HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2015, 03:12 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,559 Posts
Who is old? The 40 years was round figures. I started at least 48 years ago.

My first TX was a single channel one with one button. One click for left and two for right and we sometimes missed the right turn. Just had to click it at the right speed.

My transmitter had batteries that were so heavy the battery box and transmitter sat on the ground with a 9 foot antenna.

Then I got my first 4 channel basic Futaba which cost around $420 when I was getting about $10 a week. (might have been $20 to $40 by then)

So no one can complain about the cost of transmitters, receivers and servos these days. How time flies.

Wish I had an AXN 48 years ago. (foam was not invented - it was all balsa and tissue paper and dope - sola film soon after)
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Mar 15, 2015 at 03:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2015, 01:10 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Who is old? The 40 years was round figures. I started at least 48 years ago.

My first TX was a single channel one with one button. One click for left and two for right and we sometimes missed the right turn. Just had to click it at the right speed.

My transmitter had batteries that were so heavy the battery box and transmitter sat on the ground with a 9 foot antenna.

Then I got my first 4 channel basic Futaba which cost around $420 when I was getting about $10 a week. (might have been $20 to $40 by then)

So no one can complain about the cost of transmitters, receivers and servos these days. How time flies.

Wish I had an AXN 48 years ago. (foam was not invented - it was all balsa and tissue paper and dope - sola film soon after)
I think my first transmitter was a 2 channel Heathkit that I built my self. Had to wind up a big rubber band for servo power and only had rudder and elevator. An .049 motor that ran wide open until out of gas then you glided in. If you ran out of rubber band before fuel you chased it. Climbed a lot of trees in those days.

Sudsy

Sudsy is online now Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Mar 21, 2015, 03:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Plymouth
Joined Aug 2012
35 Posts
I put the wing tips back on my AXN and took it slope soaring the other day. It actually flew pretty good. Will have to try the BF109 next time haha
CaptainPasty is offline Find More Posts by CaptainPasty
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:26 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
1,052 Posts
Ok, It's ready to maiden!

I finally decided on witch receiver/tx system to use and finished up the Clouds Fly this evening. I am using the FrSky non telemetry system here I think it's the V8DRF receiver that came with my FrSky DJT transmitter module for the 9X. It has diversity antennas which you can see on the bottom of the fuselage just behind the wing. I cut a door under the wing on the left side and the receiver is mounted there. Stock Motor and servos. I am also building 2 Bixlers. One will be stock and the other a full dedicated long range FPV plane. I thought this plane would be a good trainer and I will add lights for night flying which is always fun when I go camping.

Sudsy

Sudsy is online now Find More Posts by Sudsy