SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:05 PM
My head in the clouds!
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2014
283 Posts
I was flying mine in some strong wind a few weeks ago. the wind was bringing it straight up and back! I had to do a few inverted back flips to get her straight. It was actually a lot of fun!
Cyclone Steve is offline Find More Posts by Cyclone Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:56 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshome View Post
I flew in about 15MPH winds last week. Mistake! Turned down-wind, cold breeze up her tail and a RH spiral dive into the ditch.

Since she started to fall from about 200' I had plenty of time to try various recovery methods. I never lost orientation, she just lost rotor speed and refused to unlock.

I was at about 3/4 throttle when I initiated the (aileron) turn down wind and the rotors were whizzing. I'm hoping wooden blades will help with this sudden loss of control.

Helicopters are a lot more friendly!!! Hell, gators are a lot more friendly
Do you think if you had had the pre-rotator system in the G2 you could have saved it? Ive been eyeing one of these for a long time, but if something like that's a possibility with a little wind, I might have to think a lot harder...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 24, 2015, 09:29 PM
crashing build's character.
United States, AL, Dora
Joined Mar 2008
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Do you think if you had had the pre-rotator system in the G2 you could have saved it? Ive been eyeing one of these for a long time, but if something like that's a possibility with a little wind, I might have to think a lot harder...
the pre rotator is definitely worth the money. a big difference when taking off on the ground.
onefastxp is offline Find More Posts by onefastxp
Old Feb 25, 2015, 06:17 PM
Joined Dec 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Nope. Getting off the ground has never been a problem and that's the only place the pre-rotator helps. It's the lack of inertia in the blades. They were really spinning when I started the down wind turn. I was a couple hundred feet up.

In calm conditions they are 'OK'. In calm conditions with the all moving head they are much nicer. Also my friends with balsa blades when it's calm is very nice.

High winds and superlight depron blades = trouble!

I have a 4G3 and that is a little devil, but responds to commands. Trex 450 a delight, Raptor 50 is like a flying schoolbus (very safe!). Auto-g? PITA!
dogshome is offline Find More Posts by dogshome
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:26 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,828 Posts
But if the problem was that it lost rotor speed, the pre-rotator should be able to spin them back up to get some lift even while in the air.......... at least, that's my thinking... anyone tried it?
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:15 AM
Joined Dec 2006
314 Posts
The pre-rotator is only a little ~480 size DC motor. It's just to get the blades turning before gathering a lot more more speed during the ground run or into the wind.

It won't get you out of trouble in the air and doesn't provide enough lift to get off the ground.

They are fun. Repairs are cheap and the only way to find out what they are like is to buy one

I absolutely would not recommend a novice pilot to try and learn to fly with one of these though!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:16 PM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,272 Posts
Folks, I really don't want to open up the infamous down wind turn debate again, but, the machine doesn't know it is flying in a wind. It moves with the airstream. It is the pilot that has the issue, trying to fly the same ground speed both upwind and downwind. That means your airspeed dropped when you turned downwind because you flew the aircraft to look the same groundspeed as you were going upwind.

Sounds to me like you pulled way too much back stick in the turn, bleeding airspeed, slowing down the rotor. The solution is full throttle and nose down to pick up airspeed again
cmd is online now Find More Posts by cmd
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:19 PM
Joined Aug 2014
322 Posts
Although I flew engine planes in the past, I started to fly DLG's several months ago. Reading cmd's post makes me a bit more confident to start flying the gyrocopter I recently bought.
I think I will fly some normal (strong) planes before that.
frater is offline Find More Posts by frater
Old Feb 27, 2015, 03:15 PM
Joined Dec 2006
314 Posts
I agree, it's my fault

However, it's more like owning a gator than any kind of dog. Ready to bite at no notice!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 03:45 PM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,272 Posts
The only problem I've had with flying the Auto G is orientation. I don't see as well as I once did and if I get it too far out, I cannot discern if it is banked right or left. I've placed color panels on the bottom of the fuselage, but that has not helped.

I suggest first flight (unless you have the G2 with spin up motor) in a wind of 10 mph or so. That will let the rotor spin up on the ground before you apply power. The key is to build rotor speed before lift off or it will roll right uncontrollably. It flies fine at just over 1/2 throttle, but I carry a bit more to help keep airspeed up. If your vision is like mine, keep it close. To turn, use a touch of aileron to create a modest bank. Release the aileron and use rudder to rudder the thing around. Be gentle on the elevator. Pulling on the elevator stick will decrease airspeed and thus rotor speed. For landing, fly it down to the runway, bleeding throttle back as you go. In a 10 mph breeze you may need to carry a bit of throttle as it can settle almost vertically.
cmd is online now Find More Posts by cmd
Old Mar 03, 2015, 04:57 PM
Joined Aug 2014
322 Posts
I haven't flown with my Auto-G2 yet. I first want to fly some more with powered planes before I try this one.
I am also interested in doing a conversion after I make some flights with it to get pitch on the rotor. Would this head for the Cierva make that conversion simpler?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Head_Set.html
frater is offline Find More Posts by frater