SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:51 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,225 Posts
Discussion
Next UltraMicro after Champ

What would be next BNF UltraMicro plane to fly, after learning on Champ? I have DX6i.

Should be able to handle some wind. I like UM PoleCat, T-28, Corsair, UMX Gee Bee R2.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
Zephyrhills,FL
Joined Jan 2002
42 Posts
T-28 hands down...I love mine, great intro to a 4ch UM
Automag928 is offline Find More Posts by Automag928
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
What would be next BNF UltraMicro plane to fly, after learning on Champ? I have DX6i.

Should be able to handle some wind. I like UM PoleCat, T-28, Corsair, UMX Gee Bee R2.
UM P-51, or if you don't like the style of it, T-28. That is how I progressed and it worked very well.
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
My Champ makes birds mad.
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
I just bought a UM P-51 after flying the Champ for a full year. I had been planning on a UM T-28, as many people recommended, but when I got to the hobbyshop, they had just sold the last one. So I got the P-51. First flight, I crashed and broke off the tail (my fault) and after fixing it with foam-safe CA and tape, it still flies good. SO go with either P-51 or T-28. Both are good.
Champflyr is offline Find More Posts by Champflyr
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,965 Posts
I've had a couple of UM P-51s, a UM T-28 and the UM-Corsair. I'd rate the T-28 first and the P-51 a close second. I'd wait 'til later on the Corsair. Enjoy!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:20 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
to me the P-51 is a little lower profile...and faster
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:57 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
T-28. The "T" means just as much for the UM as it did for the full-scale.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
burn the envelope dont push it
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
T-28 is the best Ultra Micro trainer, but the P-51 would work also. The Polecat is a great plane, but it's fast and responsive and I can see it getting out of hand really quick if you've only flown the Champ. Once you can handle the T-28 or P-51 you'll be fine, and I highly recommend getting the Polecat.
pkznpilot is offline Find More Posts by pkznpilot
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:34 AM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
633 Posts
I was in the same place as you a few months back, starting from the Champ.

I own the PZUM T-28 and it is a wonderful little plane, especially if you get 1S batteries with a higher C-rating than stock and a few 250mah-sized lipos for a bit more wind tolerance. It is a great step up from the Champ as a 4ch trainer.

Thing is, your Champ will handle winds better than anything you listed other than the UMX GeeBee, which weighs 3X what the others do and is 2S to their 1S. These get into the parkflyer-ish space requirements, too, due to their speed.

Frankly, the only UMs that are much better than your Champ in the wind are in the 2S class, much faster than the Champ, some of which now come with that gyro/stab tech from Eflite.

I think the only 1S UMs that might have a chance of being as good or better than the Champ are maybe the PZUM Polecat or Sukhoi...which are not known as good 4ch trainers.

Are you flying UMs due to severe flight space restriction? If you have more wiggle room, you may want to move up to a parkflyer-sized plane like the PZ T-28, which is almost universally acclaimed as a great 4ch trainer. They will cost more to fly, but so will all the zippy 2S ultra-micro-ish planes that are coming out.

Good luck.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster