SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:01 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,079 Posts
Discussion
Cable pulley size

I was wondering is anyone knows the dia of the cable pulleys on the early ' Primary Gliders '

Kinda look like 2" but hard to tell in a pic

i'am just going over my notes and want to be sure that I have them right

Thanks, G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:22 PM
Joined Dec 2003
599 Posts
Hello

See my PM
cheers
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
I was wondering is anyone knows the dia of the cable pulleys on the early ' Primary Gliders '

Kinda look like 2" but hard to tell in a pic

i'am just going over my notes and want to be sure that I have them right

Thanks, G Don
vintagesailplnr is online now Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:00 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
195 Posts
I've been making plans for a Sweitzer SGP-1. The pulleys in the pictures look like about 4" os so.
I'm happy to hear the opinions so others.

Got to figure out how to make then next.
Airbus is offline Find More Posts by Airbus
Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2003
599 Posts
Pulleys

Hi:

I've had good luck with an aluminum rod and aluminum disks. I buy 1/4" - 1/2" aluminum rods. You do not need/want the hardest type. ON-LINE metals has great selection of metals, much cheaper than K&S. 4" full scale pulleys at 1/3 scale are quite big ( 1 1/3 ") and very easy to make

I cut 1/4 " slices off of the rod. These becomes the inside. I cut two 1/32 slices off of a 1/2 - 3/4" aluminum rod. Drill 1/64 inch holes in the drum and side disks. 00 by 3/4" bolts (Proctor Enterprises) hold it together. Brass also works and can be soldered. If you plan on bolting the pulley to the wooden frame, this center bolt can hold the whole thing together. Your choice.

I do the same thing with wooden dowel (can be glued!) and 1/32" ply for the outside disks. I use a brass tube sharpen to cut my disks. I also have a selection of fancy brass cork hole-cutter from chem lab.

OF course Proctor Enterprises can supply lots of metal pulleys for primaries.
cheers
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbus View Post
I've been making plans for a Sweitzer SGP-1. The pulleys in the pictures look like about 4" os so.
I'm happy to hear the opinions so others.

Got to figure out how to make then next.
vintagesailplnr is online now Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:34 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
2,128 Posts
McMaster-Carr has some pulleys. That's what I used for my 1/4 scale DH-5. I made the cages from lithoplate after making an appropriate paper 'fold-up' pattern.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:52 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,079 Posts
Hi Guys

Just made these cable pulleys out of 3/4 6061 T6 alum bar stock, they have a .055 wide grouve for a .049 cable

They are for the cable steering in two 46" long Crackerbox runabout's that my friend and I are building

As far as I can tell the primary has two different size pulleys , a 2" on the fuse sides etc and a bigger one for the steering stick yoke where the cable does a 180 degree wrap at the front and goes out the back to the stab

Thanks for your help, G Don
Old Mar 25, 2015, 06:45 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,079 Posts
Hi Airbus

What size will your primary be, any make that you are going to make your's look like

G Don
Old Mar 25, 2015, 06:55 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
195 Posts
I'm thinking 1/3 scale. That would make about a 10' span and a fuse big enough for the servos.

Currently I'm building a 1/3 scale Schweizer 2-33a so the primary will have to wait until next year. For now I'm collecting info and planning construction etc.
Airbus is offline Find More Posts by Airbus
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:02 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,079 Posts
This is what I have come up with for my 80" primary, took a little here and a little there and put this together

This will be a non- flyer just to look at, since my flying days are over as I cant look up no more or I will tip over

My first build in 30 yrs and really looking forward to seeing some wood come together

G Don