SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
507 Posts
This is taken at the Canadian National Championship on Lake Ontario at Kingston with winds up to 50 kts.

http://www.ibextrax.com/rc/Sail/20120907CanR1/52s.jpg

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
awesome pic looks more like a Volvo open ocean race
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:37 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,926 Posts
Reminds me of this vid:
Stormy RC Sailboat Race at IOM Championship (Germany 2008) (1 min 36 sec)
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Boy that one boat was going down wind like a run-a-way freight train - loved the submarine action! 50 knots of wind! Man that is amazing!

I think the most I've experienced is 20- 25 mph - can't image 50 knots (that is 57.5 mph!) Holy moly! I wouldn't try that in a full size boat!
Great stuff!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:02 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
This is taken at the Canadian National Championship on Lake Ontario at Kingston with winds up to 50 kts.

http://www.ibextrax.com/rc/Sail/20120907CanR1/52s.jpg

John
I would love to try sailing in stuff like that.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,003 Posts
In contrast to that, the Indianapolis Admirals held a monthly regatta yesterday. Our average wind speed was 2.2 mph! It was a little slow to put it mildly. Made for some great photos though. So, they are presented here.

This was during our One Design class which is the Victor V-32. Really a great class because it is affordable, super fair to all and you can either make or buy your V-32 as a ready-to-run direct from Victor Models. And, the colors really attract spectators. Can't beat real wood decks too. These sailboats are just great all around ones to have.

Our club has about 20-25 V-32's in it. But, there was another event going on at the same time at a local state park with the DNR, so a lot of guys were there doing that with scale boats and fast electrics.

www.IndyAdmirals.org

www.facebook.com/indyadmirals
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Last edited by HelloScott; Sep 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
508 Posts
Reminds me of some of our races a nice gentle wind blowing untill the starting bell goes off and it seems that the wind stops at the same time. So there we all are on the starting line looking for a puff of wind to cross the line. Its quite a sight to see eight one meters crowding a ten foot starting line hoping to get a puff of wind to get a jump on the other boats.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Great pictures.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,054 Posts
I go sailing my Voyager a lot, but I don't often bring my camera, too much hassle...
When you meet a colleage with a Canon EOS 50D with a large telephoto lens at the waterfront, it's easy to ask for some pictures to be taken:

This stretch of canal lies between buildings and trees and is only navigable with the wind from the north or the south, leaving town downwind is easy, tacking back home took me more than an hour:

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts

Yesterday during the 36R freesail heats on Spreckels Lake
in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Just viewed this video on the Mirco Magic thread and thought it should be shared over here as well. Captures a bit of the serenity RC sailing offers. Lovely setting for sure!!
Thanks to "arthur0903" for posting it and Sam for the camera work!

Boomer

Micro Magic 望龍埤 (2 min 16 sec)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:41 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
508 Posts
Looks like a great sailing pond. You are right Boomer about the calming effects of casual sailing. Three or four boats just sailing with no course in mind and you can forget about the troubles of the world for awhile. Very relaxing and calming to the soul.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
288 Posts
Glenmore Reservoir, Calgary Alberta

Follow us at www.facebook.com/calgarymodelsailingassociation
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
Last edited by A.B.; Sep 20, 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor View Post
Looks like a great sailing pond. You are right Boomer about the calming effects of casual sailing. Three or four boats just sailing with no course in mind and you can forget about the troubles of the world for awhile. Very relaxing and calming to the soul.
Don't ya know it? just messing around a bit.. Heck.. even the building is relaxing. it was the entire reason of existence of the little ace sloop conversion build... no real class to use it to race with. Just a little fun sailer, mostly used to have something to do with my hands and mind at night after work. still gotta work out some rudder issues, but over all, it's ready for the pond. But its been a joy just building it with no time frame or purpose in mind.
the round ranger is coming along. But its a purpose built racer because the club is race focused. The Brewery is even sponsoring that boat

And really, the racing is fun, it's relaxing.and it gives purpose, but sometimes you don't want to trape up and down the bank in silence except to announce intent to tack, or to fuss about class and regatta rules. Just break out a folding chair and mess about. If a random passerby starts observing and talking to you, hand over the controller and talk them through it.

the next boat... after the race boat will be an up scale of a Midwest Chesapeake flattie with a gaft rig, mostly just to learn how to make a gaft rig. and.. something to mess around with at night, after work.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
bgnome - we need pictures! Post um when you get some!!