SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2015, 09:59 AM
Joined Mar 2015
1 Posts
Question
Reverse engineering/Automating a SYMA x12 quadcopter

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, so please excuse me if this or something similar has been asked before.

A few friends and I have purchased the Syma X12 quadcopter. After figuring out you could pair a few of them to the same controller, we began wondering how we could automate these little guys.

After hooking up a spectrum analyzer, I could see the approximate frequencies the controller was sending out data on in the 2.4ghz range. The spikes in the attached graphic seem to be pretty consistent, although I assume it's using FHSS/DSSS in some form, which in theory should be bouncing around a few pseudo-random frequencies in a given range.

The pairing message looks like it's getting sent in the 2.40 to 2.41 range, because one it's paired, that spike disappears completely while the others are still pumping away.

I popped the lid off the copter itself and saw it was using the 'sm-x12-r v5' board. The writing on the chips themselves are a bit too tiny to read, but I'll hopefully remedy that next week at work with one of our high-powered magnifiers.

We could certainly build our own quadcopter, but half the fun of this projects is reverse engineering what Syma is doing and trying to see if we can send it signals of our own.

Does anyone have any experience with things like this? I'd love to hear any ideas or feedback on which direction to go next without knowing exactly what type of chips they are using on the board.

Thanks!
Jay
jaybird1905 is offline Find More Posts by jaybird1905
Last edited by jaybird1905; Mar 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts