HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:55 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,878 Posts
Video
Libelle flies on a warm winter afternoon, Mormon Lake Overlook

We are in a February thaw... lots of sunshine and relatively warm temperatures. This past Monday I took advantage of a nice 12-14 W to WSW breeze and took Libelle for a spin. It was a wonderful floaty day. Here is a short clip (1:30):

Libelle flying Mormon Lake Overlook, 02-09-15 (1 min 31 sec)

Video was shot using my GoPro2 strapped to the back of the transmitter (Tran-Cam) and edited on our new Macbook Pro using iMovie. I love the computer; but will have to upgrade the software. Music is from a (new to me) instrumental album, Speechless (2005), by Bruce Cockburn.
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:17 AM
Bernoulli was only guessing.
United States, CA, Scotts Valley
Joined Dec 2007
280 Posts
Tran-Cam

Wow looks like a great place to fly, and some nice flying skills.
Tspin is offline Find More Posts by Tspin
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:18 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
United States, CO, Montrose
Joined Aug 2005
3,146 Posts
Very nice.
Dragon 2 is online now Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:40 PM
Toaster, not Toast
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2014
61 Posts
That was some beautiful and elegant flying. Mesmerizing to watch.

-Topher
Toastermoore is offline Find More Posts by Toastermoore
Old Feb 13, 2015, 01:57 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,726 Posts
Very Nice Job Dawson, one of your best yet. Enjoyed that.
Cheers, Jimbo.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Feb 13, 2015, 03:19 PM
Joined Aug 2014
324 Posts
Great flying, looks like the perfect spot! Do you have to increase the throws over the manual's suggested "high rate" throws in order to do acrobatics like that?
thenickdude is online now Find More Posts by thenickdude
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:03 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,878 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. It was a perfect day for Libelle... ideal slope lift and solid thermals drifting through.

She is getting a bit beat up, so I think I will get a new one, for Weaselfest, and start doing some mods on this one. I have already increased the rudder surface by about 3/4" using some transparent tape. If you have eagle eyes you may have noticed it on the video. Next mod will be a reduced dihedral wing and then a pull-pull mad stab. I am not sure how to do it yet... not much room in the pod for a large elevator horn/pulley.

@thenickdude: My throws are close to Michael's suggested high rates. I have a few millimeters more aileron throw and down elevator. I am flying 100% throws using the first hole on the pod servo horns and second hole on the aileron servo horns (HS35's). I am using snap flaps all the time... a bit more reflex than camber.

I try to fly as smooth as I can and with as much speed as possible. This really keeps the roll rate up. I also try to stay in the best possible lift on the slope (i.e. "juicy" spots, mini bowls, etc) and use favorable shifts and gusts was they appear. I learned this early on watching and flying with Surfimp and Michael R. at Weaselfests. Those guys, and many other locals, really know how to work the Bluffs. I do have full throw 4th axis control on the centered throttle stick which is useful for some radical maneuvers... like really tight loops, brakes, "instant" recoveries, etc.

One other note... I am finding that Libelle likes to flat spin best with little to no wing camber/reflex. The added rudder surface seems to help that as well.

Dawson
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh