SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
living the dream
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2011
369 Posts
Help!
Need Help programming Hitec X4 AC/DC charger

I just purchased the X4 AC/DC charger after using an Onyx 235 for about 9 mos. I charge mostly 2S and 3S Lipos ranging from 2100 mah to 5000mah. Longer charging times based on wattage available isn't so much of an issue since I can chg 4 batts at once.

I am befuddled by the programmable memory slots. I suppose I can just enter the data in each time I want to charge but it would be nice to have slots 1-3 be the same on each port for my regularly used batts. I prefer to balance charge every time and purchased extra balance plates for that reason. Is there a way to save a balance charge program rather than just a charge program in the memory slots. I go through the steps and it seems to not save the balancing mode preference.

I read the step by step process on the thread "Hitec X4 for dummies" and I am not sure why I need to use dischg/chg since the packs have either been charged for storage or used in flight. Clearly I am not getting it. Also when setting max amperage, is that for each time I am charging a different battery ie don't go above 3300mah on my 3300mah batt? If left at that setting and I charge a 5000mah batt will it stop charging at 3300?

I am able to figure out how to store (save and load) a battery but not to have it save as a balance charge.

Thanks for the help!
scphoto is offline Find More Posts by scphoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scphoto View Post
I am befuddled by the programmable memory slots. I suppose I can just enter the data in each time I want to charge but it would be nice to have slots 1-3 be the same on each port for my regularly used batts. I prefer to balance charge every time and purchased extra balance plates for that reason. Is there a way to save a balance charge program rather than just a charge program in the memory slots. I go through the steps and it seems to not save the balancing mode preference.
You've discovered one of the only (in my opinion) real blunders Hitec made with this series of chargers: The default LiPo mode is the standard non-balancing mode and there's no way to override it that sticks. As far as I'm concerned the default mode should be balance mode and I can't even begin to imagine why it's not. Another blunder is the poorly implemented memory function, but I no longer even bother trying to use it so it doesn't bug me anymore.

On the bright side, the chargers do remember the last battery type, charge current, and cell count you program for each mode on each channel so it's quite possible to set up specific channels for your most common battery packs. That's actually how I usually use my X4. The only thing I have to remember to do is punch the INC. button on each channel once to put them into Balance mode before I use 'em.

Actually, each channel will remain in balance mode until you change it or power down the charger. If you power it down it will default back to standard charge mode on all channels when you turn it back on but the battery type, charge current, and cell count for each channel will all still be set to the last used settings.

I don't really consider these things defects, per se. They're more like idiosyncrasies to me and now that I've accepted them and become accustomed to 'em they're just not a big deal anymore.

I suppose I should add that I don't have an X4 AC Plus. I have an X2 and an X4, but the programming and menu system on those is identical to the X4 AC Plus.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:32 AM
living the dream
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post
You've discovered one of the only (in my opinion) real blunders Hitec made with this series of chargers: The default LiPo mode is the standard non-balancing mode and there's no way to override it that sticks. As far as I'm concerned the default mode should be balance mode and I can't even begin to imagine why it's not. Another blunder is the poorly implemented memory function, but I no longer even bother trying to use it so it doesn't bug me anymore.

On the bright side, the chargers do remember the last battery type, charge current, and cell count you program for each mode on each channel so it's quite possible to set up specific channels for your most common battery packs. That's actually how I usually use my X4. The only thing I have to remember to do is punch the INC. button on each channel once to put them into Balance mode before I use 'em.

Actually, each channel will remain in balance mode until you change it or power down the charger. If you power it down it will default back to standard charge mode on all channels when you turn it back on but the battery type, charge current, and cell count for each channel will all still be set to the last used settings.

I don't really consider these things defects, per se. They're more like idiosyncrasies to me and now that I've accepted them and become accustomed to 'em they're just not a big deal anymore.

I suppose I should add that I don't have an X4 AC Plus. I have an X2 and an X4, but the programming and menu system on those is identical to the X4 AC Plus.

Pete
Thanks for your reply Pete. Took me 3 days of punching buttons and re-reading the manual to get to the same place. Seems like there should be an easier way but engineers don't think the same way users do.

Best,

Steve
scphoto is offline Find More Posts by scphoto
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:07 AM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
718 Posts
...well...I have this charger...and I'd like to assume I'm of at least average intelligence.... :roll eyes: ...
I have read the instructions, and really...the only way I've managed to get started is by "punching buttons".....after a series of trials....i have noticed some patterns, and figured out how to charge a pack....i am not yet able to repeat the process precisely..but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon.....
Are any of you fellows aware of a "video" that would show some quick steps....on the functionality....I will still continue to "punch buttons".....i can see how folks get pretty frustrated with this charger....is it me?....or do you think they could have made the instructions more clear?....AND including a link to a tube video would sure be helpful....
Ralph Matile
rpm3 is offline Find More Posts by rpm3
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
718 Posts
Charger is working well...I COULD NOT tell someone how to use it..but..i love the thing.....perfect for my flying!
Ralph Matile
rpm3 is offline Find More Posts by rpm3