SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2011, 04:27 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Poll
OrangeRX recievers...would you put them in your favorite plane?

This is just for people that have actually used the receivers...if you haven't please don't reply.
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 08:58 PM
RC = Empty wallet
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2005
356 Posts
I have one w/o the satellite, currently using it in a 3d foamy/parkflier. Don't really trust it in anything bigger or a model worth more $$. As for the poll: No
InvalidUsername is offline Find More Posts by InvalidUsername
Old May 12, 2011, 09:01 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,850 Posts
I would and have.

I have Orange's in my new scratch built 105" old timer, scratch built .56 powered Dr-1 triplane, .56 powered Sig Ultimate bipe, 1.08 Lazer, Menace and lil' Rippy .32 size fun fly's. I also have the 6 channel 6110 HK clone in another 11 planes and gliders.

I have 10 more Oranges and 3 of the new 9ch Oranges on order. I get better performance from them than the name brand Spek receivers and have had one that didn't work 100% out of all the ones I've ordered which is easily 50. The one bad one had a bad solder joint on the elevator channel.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old May 12, 2011, 09:19 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I have yet to use the one that you can hook up a satellite but I'd definitly test them in a cheap plane first. Most of them are park Recievers. Plus they don't have long sheilded antennas so you gotta make sure you put the antennas away from wires and stuff. Today I helped test fly a Nitro to electric conversion 53" Cap 231. The guy had an AR6100 in it. He had it close to the battery and on plane with a bunch of wires. About 200' away from me I lost connection for about 4 seconds. I tried to roll and NOTHING. I ran towards it holding his Tx over my head and regained lock. So before anyone blames anything on clone Rx, remember you still have to practice good antenna placement.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old May 13, 2011, 10:31 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,850 Posts
Melnic, the Orange 6ch with satellite is not a "park" receiver. It is full range plus secondary antennae so it is every bit as full range as any other receiver.

The 6ch HK w/o satellite is also a full range receiver but without the redundancy of the satellite.

Instalation is important for any receiver to work correctly.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Melnic, the Orange 6ch with satellite is not a "park" receiver. It is full range plus secondary antennae so it is every bit as full range as any other receiver.

The 6ch HK w/o satellite is also a full range receiver but without the redundancy of the satellite.

Instalation is important for any receiver to work correctly.
REALLY? I was wondering about that. I"ll have to test it further out.

I flew 2 orangeRx (orange case w/ satellite connectors) without the satellites today in foamies. All was well but they are small foamies that I did not fly more than 200' out.

Locating the antennas in the right place seems to be the kicker. I really think that's one thing Futaba does better with all their RXs having the longer sheilded antenna lines out.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:33 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,850 Posts
I've taken my 105" old timer with the Orange and satellite to a speck, maybe 1500 to 2000ft and my Tower Vista EP 80" glider with the 6ch no satellite even higher. Just to test With the glider up at what looked like 800 ft or so I pushe the bind button and has control, took it up to about 1000 and lost it shortly there after, it rebound as soon as I let off the button, excellent range check in the air. I get about 45 paces on the ground with both the Orange and the non satellite one.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I"m more worried about ground distance than vertical. I can't go much more than 800' anyway. The closer you get to the ground, the weaker the signal gets. But 1500' upwards is great. My buddy and I are discussing putting multiple RX's bound to a single Radio onto a PVC pole then walking way into the flying area to look for drop outs. As if we don't have enough things we want to do at the field. Maybe if it's really windy
Old May 14, 2011, 01:39 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Don't try to use other people as a guinia pig.

Try it yourself and find out.

I used Orange Futaba clone with no problem.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 14, 2011, 03:14 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post

With satellite the Orange 6 appears to do pretty well as a full range receiver. It has good diversity with two well separated receiver units.

However, without satellite it must be treated as a park flier type receiver since it lacks any signal diversity and is just as subject to shadowing and other types of signal loss as, say, an AR6100. Simple range tests alone do not establish that a receiver can be considered full range. The safe, usable flying range is not the same thing as range measured with receiver and transmitter antennas in favorable orientations and without any shadowing.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 14, 2011, 03:22 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
I cannot wait to take my $2,000 dollar sailplane and put in a 7 dollar receiver!!! The corollary to this is - where can I get
the cheapest batteries to put in it?

Chain - only as strong as the weakest link -

But...to each their own.

Be sure to get videos.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old May 16, 2011, 09:09 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,850 Posts
After crashing my T550 and almost crashing my H9 .60 size P-47 this weekend due to lost reception between my new X9503 and the AR6200's in both I have more trust in the $7 receivers than my $550 JR X9503...
Old May 16, 2011, 02:46 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I had a failed antenna to RF board connection (I think I did) and sent in my Tx for repair so even my AR6200 failed at 100'. Funny thing is that I had a bind plug pressed range test of almost paces with that Rx of almost 150'. Range test meant nothing when my signal became intermittant depending on the connection in the joint. At first, I blamed the clone RXs that caused the crashes during range testing on my cheap plane (3 crashes and about $2 in damage). Then it caused $80 in parts on my 500 heli.
I then went back to the drawing board on all my clone Rx testing. Its not always the RX

Incindently. My buddy had an Orange RX futaba lock up on him on takeoff a month ago. The antennas ripped off during the crash so he gave me the Rx housing with board (no antennas) if anyone wants me to mail it to them.
Old May 16, 2011, 03:52 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Yes, I have an Orange RX in my Parkzone P-47, and have had no issues with it. I also have one in a Radian. I'd put one in the Radian Pro if they made a 7-channel version, but had to spring for a AR7010 in order to get full-span ailerons.

In the Radian, I lost control for a bit when I had it far away from me, but later figured out that I probably had the tx antenna pointed directly at the Radian. It is a DX4e I am using with it, so that my girl can fly while I am flying my Radian. The DX4e has a straight, non-hinged antenna so it is easy to point the antenna at the rx. On my ither tx'es, I point the antenna off to the side so it is always side-on to the rx.

I've since put Orange satellites on all of my compatible rx's, to give some redundancy.
VaderSS is offline Find More Posts by VaderSS