close to this kind of thing.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:37 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
I can tell you one thing that's a lead pipe cinch! One reason is that they use shipping as a profit center! I've experienced it at different times and on multiple levels. I could literally write a freakin' book on the things I've found, but I'll give one example here. (BTW, almost my entire career was involved in Materials Management - so by habit I pay attention to 'total acquisition costs'....which includes such things as shipping costs, & the ins-&-outs of that game.)

Had my heart set on a Dynamic-S warmliner. Saw the preliminary 'Review' videos on it & immediately started lusting after it. When it 'hit the stands' I was a li'l short on the money, but had it shortly afterward, so pulled the trigger.

The listed sale price with my 'Platinum' status was something like $119. I also added a couple other small items I needed....they came nowhere near adding to any weight penalty. Once I got to PayPal, WHOA! -- my total was suddenly almost $200!! WTRH?!? I went back & re-figured the order, thinking I must've done something wrong (like adding 10 of those 'small items' or something) -- but nope! Re-checked selected shipping method -- definitely the cheapest indicated. They were charging me like $64 for shipping, FROM THE US WAREHOUSE to eastern NC.

I cancelled the order. At that hour their "Customer Service" (HA!!!!!!!!!) hotline wasn't open, but I did get thru the following day "Large box charge" I was told. [[More on this later]] Told them (based on what I already knew) to Stuff It. Icing on the cake :: next morning I got an e-mail saying I had left items in my Shopping Cart, and needed to immediately come back & complete my order. Yeah -- that's gonna happen!!

Now for the 'More on this later' -- and being the reason after almost an hour of "sorry nothing we can do's" from their (HA!) "customer service", despite all evidence & natural logic to the contrary, that I told them to 'stuff it'. Almost exactly 2 months prior -- during which interval there had been NO freight-rate nor mailing increases, I had ordered a PnP Phoenix 2000. It was a LARGER plane - full 2-meter class vs the Dynamic S's 1.56-meter class -- think 'bigger box' -- and the Phoenix weighs a full kilogram (2.68 lbs) MORE!
SHIPPING ON THE PHOENIX FROM THE SAME USA WAREHOUSE WAS ONLY $17!!!

"Big box charge" my big hairy butt! They JACKED UP the shipping charge to cover the sale price difference, and more!

I TOLD them of the disparity - even had them look up the previous order for the Phoenix so they could see the $17 shipping, as proof I wasn't yankin' their chain. "Sorry, nothing we can do. You want send payment now?" Yeah - that's happenin'! Told 'em "Hold on, I'll be right back"........*click*

There's more - MUCH more I could add.....but that's enough for now. BTW - haven't ordered a single plane from 'em since, & if it's within my power, based on this & other experiences, won't ever again. And ANY reasonably-priced alternative to ANY item they sell, gets my business. I'm just that way.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:31 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,102 Posts
I have noticed the shipping issues too. I was also going to buy the Dynamic S from them but shipping made it too much. So I went to Tower Hobbies and bought the ST models Blaze(same thing as Dynamic S) for $129 shipped free. Tower has become more of my go to online shop for rc. I even joined their club and now get extra incentives. To boot they have great customer service.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers