SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, CO, Silverthorne
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Discussion
Trashed my gaui 500x.. What other frames?

Just yesterday I had the misadventure of wanting to fly so bad that I didn't let the loctite dry on a shaft spindle. The prop came just loose enough to slip off but not all the way and crash to the ground with my go pro on top. I managed to snap shafts on 2 motors (luckily not Scorps) and a third seems ok but who knows, dinged an arm, not bad can be straightened or just bought all new. Electronics are intact.

So now I'm looking at new motors and really a new frame. The gaui 500x frame I'm not too happy with from an AP standpoint. I had to use the wrist strap from my go pro and extension arms to really just slap the sucker on there since the payload platform cant clear the naza.

So..

Here's my question.. What other frames are out there in terms of aerial photo/video? I'm considering a DJI setup for next year so this platform would be to play with in the mean time and get a hang for it, aka cheap. The platform I want should be able to do the following:

Work at higher altitudes. Yes this seems dumb and unrelated as it has to do with props and motors but I'll be running this at 9,000-12,000 ft pretty easily. The air density is ~.9 (vs 1.2 for sea level) and about 3/4 of the lifting capacity off the bat.

Lift a go pro hero 2, maybe a nex5/7 with a gimbal and a video link (transmitter with 3s 500Mah battery, the hobby king 5.8Ghz). I'm liking the idea of a gimbal and camera on the bottom but I've been falling slowly in love with FPV.

Have 4-8 rotors. Forgot what the max is for the Naza but I'm thinking 6-8 rotors will be more stable and a larger frame helps fight the wind and provide some redundancy.

Something I can fold and throw in the car. I don't want to have to put it in a case or have it awkward to try and put in the back seat of lets say an F150.

Some sort of power distribution that can provide power without routing wire everywhere. I'm not totally against a frame with none but would be nice to unclutter.

What I've found that I like but haven't researched a whole lot:

http://www.dronesvision.com/team-bla...opter-arf-kit/ <--- I'm actually really digging the design of this frame even though it looks like it doesn't support a gimbal and not much in the way of expansion.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_550mm.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_550mm.html

Kind of like the Xaircraft frames but dont know too much about em.
TZZDC1241 is offline Find More Posts by TZZDC1241
Last edited by TZZDC1241; Oct 05, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts