SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2014, 08:34 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
480 Posts
Sorry to hear about the short, that has got to be frustrating. If anyone can overcome this, it will be you.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2014, 12:35 AM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
432 Posts
Someone just got a box of goodies from Digikey!
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:14 AM
Dizzying Heights
New Zealand, Southland, Invercargill
Joined Feb 2003
1,067 Posts
I would be interested in a couple of these for micro blimp work.
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:50 PM
Joined Sep 2004
432 Posts
PM sent.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:07 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,500 Posts
Hey! Me too!
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:02 PM
crazygary
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2011
297 Posts
Holy frijoles, Adam!!

When you say "micro", you're as serious as a heart attack!!

Most impressive! I await your marketing when it becomes available!

CG
crazygary is offline Find More Posts by crazygary
Old Dec 18, 2014, 02:15 AM
Joined Nov 2011
168 Posts
Hi all, here is my servo hack for micro reversing ESCs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVENvISQs4
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC
Last edited by Ron_RC; Dec 18, 2014 at 02:17 AM. Reason: video did not appear
Old Dec 19, 2014, 09:36 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,500 Posts
A hacked servo will indeed provide a micro reversing ESC and it's all I have to use on my micro blimps. I replace the pot with smd resistor chips. Small and light weight.

But it's a poor substitute for a dedicated micro reversing ESC. The deadband in servo electronics is very narrow and floats with voltage and temperature. I have to constantly adjust my trims to maintain 'zero' during the course of a flight. Then there's the non-linear response that must be heavily shaped with expo at the transmitter. Not every servo board will put up with constant full power either. Many will simply cut out after a little hard use.

So while hacked servos will do the job in a pinch, I don't want to have to work around their quirks anymore.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2004
432 Posts
Getting Back Into Things

Guys, I am starting to make my way back into projects like this. The delay has been caused by both personal tragedy as well as moving twice and supporting a work project by going to live out of a hotel for three months while I troubleshot an issue with a vendor part at work.

I do plan on getting back to these little guys. I have over the past year been able to build a handful of these and send them to some customers. They have had some small modifications made in the process to improve the end product. I have heard good reports back.

As a caution, these are not for the casual builder. They will require soldering. I have not had any issues with the units in the field (approx 10 units).

Adam
Old Jan 19, 2015, 02:51 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
480 Posts
Adam,
Great to hear that you are getting back to these gems. How about doing a summary of all the features built into these?

Peace,
Tom
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:38 PM
Joined Sep 2004
432 Posts
Device Specs

Feature Set

*Brushed Motor Controller providing control in both the Forward and Reverse directions
*1.8A rated current (3.5A burst)
*1s and 2s lipo battery rated (device should operate up to 10V, but Low Voltage Detection most likely will not function as desired)
*Low Voltage Cutoff for both 1s and 2s operation - Device reduces throttle to half of the commanded position (note that this device will not cut the throttle completely as it is more important to make it back to shore than to ensure battery life).
*Overcurrent Protection - Device will momentarily shut down the power till the over current condition has been cleared.
*Over Temperature Protection - Device will momentarily shut down till the over temperature condition has been cleared.
*Start up Throttle Safety - Device will not arm till it has been brought to neutral throttle.
*Small Size - Device has a footprint of .25" x .6"
**Software Upgradable - This is an advanced feature that would require the end user to have a Microchip device programmer to be able to perform the upgrade. To achieve this, the programming pads (ISCP) have been brought out to the edge of the board.

While many of these features are standard on larger ESC's, they are hard to find on a smaller device. This device attempts to bring the necessary features for smaller boats (or other craft) into a tiny package.

One of these features relates to operating in confined spaces. This can present challenges in heat dissipation. The advantage that this device has over other ESC's in this size range is its thermal protection that is built into the device. The ESC will shut down the output till the device reaches a safe operating temperature.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 04:31 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,500 Posts
The features check all my wish list boxes.

The only thing I'd wish for is that the low voltage cutoff would throttle pulse instead of going to half power. So many reasons for lack of power, failing motors, stuff caught on props, etc. Throttle pulsing would give a clearer indication at a distance.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 06:14 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
308 Posts
Hello

My interest for this ESC is for the SMALL R.C static diving submarine I would like to use it in. Any chance you can increase the D.C brushed motor current capacity and still keep the esc as small as you can?

Also what is the cost of the esc for now?

George
George Jure is offline Find More Posts by George Jure
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:35 AM
Joined Sep 2004
432 Posts
George,

At this time, there is no way to increase the Amp capacity. It would require a complete redesign to do so. This does not mean that I am not looking at ways to do this in the future, it is just not an immediate possibility.

Adam
Old Jan 25, 2015, 06:26 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
913 Posts
1.8A continuous should be plenty for most small boats, as that's about 13 watts, more than any miniature sub can handle on a single screw without inducing serious handling issues due to torque roll.

However if you must have something with more current capacity, the CTi range is worth looking at. Does mean ordering overseas I'm afraid.

http://www.cti-modellbau.de/CTI-Fahrregler/
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture