HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:13 PM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Jun 2009
614 Posts
Discussion
paint jobs!

how much weight do you guys normally put on when you paint your foamies?

i just sprayed wbpu with some baby powder mixed in onto my f-18 and it added 1.9 oz to the weight (from 11 up to 12.9 that is without motor prop and battery)

it was a hefty coat of wbpu and it will only need the one as it is nice and smooth after a bit of sponge sanding. so im hoping to shed a bit of weight that way.

but what do you guys normally average on a paint job?

if you can break it down that would be a plus too.

like wieght in wbpu

then the weight of the paint

and if you do it the weight of the top coat.

would be much apreciated so i can get an idea of what i should be at. thanks aton
trevjonez is offline Find More Posts by trevjonez
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:06 AM
Quebec, Canada
Joined Aug 2006
172 Posts
Hi trev,
i've found that it is the wbpu that adds the weight. paint added with an airbrush can be as little as .1 oz, but then again that depends on the coverage.because of this my paint scheme has gone from extravagant to functional- wing tips and vstab for visibility. If you must go the direction of scale, then you may need to plan for this by having the appropriate power system(watts / lb). I think your number is typical so far, though i've been able to add more than 4 oz to a plane with paint- needless to say it did not fly very well. Sorry that i do not have empirical data, since the paint weight of the paint would have to be given as a function of the surface area of the plane, and usually only the wing area is taken.So,the only useful advice i can give would be to use the paint sparingly, a plane that's too heavy for its power system is not fun.

Wb
windbender is offline Find More Posts by windbender
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:12 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Paper coat ( partially doubled ) 30 ..35 gram including color which is about 6 to 7 % from AUW)
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:20 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
I watch closely how many times I fill a 10ml cup. Large planes might get 1/2 oz. Small one's get 1/10 to 1/3 oz.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:16 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
We always try to add as little weight as possible with paint ... Shaker can spit bombs turned out to apply TOO MUCH paint ... brushing thin looked like ... airbrush was the way to go adding <1/2 oz. on 36" sized plane ... Sharpie is still lighter , just not as pretty ...

WBPU ... why ???
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:34 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
I like the H2o brand of latex bombs. If you spray two to three very lite coats and let them dry in between. Comes out very even , smooth and very lite wt.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:06 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I use Sharpie markers.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Sep 04, 2009, 09:15 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,605 Posts
I have been using acrylic for a while now, and I think it is probably the best option for foam. I would estimate that it adds less than 1/2 oz. to an average plane. I use an airbrush to apply it.
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:10 AM
Joined Jun 2009
614 Posts
anybody use water based poly urethane (WBPU)? wehn i sprayed it on my f-18 it added almost 2 ounces to the over all weight of the plane. and it seems like alot of weight for as poor of coverage as it gets.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:31 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
WBPU is for Furniture !!!! Not planes !!!
Old Sep 04, 2009, 06:30 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,525 Posts
I use acrylic paints on all my foamies.

Generaly i dilute the paint with 50% water.
For a big area i use a small Roll painter and for details or small area i use a spraygun or paintbrush.

On my Alphajet, Cap 232 and F-14, the weight increased of about 10 to 15 g.
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Old Sep 05, 2009, 12:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
614 Posts
yea well i ended up heavyer than i would have liked on my f-18 rtf is 20.4oz that is with a turnigy 1600mah battery. so paint, glass and decals ended up at about 2.4 oz not too bad for how much area there was i guess but still with it was 18 or under.... trying a new glue on the 2nd jetset f-22 im building going to glass and paint it but not put on the thrust vectoring as i did on this one and felt i didn't really care for it. (im still new to this stuff).

i will try a roller as dreamcatcher mentioned that sounds like a really good idea
Old Sep 05, 2009, 07:58 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
WBPU is for Furniture !!!! Not planes !!!
But if you are going for a scale look, it is good stuff, just need to make sure you cut it back as much as possible to find the right balance between smoothness/foam protection so you can use just about any type of paint but without adding too much weight. I guess its 'horses for courses' ? No point WBP'ing a 3D or profile type model (although I did WBPU a printed profile warbird to seal the printed covering-it flew fine), but definately a must if you are building a scale warbird and you want a scale finish, imho?
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Sep 05, 2009, 08:03 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Eeye, Scale .... well spotted !!! But I would assume (?) that there are weight concessions made for the "appearance"... Our "sport" aircraft need all the Lightness possible for the silly things we expect the plane to do ....hahahahaha