HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:58 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
That sounds ugly my friend, I would be putting my stuff away and looking for some witch doc to remove the curse at that field.
MY EX MUST BE CLOSE

IT WAS AN UGLY DAY
large 100cc mustang was getting hits on 2.4... uncommanded ailerons and elevator.. 1 gear wouldn't come down on emergency landing, then 1-2 ft from ground she rolled a wingtip in the ground... repairable.
PTS mustang flying along went into a spin for unknown reason, possible hit on 2.4 or RX battery.
Edge, show off, winds 25-35... attempted hover (no ground roll) to land, cross gust had different idea.
Trainer, too much wind, should not have been up... not enough experience....for this wind

I actually got it to act up without it being running when I got home... when I moved the TX around near the plane the Thr and Rud would bounce... I thought maybe TX problem.. went to another plane that uses same TX, it is rock solid... i thought maybe onboard glow, tried with it disabled and battery removed, still there...

well, I changed out the Futaba to JR... I got too dang many Futaba RX and not enough JR's (only had a 6ch RX, need 7)... if anyone has Hitec "freedom" shift select or JR 7-9 ch RX for sale let me know...

it's acting right for now, I will run for vibration check later tonight or tomorrow...
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Last edited by mt_flyer; Aug 06, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:11 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
well, I changed out the Futaba to JR... I got too dang many Futaba RX and not enough JR's (only had a 6ch RX, need 7)... if anyone has Hitec "freedom" shift select or JR 7-9 ch RX for sale let me know...

it's acting right for now, I will run for vibration check later tonight or tomorrow...
If this is 72Mhz, I have seen this with a Futaba, thought we had disrupted an Indian Burial site or something.

Turns out, Daryl had replaced an antenna on the transmitter, when he screwed it in, the wire inside the radio turned loose. Opened the case, tighened the wire and it has been fine since.

If It is 2.4 I got nothing.

Those 2.4 hits look like battery brown outs we seen at the field
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Aug 06, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:34 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
If this is 72Mhz, I have seen this with a Futaba, thought we had disrupted an Indian Burial site or something.

Turns out, Daryl had replaced an antenna on the transmitter, when he screwed it in, the wire inside the radio turned loose. Opened the case, tighened the wire and it has been fine since.

If It is 2.4 I got nothing.

Those 2.4 hits look like battery brown outs we seen at the field
I will check for this, It is Futaba 72, I have flown this radio for a long time, lots of RV miles on it. something may have shaken loose.

not sure what happened on the 2.4's today...most are running 6v or 123's
maybe something from the AFB, we are only about 1500 feet off centerline, a mile from of the main runway.
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:40 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,331 Posts
Quote:
I will check for this, It is Futaba 72, I have flown this radio for a long time, lots of RV miles on it. something may have shaken loose.

not sure what happened on the 2.4's today...most are running 6v or 123's
maybe something from the AFB, we are only about 1500 feet off centerline, a mile from of the main runway.
It was funny, with the TX laying in one spot on the bench, he walked his plane around and in the one spot it would glitch with out issues, hense the burial ground comment.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:06 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
What a day at the field.... lost 2 mustangs, and Edge, and a trainer...
my UCD is suffering some kind on interference... uncommanded throttle....tried a new rx still there.. next will try a servo.. I guess I can mix digitals and an analog for throttle??
if I hold the sticks in some other positition other than neutral the problem goes away..
  1. Could be the transmitter, can you try a different one? I had one that was doing strange things and the pot was bad.
  2. What is the Receiver?
  3. How is the battery condition?
  4. Have you changed anything in the plane?
  5. Is the servo still connected to the receiver well?
  6. Is any extension still connected well?
  7. Any metal-to-metal contact? Throttle rod?
  8. Is the servo or servo mount loose?
  9. You can mix digitals and analog as long as the receiver is not in digital mode.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,331 Posts
I ordered the G5.5 upgrade today, how many have that version?
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:44 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,548 Posts
Got to maiden my StevensAero Edge 540 with a 50"ws on a 2814/8 motor and a 3s2200mah 30C battery! Flew ok but I think the thrust line is off; had a hard time flying level; CG checks out fine; reduced low rates on elevators and tried again; similar problem. Plans call for up and right thrust; had to add 5 clicks of up elevator to fly straight and level; when I chop the power on approach, the plane noses up and won't settle in; I have to give down elevator; going to check against the plans tonight and make sure I didn't mess up something. Can't wait to get this thing dialed in; it built so light - 30oz AUW! I'll post pics once I finish some pin striping details. Had a little trouble with covering the cowl; got some bubbles that I can't get rid of. Need to get this done so I can start working on my 3DHS 46" Vyper! Got it unpacked and can't wait to put it together - it looks like an awesome airframe. This one plane has me sold on 3DHS for all future airframes!
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:58 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Got to maiden my StevensAero Edge 540 with a 50"ws on a 2814/8 motor and a 3s2200mah 30C battery! Flew ok but I think the thrust line is off; had a hard time flying level; CG checks out fine; reduced low rates on elevators and tried again; similar problem. Plans call for up and right thrust; had to add 5 clicks of up elevator to fly straight and level; when I chop the power on approach, the plane noses up and won't settle in; I have to give down elevator; -Mike
I have never seen a plane ask for up and right, normally down and right. Rising when you chop the power would indicate the motor has down thrust against the thrust line. Maybe a wing incidence issue?
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Aug 07, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:44 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,591 Posts
I bought some fuel today but no local hobby shp has plane fuel anymore.

I would have to drive about 1 hour or more to go get it now

So I bought 20% car fuel and added regular castrol 2 stroke oil for weedeater and chainsaws into the gallon of car fuel.

Added about 2 ounces, like two shots of booze at a bar sized.

Not yet tried the 61 and ucando combo to see if this will be a fix.

will also if need be take off that horrable engine cover on the ucando

I hate the glow plug under the plane like the inverted engine is set up
That engine cover can't do anything but is rather for looks?

My next possable project is the twist 40 fpv with floats
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:34 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,331 Posts
One of our local club guys has a UCanDo with a Saito 100. The way the fuel tank is placed in the plane, it just constantly is filling the cylinder with fuel, it wont run right, it has been ugly. Anyone fight this battle? He is thinking he will need to buy a regulator for it to sort this out.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:56 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I have a UCD with Saito 100 mounted inverted, std fuel tank, no issues, runs great.

I decided to replace the OS AX 55 in my Tweplica with a used Saito 82. (Nate, I put your former 72 in my Lamyak profile.) I am switching all my planes to Saito 4S power. What I thought would be a bolt in replacement because the bolt pattern is the same wasn't. The Saito has the carb in the back and the motor mount wasn't long enough. So I had to put a new motor mount in. You know how that goes. And the throttle cable had to be relocated. What I thought would take an hour probably took 4 hours. I still have some work to do on the throttle.

Can someone remind me again what the preferred CG is on the Twist. I'd like to know the rear limit as well as the "recommended" CG for good 3D performance. Thanks!
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:19 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I have a UCD with Saito 100 mounted inverted, std fuel tank, no issues, runs great.
Are you running a reg or pumper? The break in needle setting are just filling the motor with fuel.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:43 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,073 Posts
Wow Joe... I see you like lots of power too
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:11 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I figure an 82 can't hurt on the Twist, if in fact the used 82 is any good, don't know that yet. The LamYak needed a motor and is a little lighter than the Twist, so I put the 72 on that.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:16 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Mike the BoneDoc has a video on landing 3D planes. He says less elev more throttle when you want your wheels to touch the runway. Another guy mixes 3% down elev with low throttle. That is how they reccomend landing a tailheavy 3D plane.

Well I'm hoping to go flying laters today though all I've got running is is my tigermoth 400. I've been so busy with the grandboys I havn't had a chance to repair my MX's motor box. I bought a 110cc mini Quad for my 12 year old grandson for 200 dollars and we spent the day working on it an riding it, Once again I was out past midnight.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50