SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:46 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
48 Posts
Discussion
Lack of new warbirds

It appears there's been a lull on new warbirds the last several months. Anyone know of any new planes coming out from the various manufacturers?
denbensd is offline Find More Posts by denbensd
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:35 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,566 Posts
This time of year is usually pretty dry in terms of new warbird announcements. But, if you ask me, it appears that the warbird market is currently saturated. There are a lot of warbirds out there sitting on shelves or in warehouses. Wouldn't be surprised to see some good deals on current warbirds here during the last part of summer/early fall

Kman
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:30 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
48 Posts
Thanks for your input Kman. I certainly agree with the market being saturated in terms of the foamies.
denbensd is offline Find More Posts by denbensd
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:35 AM
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,401 Posts
Some of them are even being discontinued, like the Durafly P-47 for instance. Also, there seems to be a bit more of a focus on civilian aircraft (which annoys me as they don't float my boat like warbirds do).
Merlin Power is online now Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:46 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2012
562 Posts
Several should be coming out soon.
FMS P-40 980mm
Durafly P-40 1100mm
HK C-47
Seen in HK videos would include a Lancaster bomber and Sea Fury. Clearly the Lancaster is in production as seen in HK's lastest weekly video.
Scamp73 is online now Find More Posts by Scamp73
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:47 PM
United States, IL, Northbrook
Joined Sep 2011
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Power View Post
Also, there seems to be a bit more of a focus on civilian aircraft (which annoys me as they don't float my boat like warbirds do).
If they releases a PC-21 or Super Tucano I'd still be pretty happy
Dirty Dee is online now Find More Posts by Dirty Dee
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:54 PM
Denmark - Scandinavia - Europe
Joined Nov 2010
103 Posts
Need a mean looking bf-109!!!
Von Tiergarten is offline Find More Posts by Von Tiergarten
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:55 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
This time of year is usually pretty dry in terms of new warbird announcements. But, if you ask me, it appears that the warbird market is currently saturated. There are a lot of warbirds out there sitting on shelves or in warehouses. Wouldn't be surprised to see some good deals on current warbirds here during the last part of summer/early fall

Kman
That's because the same models keep showing up over and over again and nobody's willing to take a risk on less-modeled airplanes.

When something new does show up, like the Durafly and Dynam BF-110s, they're a huge hit.

But people are tired of P-51Ds.

I wanted a Ki-61 and had to go to a 50-size Nitro to get it, even tho I would've preferred a smaller foamy.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:22 PM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,542 Posts
With the old Hanger 9 planes discontinued, even some of the 50 ep hanger 9's discontinued it is sure hard to find a 60 sized Spit which is even close to scale. maybe they will make an update like the 109 and p-47.
Lexta is offline Find More Posts by Lexta
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Royal Australian Navy Sea Fury
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:04 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
That's because the same models keep showing up over and over again and nobody's willing to take a risk on less-modeled airplanes.

When something new does show up, like the Durafly and Dynam BF-110s, they're a huge hit.

But people are tired of P-51Ds.

I wanted a Ki-61 and had to go to a 50-size Nitro to get it, even tho I would've preferred a smaller foamy.
If you are referring to the VQ Models Ki-61, I am right there with you. I just received mine a week ago because it is the only option available out there.

Kman
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:21 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
If you are referring to the VQ Models Ki-61, I am right there with you. I just received mine a week ago because it is the only option available out there.

Kman
I was lucky enough to find one of the old Kyoshos.

Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:35 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,566 Posts
You were lucky. They are a dying breed

Kman
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:42 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,398 Posts
HK's new Sea Fury with a 1200 wingspan and running 4s with a 5 blade prop looks like it could interesting.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Aug 30, 2014, 09:50 AM
Short bursts, Don't waste ammo
United States, GA
Joined Feb 2006
206 Posts
It seems people are growing tired of ARFs due to lack of variety. The amount of modifications that are being done to them anyway it would seem to make sense to just build what you want anyway. You could get the aircraft you want in terms of size, components, and color scheme. Not to mention the variety of materials and tools available to modelers today, there is an enormous potential for creativity.
RCAV8R1964 is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8R1964
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:59 AM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8R1964 View Post
It seems people are growing tired of ARFs due to lack of variety. The amount of modifications that are being done to them anyway it would seem to make sense to just build what you want anyway. You could get the aircraft you want in terms of size, components, and color scheme. Not to mention the variety of materials and tools available to modelers today, there is an enormous potential for creativity.
Agreed but building space is limited for many. Paints and balsa dust just not permitted in a lot of shared living spaces. Not everyone has a house with land and workshop. So ARF's are for some the only option. I went with foam for many years but really want to go back to balsa as my balsa planes fly better and last longer.
Lexta is offline Find More Posts by Lexta
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Royal Australian Navy Sea Fury