HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
71 Posts
Question
Taking Off/Landing on Dirt Baseball Diamond

I've been taking off and landing my older plane on a dirt baseball diamond. Is it possible for the dirt to get sucked into the inside of the plane or the motor and mess something up? I havn't had any problems so far, but I just want to make sure before I use my nicer plane on dirt.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, has anyone here flown their planes on a football field? If so, do the goal posts get in the way?
ClevelandBaller is offline Find More Posts by ClevelandBaller
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
Yes I fly Large Electric airplanes 6lb or more from a compact dirt runway without any problems. If I crash nose first or nose over the airplane during a landing I would blow it out with compress PC keyboard cleaner air and if required disassemble the motor and clean it out more. Also lube the bearings.
Yes I have flow from football fields. Just avoid flying into the goal posts.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyingguy View Post
Yes I fly Large Electric airplanes 6lb or more from a compact dirt runway without any problems. If I crash nose first or nose over the airplane during a landing I would blow it out with compress PC keyboard cleaner air and if required disassemble the motor and clean it out more. Also lube the bearings.
Yes I have flow from football fields. Just avoid flying into the goal posts.
Ok thanks!
ClevelandBaller is offline Find More Posts by ClevelandBaller
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,410 Posts
Flying can be carried out in most places, even on a beach, (sand and salt ), but there is always a risk.

As for goal posts, flood lighting towers, trees, bushes, even the ground itself, can occasionally move when you least expect it, and generally right in front of you model. They like to play games with us.

Nice new models always fly better after they have a few dings, dents, scratches etc, It's just something we get used to, (or give up and assemble plastic kits and keep them in display cases).

Enjoy flying.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:54 PM
USA, NJ, South Plainfield
Joined Sep 2008
134 Posts
I take off and land from an infield alot, only problem I ever had was a retract get jammed with loose dirt, just landed gear up in the grass. Cleaned it out later that day and haven't had a problem with it since.
jughandle is online now Find More Posts by jughandle
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:28 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,089 Posts
Infields work well for taking off. They are especially suitable in the sports off season when they are not being groomed regularly and have a chance to harden. This greatly reduces the amount of loose material that can be attracted into a motor.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest