New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
973 Posts
New Product
48" Joker from FlyingFoam

FlyingFoam asked me to build up one of their new products, a 48" version of their smaller Joker, prior to its release this Thanksgiving. The smaller Joker, like the 6ft span Nurf, is a forward swept flying wing. The Joker series is a puller rather than a pusher like the Nurf.

Being a tractor design poses some problems for FPV, unless you like the prop spinning in the video. So I decided to try outboard wing mounting the video and HD cams. Rather than using a Gopro or Astak HD, I went with a #16 keychain cam due to its vastly lower profile and weight.

The build went smoothly except the preliminary instructions called for the wing hold down blocks to be placed with their centers at 3"...instead they should have been placed with the back end at 3".. this lead me to discover that the Rudder interfered with the block....so I had to relieve the front of the Rudder a bit (see pic below) to avoid covering it....just a minor change needed to the instructions to avoid this in the future...

The only other issue I found was that their prototype used a 150g 300W motor, while I used a 90g 400W motor....the factory prototypes could use a 3s 2200mah battery and required mounting the battery almost centered on the leading edge of the wing (which is the initial CG point for these swept forward wings)....
With the lighter motor, my balance trials prior to gluing the fuse together showed that even with a 3S 2200mah battery, I would never get enough weight forward to balance. This actually was a fortuitous thing since it forced me to use one of my 4s 3300mah batteries.
This not only gave me perfect balance, but also increased the duration to over 20 minutes and could give me maximum allowed 30sec output from the motor...

below are some pictures of the finished product and the maiden flight video...

I am impressed once again with the FlyingFoam designs....Nurf has become my favorite long haul, cruzin platform....and the Joker is a blast to fly! fast, smooth, aerobatic....just a groovin' plane....now if FlyingFoam would make a pusher version of the 48" Joker, it would be great for a GoPro also...it has plenty of load carrying capacity left...

48" FlyingFoam Joker Maiden (6 min 36 sec)

Equipment list is in the video description....
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Last edited by Atx_Heli; Oct 28, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:50 AM
Find More Posts by Mcrock
Joined Aug 2012
205 Posts
A picture of my Joker 48

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1407998969785.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 73.3 KB
Description:
Mcrock is online now Find More Posts by Mcrock
Old Apr 03, 2015, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
205 Posts
Just uploaded a video of my Joker 48 in action..
Joker48 (11 min 52 sec)

Cheers M
Old Jul 22, 2015, 01:57 AM
Find More Posts by Rfriedman
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2012
419 Posts
Hi guys! I just started the build. Im amazed how strong it is with the spars in. Only issue is a bit of flex on the joint between the 2 spars. The epoxy may need more curing time, but otherwise some strapping tape may work over the joint.

I'll be building mine for fpv bashing, so the video gear and uhf rx will be in the wings.

I am not sure if I will use included laminate (which feels like 3mil), or the 5mil that I got from Canuck Engineering. Anyone running true 5mil on theirs?
Rfriedman is online now Find More Posts by Rfriedman
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:54 AM
Joined Aug 2012
205 Posts
Just the kit laminate. . Nothing else is required.
If you need to strengthen the wings .. source some 3mm Fibre Glass rod and lay in front of the kit spars top and bottom at 15 mm in front which effectively creates a box type spar arrangement.

Do not cut the glass rod tho. Lay in as one piece by simply bending it to go out to both wings sides. Gentle bend only.
To match top and bottom. . Use some t pins to get the correct position for the spar that goes under neath. . I am now doing this on all my Nurf builds and you can really feel the difference.

A strip of fibre tape down the leading edge prevents the EPP from tearing in a crash. Use 3M 77 where you intend to stick that tape on to get it to stick well. Lightly sand that tape before you lam.
Paint first with light coats of Rusteolum 2x for a good way to add color. Best paint I have used on EPP but needs a few days to really dry before lam goes on.
Also make sure you balance the wing laterally or it will fly to the heavy side.

I use a 4s 3300 battery and the engine produces 600 watts of power.

Hope this helps with ideas.

Cheers M
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:54 AM
Joined Jul 2012
419 Posts
Thanks do much! Name: uploadfromtaptalk1437630706261.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 799.7 KB
Description:

Heres what I did for joiner reinforcement. If I hold the middle down and pull the tips of the wing up, the bottom spar gets pulled apart at the joiner. The epoxy sort of sucks. But with new small carbon ribbon ca'd in, it is minimized. Next time I would wrap in fiberglass strands or dental floss and ca together.

I already sanded wing. It has so much more surface area for laminate to adhere to. Definetly going to use strapping tape on leading edge and around the trailing edge root part in between elevons.

Hs-65's going in tonight. I am going to pocket for a 4s 1800 to keep plane light. Not for long range so I can always swap batts, or use a diff plane. Ill be happy with 15 minuted on the 1800's. Running turingy 3530 1100kv, some 7 to 8 inch prop should work.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 04:10 AM
Joined Aug 2012
205 Posts
This is the Engine I am running http://www.myrcmart.com/leopard-lc35...12-p-4968.html

The same engine also works well on the Nurfs.

Quality engine with very low emf . I am also only using a Castle 50 amp esc and I have tested the amp draw at full power and it is well below 50 amps..
You might find the 3300 4s battery a better fit.
Handling on that set up is absolutely awesome.

It's easier to pack out a pocket to fit a particular battery but it is harder to recut for a larger battery.

The extra joiner you show will be good as well .. I used fishing braid and epoxy. . Braid wrapped around the join area and epoxy...

Prop wise. I am running a 11x6 folder.
The folding hub is a Team Black Sheep one as it has prop stops front in back so no loss of prop pulling power.... plastic spinner custom cut to fit.

M
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:27 AM
Joined Jul 2012
419 Posts
Mrock,
Haha I run a motor similar to that on my Cularis glider. 3542 920kv from Value hobby. It's the same color too
http://www.valuehobby.com/g15-lc3542...outrunner.html

For now I went with turnigy 3530 to keep it light. Although I have lots of 4s 3000, I would rather keep the plane light. The 4s 1800 40C will have no problem delivering 40 amps. Not sure why I would go for heavier battery still, as the wing won't fly that much different. Stall speed will be a bit lower, but I will be able to pull tighter turns at low speed, and it will have less potential and kinetic energy if I hit trees.

I will take your suggestion though and pocket it for the larger one. Just prob won't use the big batts a lot.

Up at altitude I run 12x6 on that motor, and it gets toasty.

Today I cut servo bays in wing, and pocketed out the battery bay and rudder bay. Not sure where the pushrod goes for the rudder, but I will figure it out. I accidentally pocket the fuse on the wrong sides, so I had to flip the halves. It still goes together just fine

Waiting for the uhf rx to arrive before I laminate wings. It's going under the laminate permanently. I already have iftron 200mW.
Going to run pz0420 mini on the canopy, and if I can not spend other money, I will buy pan and a $50 headtracker for my domV2's, along with a $30 afromini for stabilization. Both headtracking and stabilization are largely unnecessary and can be added later.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 04:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
205 Posts
If you used a Sparky 2 board or even the fpvbrain flight controller board ... which has the built in OSD.
You could mount that in the wings permently as well to give you your full Osd etc for a very clean setup.
Sparky will give you your flight controller and UHF on the one board and soon to be released the vtx and Osd all in one unit.

Lots of cool ideas out there now for sure.
M
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
419 Posts
Yup. Well I taking gear out of my balsa racer. Gives me rangelink, and afromini flight controller. I have spare osd I can use.

Finished laminating wing. Ill lam the elevons and solder on mpx connector.

All the electronics will go in the fuse, but the more I put in the weaker it gets... Prob start with basic fpv then add an osd for batt voltage if I feel it needs one.
Last edited by Rfriedman; Jul 25, 2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 10:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
419 Posts
Finished the build just before dark. Cut the slit in the wing for the rudder at the field and had to tape the back of the wing down because I couldnt thread the wing bolt. It was too dark to see. I then threw the plane in a rush and it did a solid lawn dart right from my hand
I probably should have checked the cg before I threw, but it was a solid 3/4 inch back! Doh.

I am curious though why mine would be so faar back. Even with a 4s 1800 halfway out the top latch, it still is 1/4 inch back. I do have a rudder servo and rangelink both behind the cg, but that isnt much weight. Just looking at the plane it seems that only the motor is in front of cg. Most of the wing, and fuse is behind it.
Old Aug 03, 2015, 03:06 AM
Joined Aug 2012
205 Posts
It needs the 139 gram engine up front and a 50 amp esc.
Not sure of your set up engine weight.
CG is right on the leading edge

My battery is pushed quite a way in towards the tail.

Try to work on your set up to achieve that CG.
I bet you are pleased you cut out for a 4s battery.
Remember I am using a 3300 4s as well and it balances nice.

Cheers M
Old Aug 05, 2015, 06:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
419 Posts
I need to add a heavy spinner for sure, possibly a folding one for more weight. With a fat 4s 65C 2200mah cg is 1/4 behind LE. Ill tape some quarters for now. During hand running/gliding tests it wants to nose down hard unless I pull full up. Maybe I am not running fast enough?
Old Aug 06, 2015, 04:51 AM
Joined Aug 2012
205 Posts
The trailing edge on mine - both sides of the fin has a little bit of reflex up ... out to the elevons.
Just turned out that way..
Do you have the correct reflex on the elevons.

Also it should balance exactly on the leading edge of the wing but from the bottom of the fuse as per plans..

M
Old Aug 09, 2015, 01:29 AM
Joined Jul 2012
419 Posts
It was just a cg issue.

Maidened today and I am thoroughly impressed. Best plane I have flown! The forward swept semi symmetrical wing makes it unstallable, and fly on rails no matter if it is gliding or full throttle. It also is a blast to fly in hi rates.

Here is some flying from today.
Joker 48 2nd flight (0 min 48 sec)

I ended up having to fly with a 4s 3000 all the way forward. With a heavy spinner and video gear, I may be able to fly with 1800